Boyfriend Shopping for Christmas Present Help

DearBf

Aug 20, 2009
Hi all you bbag ladies out there.

First of all, im a guy and i've spent the past 2 days reading this forum for the sole purpose of understanding and learning more about what makes girls love bags so much.

after much reading and wear on my eyes, (pls direct me if this a repeat thread or whatsoever) i couldnt find what i was looking for.

background:

i love my girlfriend very much. and she deserves so much more which she isnt getting. so this christmas (& 1st anniversary) i really want to get her a bag (fyi, its about my one month's salary). and i really really dont want to make a wrong choice.

she always says she wants this bag or this shoe (and ive feel sad not being able to afford them) but ive always had problems understanding her til now (w/ regards to shoes im still very very very hopelessly completely lost). i really do want to understand her.

i figured of all the brands, besides hermes (out of my league), balenciaga was the right choice for quality, rareness and blah blah. i hope im right?

Current situation:

ive figured that a city or part time would be good. but colours are the part i do not understand. i really do not want to get a colour she does not like. that'll suck.

my question is, what are some safe colours?

and if youve got any advice to dispense, please, shoot.

Residing in Singapore makes the choices really limited and though i do not want to order online i may have to resort to that.

which is my second question, safe online buying?

i understand this ebayer ****** has been selling since 2005. yes, ive read the negative thread about her. and i really dont wish to take the risk.

i understand its a little early, but i really want to make things perfect for her. so i dont screw up.

ANY advice is much appreciated! :yahoo:

What colors does she usually wear? To be ULTRA safe, I suggest a Fall/Winter Black Regular Hardware(rh) City. Either that, if she likes red/pink, it would be Pourpre rh City!

Buy from either Paris, [email protected]

or Cannes, [email protected]

which is cheaper than the Balenciaga in Hilton Hotel Singapore. You may want to order earlier just in case.

PLUS, its actually ultra safe to buy from ******! You can email Erica at ******@gmail.com

Edit: AND you're really sweet!! I'm sure she'll love your thoughtful gift no matter what!

Last edited:
Hi, fellow Singaporean! What a sweet boyfriend you are! I'm so touched by the extent you'd go through to get your girlfriend a nice gift :smile:

Ok, being a girl, let me give you some advice: firstly, I would try to make sure that Balenciaga is a brand she likes. I am particular about my bags and I only like particular brands. So, I don't like certain brands, no matter how popular they are. While I would be really touched if my boyfriend tried to get me something very special, I also wouldn't want him to spend so much on a bag I won't like (because, chances are, I won't carry it - or rather, I'll carry it because my BF was sweet enough to get it, but I'd rather he bought something I really like).

What I'm trying to say is, try to find out if Balenciaga is for her.

Once you've worked that out, I would suggest getting her a Black City (with regular hardware) - it's the SAFEST choice. It's the most popular and most iconic style and most people love it, so you've a good chance that she will. But, if she's the sort who hates black handbags (you'll be able to tell from her collection) or only carries big bags, then you might want to try something else. Why don't you peek in her collection and let us know what size bags and what colours she has?

Safe online buying - ****** is very legit, but if you don't feel comfortable, I understand. I believe that one negative thread only told one side of the story and it was a misunderstanding. You can also try Real Deal Collection (www.realdealcollection.com) - very good range of bags, very legit.

But, if your girlfriend's not the sort to like older, pre-used bags, then I would suggest that you stick to buying from Balenciaga stores. Try the Hilton store... or call the stores overseas - but you'll need to know what you're looking for.

Hope that helps... and good luck!

I would suggest getting her a Black City (with regular hardware) - it's the SAFEST choice. It's the most popular and most iconic style and most people love it, so you've a good chance that she will.

This is sound advice! :tup: I couldn't have said it better myself. :yes:

DearBF: You are very thoughtful and sweet! I hope that she will love whatever you buy her. Good luck to you! ;)

she varies her wardroble but usually its black or white and basic colours.
hardly does she wear something with large prints or such.

Thanks for the recommend, i'll probably research much more before contacting them as i still have the liberty of time.

I will order 2 months in advance, would that be sufficient time?

Actually i did email erica this morning, but til now she's not gotten back to me. (that was before i read the negative thread and wanted to play it safe)

thanks. i hope so too. i'm going to pair it with a suite or someplace for us to really relax and be happy cos thats all i want for her.

thanks for your response.

oh yes, she's short (150+cm), just a little bit meaty and the prettiest girl ive ever met.
i dont know which bag suits her physically? does it play a part?

^^ Erica's just had a baby (and she lives in NY), so give her some time to get back to you. She's really great and very professional. However, she's probably all sold out of her Cities already, if that's the style you're thinking of getting.

I think a City would be the perfect size for her.

Hi, fellow Singaporean! What a sweet boyfriend you are! I'm so touched by the extent you'd go through to get your girlfriend a nice gift :smile:

Ok, being a girl, let me give you some advice: firstly, I would try to make sure that Balenciaga is a brand she likes. I am particular about my bags and I only like particular brands. So, I don't like certain brands, no matter how popular they are. While I would be really touched if my boyfriend tried to get me something very special, I also wouldn't want him to spend so much on a bag I won't like (because, chances are, I won't carry it - or rather, I'll carry it because my BF was sweet enough to get it, but I'd rather he bought something I really like).

i believe she does. because earlier she was ranting about the motorcycle bag. she loves the fendi spy as well (but doesnt everybody). wait, doesnt EVERYBODY like Balenciaga?
but youre right i'll have to be super subtle.

What I'm trying to say is, try to find out if Balenciaga is for her.

