Boy's balloon finds pen-pal: the Queen

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
Boy's balloon finds pen-pal: the Queen

Wed May 30, 10:06 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A 4-year-old boy who released a balloon with a message hoping to find a pen pal in a foreign land ended up having a correspondence with the Queen.

Tom Stancombe let go of his helium balloon in Hampshire, but rather than flying across to France or half way around the world, it ended up just 20 miles (32 km) away, landing inside Windsor Castle, the Daily Mail reported.
The Queen instructed her personal assistant to reply and so the monarch and the boy, helped by his parents, exchanged a series of letters, mostly about the fact that one of the boy's ancestors, an artist, had works in the royal art collection.
"She (the Queen) was delighted to find that your balloon had travelled all the way to the gardens at Windsor Castle," the monarch's assistant wrote.
Asked if he thought his son would be exchanging any more letters with the Queen, Tom's father said: "I don't expect we'll get another one, but I think it's incredible they bothered replying at all."

(http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070530...ueen_penpal;_ylt=ArNDitH8NMyxvEgM0JSVZ9jtiBIF)

^:roflmfao:

No one replied back to me when I was young and did this. We did at school and the whole class let a ballon go to find penpals. Mine probably flew into the ocean and some poor marine animal ate it. :sad:

That is very cool of the Queen to write back. I am sure the boy was very shocked when he saw who his new penpal was!

Maybe I should try sending one to Prince William. :graucho: