Boxes will damage your LV Bags???

yumixpeach

Jun 14, 2009
I was just at Louis Vuitton the other day, and I asked my SA for extra boxes...

However she told me that I should never store my bags in boxes because the chemicals of the boxes would ruin the leather...
She said the best thing to do is store them in their dust bags...

However, on the Chanel thread I read about a similar debate...and some TPFers said it was ok...while other TPFers said that the stores themselves store the bags in boxes to keep the leather soft and smooth!

Whats going on? I've been keeping all my bags in their boxes...and now I don't know what to do!

Thanks so much girls ~_~

I would take them out of their boxes! I store mine in the dustbag, I have heard one to many horror stories about bags that have been ruined due to lack of air-

Yes, I have also been told that if you store your bag in the box, any items with vachetta will dry and can crack!

I highly advise you to store it in its dustbag and let them breathe.

My SA told me the same thing. She said that keeping your bags in the boxes causes the vachetta to crack and wrinkle. I always store all my bags in the dustbags only! You can use your boxes to store other items.

Let's put it this way ... vachette is leather, which is animal skin ... how would your skin end up looking if you were locked in an air-tight room for days, let alone months? Not so good I would imagine ... it would probably end up cracking ... same thing for vachette.

Boxes are for gift-giving purposes OR transporting items to their location of use. The dustbags avoid any dirt/dust/etc from affecting/getting on the bag, but lets it breathe at the same time.

I store all mine in boxes and nothing ever happened to mine... Just keep in mind that 90% of the SA's are clueless. They told my friend that her speedy she bought 2 weeks before at the boutique was fake.

Here is what mine look like.
PB300259.jpg

Then I label all my boxes.

PB290255.jpg

beljwl, in your case I think boxes are appropriate since you regularly rotate your bags. But for those that use a bag once and then let it sit for 3-6 months before using it again a box does not provide ample air circulation for the leather.

beljwl, in your case I think boxes are appropriate since you regularly rotate your bags. But for those that use a bag once and then let it sit for 3-6 months before using it again a box does not provide ample air circulation for the leather.

That is true. I do change my bags daily and rotate them equally so they get out and get air. Plus in Los Angeles we have almost zero humidity.

leather (vachetta) needs to breathe, so I don't store in boxes either, although i'd love to!
same goes for leather shoes and leather jackets. i think a short time is ok but lengthy times will dry it out, just like with shoes, etc.

Oh my gosh~! Thanks girls for the very informative comments! And yes I totally know what you mean when you say 90% of the SAs are clueless...when I walk into the store I know more of the names, styles, seasons..etc than they do!!
sad really..

well tomorrow I will be moving them all out!!

I store all mine in boxes and nothing ever happened to mine... Just keep in mind that 90% of the SA's are clueless. They told my friend that her speedy she bought 2 weeks before at the boutique was fake.

Here is what mine look like.
PB300259.jpg

Then I label all my boxes.

PB290255.jpg

Love your collection by the way and your doggies are adorable~!!