Boycotted Ebay - Swarovski Ring Faisco

Serenifly

Nov 17, 2010
I sold a 200$ Swarovski ring on Ebay, Minimum Bid was 15.99

This chick from South America messaged me asking what price of shipping would be to her (I checked Canada Post/UPS/Fedex etc) If she wanted the original box and certificate then Canada Post would be 36$ cheapest shipping option, without tracking etc, so the risk would be hers.

She said if she won at 15.99$ CAD she would pay that shipping. In my head that's still a score for a Swarovski ring - mind with original packaging etc

She won, Was a bit miffed cuz it was only 51.99 $ for my ring but whatevs a deal is a deal

I shipped it out Canada Post that day, sent her a copy of my reciept showing how much it costed (39$ in the end) No insurance because she asked me to low-ball value to not get duty

a few days go by, she's FREAKING out because she hasn't gotten it yet, I tell her it's probably going to take a while cuz she lives a far ways away.

A few weeks go by, and shes demanding her $ back, I said no, because there is no way I'm going to be out my ring and the $ ... and to be patient, it had been 14 days by this point ...

Her next step was getting ebay involved, demanding a refund, I fought it, but in the end Ebay sided with her and gave her her $back, then now they're trying to get it out of me ... it took them HOURS to side with her not even asking my side ... and I got pissed cuz I could have just SAID that about any of my purchases, and gotten a refund ... all this chick had to do was ask ...

what makes me mad, is that maybe just maybe the ring showed up the next day, or the day after, and I'm out a ring and $ ....

I closed my Paypal and Ebay account that day cuz they're not getting a dime out of me ... (I know I know it's only 51$ ... ) :nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts:

Insurance is for the sellers benefit, not the buyers. If your package is lost, you would be the one reimbursed by the post office. Since you didn't buy insurance or tracking, she could very well be sitting with your ring and your money.

ALWAYS protect yourself .... buy insurance, tracking and signature confirmation. If buyers complain - then you don't want to sell to them.

Well, first of all it is your job as a seller to provide proof of delivery. You always get some kind of delivery confirmation or tracking on any packages you ship. It is not the buyers fault that her package did not arrive and it is your job as the seller to make sure you do everything possible to get it there safe and sound. It is also your responsibility to purchase any insurance to keep you from being out your money and your item.
Ebay saw that you did not have tracking info so they sided with the buyer almost instantly. This is also their policy.
Whether or not the buyer is lying is not really the problem. You will probably never know if she received the package or not.
Lesson learned here. Always get a tracking # on any packages you send.

Just an FYI, Paypal/eBay will get the money from you even if you have closed your account. They will send collections after you if need be. It is frustrating to refund; I had to refund for an INR in Italy and I KNOW the buyer received it and was lying because he listed it a few months later. I was out my item and my $$. I no longer sell on eBay.

Whatever you send out as a seller whether domestic/international- you need to use the shipping method with tracking number, otherwise, if the buyer claims INR, you're SOL..

Just an FYI, Paypal/eBay will get the money from you even if you have closed your account. They will send collections after you if need be. It is frustrating to refund; I had to refund for an INR in Italy and I KNOW the buyer received it and was lying because he listed it a few months later. I was out my item and my $$. I no longer sell on eBay.

WOW that's terrible! If that happened to me, I think I'd want to punch that person!

I only sold two items on Ebay, never purchased, this was my second item ever selling my first transaction was really smooth.

I should have just told her no in the end, because I only wanted to sell within north america ... I can bet she's sitting there with my ring and money... I was just more frustrated because she refused to pay for the extra $ to send it courier which would have insurance and tracking number, she agreed in email the risk would be hers. I guess it's full of loopholes though

Sorry OP, but the risk is the seller's no matter what she states in an e-mail to you. The seller has to protect themself by getting insurance, tracking, and by not lying on the customs form. Your buyer could have the money and the ring, or maybe it never will arrive. You will probably never know since you didn't put tracking on the package. Sorry your transaction was a bad one, but they aren't all bad.