Once you've worked that out, I would suggest getting her a Black City (with regular hardware) - it's the SAFEST choice. It's the most popular and most iconic style and most people love it, so you've a good chance that she will. But, if she's the sort who hates black handbags (you'll be able to tell from her collection) or only carries big bags, then you might want to try something else. Why don't you peek in her collection and let us know what size bags and what colours she has?

she has a myraid of colours black x2, smooth milk chocolately brown x 2, white x1. she likes basic colours and studs. but i really really dont wanna go with black cos it'd be common, no?

Safe online buying - ****** is very legit, but if you don't feel comfortable, I understand. I believe that one negative thread only told one side of the story and it was a misunderstanding. You can also try Real Deal Collection (www.realdealcollection.com) - very good range of bags, very legit.

But, if your girlfriend's not the sort to like older, pre-used bags, then I would suggest that you stick to buying from Balenciaga stores. Try the Hilton store... or call the stores overseas - but you'll need to know what you're looking for.

Thanks, but i think i wanna get it new with the new bag smell and all that.

Hope that helps... and good luck!

its been a great help! Thanks!

Hm, I think because she is smaller the City would be perfect for her. It'd be wise to get her a bag that is smaller rather than larger (like a Work) because she may think it a pain to carry. The Part-Time could go either way...it's not much larger than the City but there is still a noticeable difference in the length. Of course the price is higher too.

Would you say that her arms are pretty slim? The City can be kind of tricky to carry on the shoulder for some because the handles are considered short. There is a sling shoulder strap attached but I find with my own City I prefer to put the handles on my shoulder instead, out of convenience.

I'm wondering if maybe a Day would be an even safer bet since it is a shoulder bag that is easy to carry and holds a lot of stuff. Check it out online and see if you think it could be something she'd like. If so I'd recommend a Black Day with the Classic/Regular hardware.

Hm, I think because she is smaller the City would be perfect for her. It'd be wise to get her a bag that is smaller rather than larger (like a Work) because she may think it a pain to carry. The Part-Time could go either way...it's not much larger than the City but there is still a noticeable difference in the length. Of course the price is higher too.

Would you say that her arms are pretty slim? The City can be kind of tricky to carry on the shoulder for some because the handles are considered short. There is a sling shoulder strap attached but I find with my own City I prefer to put the handles on my shoulder instead, out of convenience.

eh.. i would not say her arms are too slim. theyre not fat either. maybe about the size of can. (very very technical)

I'm wondering if maybe a Day would be an even safer bet since it is a shoulder bag that is easy to carry and holds a lot of stuff. Check it out online and see if you think it could be something she'd like. If so I'd recommend a Black Day with the Classic/Regular hardware.

whats the one with the gold hardware in your signature? looks damn sweet!

Thanks! everyone concurs with black? i was looking at the ciel also.i thought it was pretty nice.

Black, Brown, White... Sounds like she needs something dark red (Pourpre!)! You should head down to Hilton to look at the swatches that are already there (reported by dannkat :biggrin:)!

I don't want to impose on red because not everyone likes red. But basic colors...Try Galet? A pebble grey which is in Hilton already if i'm not wrong. Does she like Purple? Raisin is also quite neutral!

I would think if she has been ranting about Motorcycle bag (plus that insight that she likes Fendi Spy), she probably likes something that she can carry by the crook of her arm, shoulder.. So the City style would be the best (but carry by shoulder could be too snug for some).

Or Twiggy which is smaller but holds quite abit (more than First) and can carry on shoulder comfortably.

EDIT: Just read above, I wouldn't recommend Ciel because it is a light color, you definitely want the bag to last for a long time.. But light colors may get dirty easily if used frequently. Just my opinion!

EDIT: AND size of can sounds slim to me! City then! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ciel's very pretty - but can be troublesome to maintain (keep clean) because it's such a light colour. Bal blues are also prone to fading and yellowing.

How about Galet? It's a lovely pebble grey. Since your gf seems to like neutrals and has those colours, that might be up her alley. Tempete's also a very pleasing, easy colour to wear. You can pick them with regular hardware or giant hardware - like the one in Mia Bella's avatar.

Or she might appreciate something completely different for a change? Maybe get her Pourpre, which is a really rich but subtle red.

eh.. i would not say her arms are too slim. theyre not fat either. maybe about the size of can. (very very technical)

LOL! You're too funny. Well, that sounds average to me! The fact that she is petite will help a great deal too, I'm sure!

BTW, you're doing a great job giving us details. Much better than my own husband would. Earlier I asked if he liked shoes I was ordering and he said, "Looks like a shoe." Pretty awesome.

whats the one with the gold hardware in your signature? looks damn sweet!

Thanks! everyone concurs with black? i was looking at the ciel also.i thought it was pretty nice.

Thanks! My bag is an Anthracite City with Giant Gold Hardware. This Season's Anthracite is GORGEOUS, with a nice blue undertone. You can get the same combination as mine. It's a beautiful duo and Anthracite is a Balenciaga staple. :yes:

Ciel's very pretty - but can be troublesome to maintain (keep clean) because it's such a light colour. Bal blues are also prone to fading and yellowing.

How about Galet? It's a lovely pebble grey. Since your gf seems to like neutrals and has those colours, that might be up her alley. Tempete's also a very pleasing, easy colour to wear. You can pick them with regular hardware or giant hardware - like the one in Mia Bella's avatar.

Or she might appreciate something completely different for a change? Maybe get her Pourpre, which is a really rich but subtle red.

no light colours then, cause its her first bal bag, i really want it to last.
and no blues.

hmmm.. torn between pourpre and the grey to black tones. everyone could use a red bag, isnt that true?

very scary, i'm afraid that i'd get something she wont like, but she pretends to like it cos i got it for her, you get my drift?