I only sold two items on Ebay, never purchased, this was my second item ever selling my first transaction was really smooth.

I should have just told her no in the end, because I only wanted to sell within north america ... I can bet she's sitting there with my ring and money... I was just more frustrated because she refused to pay for the extra $ to send it courier which would have insurance and tracking number, she agreed in email the risk would be hers. I guess it's full of loopholes though
TBH, and I know this could be construed as harsh, but the rules and seller requirements and guidelines are there to help and protect you for the same type of reasons to prevent such scenarios like you are in now.

It's not to say you can't bend over to help buyers, but at the limits you did you risked yourself and I can guess and say they probably knew exactly why they were asking that information.

I sold a 200$ Swarovski ring on Ebay, Minimum Bid was 15.99

This chick from South America messaged me asking what price of shipping would be to her (I checked Canada Post/UPS/Fedex etc) If she wanted the original box and certificate then Canada Post would be 36$ cheapest shipping option, without tracking etc, so the risk would be hers.

She said if she won at 15.99$ CAD she would pay that shipping. In my head that's still a score for a Swarovski ring - mind with original packaging etc

She won, Was a bit miffed cuz it was only 51.99 $ for my ring but whatevs a deal is a deal

I shipped it out Canada Post that day, sent her a copy of my reciept showing how much it costed (39$ in the end) No insurance because she asked me to low-ball value to not get duty

a few days go by, she's FREAKING out because she hasn't gotten it yet, I tell her it's probably going to take a while cuz she lives a far ways away.

A few weeks go by, and shes demanding her $ back, I said no, because there is no way I'm going to be out my ring and the $ ... and to be patient, it had been 14 days by this point ...

Her next step was getting ebay involved, demanding a refund, I fought it, but in the end Ebay sided with her and gave her her $back, then now they're trying to get it out of me ... it took them HOURS to side with her not even asking my side ... and I got pissed cuz I could have just SAID that about any of my purchases, and gotten a refund ... all this chick had to do was ask ...

what makes me mad, is that maybe just maybe the ring showed up the next day, or the day after, and I'm out a ring and $ ....

I closed my Paypal and Ebay account that day cuz they're not getting a dime out of me ... (I know I know it's only 51$ ... ) :nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts:

No, sorry--the risk is all yours.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. It's a pain for sure.

Since you didn't have selling experience, you should have gone over the eBay/PP shipping procedures and rules, as well as all the other instructions, before listing, selling and shipping an item. You could have saved yourself this headache. Furthermore, if you wanted to ship within North America, why did you sell it to someone in South America?

Maybe she received the ring and is trying to scam you. Maybe she hasn't received it and thinks you're trying to scam her. Maybe she'll get it in a few days or weeks. Who knows... PP will likely send your account to collections.

Good luck!

Sorry tha happened to you
When it comes to shipping international I don't make any exceptions when shipping. I never lie on how much the item was. All packages are insured with tracking numbers. Like you, I used to try and ship things for a cheaper cost but one package got lost and I had to shell out the $50 for the INR. After that I stated in each auction how it will be shipped and my terms for international shipping. Anytime a buyer asks why is it so expensive I explain about the insurance and tracking number and that I only ship this way because it is safer to know where the package is.

OP, sorry this happened. But this is why I follow the rule that I will always insure any item that I'm not willing to lose the amount of. So usually I insure anything over around $50-75. It's SO frustrating but at the end of the day the insurance (as mentioned by many others) is there for YOUR protection. Without insurance or tracking you're out of luck.

But the one up side of this (albeit small) is that this was a $51 lesson and not a several hundred or thousand $ lesson as some people have had.

I have also heard a lot of horror stories about ebay and paypal. Paypal always sides with the buyer. Even if they are in the wrong and you have some type of proof. Selling on ebay is also getting out of hand. Final value fee is around 10% now. It's tough to make a profit with all the competition. My wife and I just set up a store front. We were going to list some bags on ebay, but it's not worth it. Not to mention all the possible fakes, buyers need to worry about. We were also going to use paypal merchant services, but didn't want to take the chance with any dishonest buyers.