Boxers make good pets?

GTOFan

O.G.
Apr 12, 2006
My hubby and 12 yr old son have been bugging me :rant: :rant: :rant: to let them have a dog. I'm allergic to dogs and wonder if any of you can tell me if a boxer is okay for me?

The boys won't stand for any type of poodle-looking dog for me. :censor:

And it would be so unfair to the dog if it has to stay outside. :crybaby:

Any advice would be great!:yes:

Unfortunately nobody here can predict what you will or will not be allergic to. I can say that short haired dogs generally tend to be easier on the allergies but there's no gaurantee. :shrugs:

A friend of mine has a boxer and I know that it is a bigger type of dog that requires lots of exercise. In other words, it's not the kind of dog you buy and expect it to be happy and healthy just sitting in the house and going in the little backyard. They also drool alot....which can be kinda cute depending on how you look at it. lol :shame:

They're super cute dogs though and all the ones I've met have been good natured and good family pets.

Good luck on your decision!!

Our neighbor has a huge male boxer. He is very sweet, but so large and muscular that people are often scared of him based on looks alone. You have to have a very secure area for the dog to run and play. And yes, they drool a LOT and when they shake their bodies the drool goes flying everywhere.

If I were you, I'd do an internet search on different breeds and find one that is less likely to bother your allergies. Good luck!

My friends have Boxers and while they are great dogs - I couldnt live with the drool. ugh. They also shed alot which I think would bother your allergies. Have you looked into a Giant Schnazer (sp?). They dont shed and definitely dont look like poodles. They come in minature as well if you wanted a smaller one. Dont let the "Giant" scare you - they are not great dane size or anything.

It's hard for other people to guess whether or not a boxer would be a good dog for you or your allergies. They are not hypo-allergenic like a poodle.

The best way to decide is to look at websites specifically about boxers & books about boxers, and go from there. You can look up local (reputable) breeders and ask them any questions you have. You can find trustworthy breeders on the AKC website.

I suggest:
http://www.akc.org/breeds/boxer/index.cfm
http://www.boxer-dog.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_(dog)
http://www.petstation.com/whatdog.html
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/chbreed.html

Purina also has a website to help you choose a dog that will work the best with your lifestyle:
http://sy.adiho.com/ASA/Controller?adi_hasScript=1&_AD_195R22=97&adi_scriptSID=9EFE39066848A52DE300B231F2B1ACCF&sysid=4&appid=9901

Boxers are fabulous dogs. Such sweeties. You should definitely check your local shelter or www.petfinder.org because a lot of bad people get boxers for not the right reasons & then give them up.

If you are really interested in getting any dog and someone is allergic, really do your research. But just to give more background on the Boxer. I posted pictures of my Boxer Nico in the Thread we had for Pets recently. My daughter is allergic to dogs and amazingly, she is not allergic to Nico. We have had poodles, Miniature Schnauzers, Yorkies, Yorkie-Poo, and she was allergic to all of them except for Nico and she's 11. But we kept trying because we love animals and she has begged for another Dog for years. I was very hesitant as well, but gave it a try. We lucked out and got a "DRY MOUTH" boxer. My Boxer does not drool and is AKC registered, full blood Boxer. Not All Boxers have the extremely wet, drooling mouths. My Boxer is an indoor dog, with access to the backyard thru a doggie door, but we keep him extremely clean with professional grooming twice a month to help with his coat shedding to help with any allergie concerns that may arise. So far, we haven't had any, and Nico turned 2 in May.

A wonderful website is Boxerworld.com. Take a look before discounting them totally, but do research on all dogs before making a final decision. Hope this helps.

I know this is going a little far, but I have a girlfriend who takes regular allergy shots in order to tolerate her husband's dog! I don't know if that would be an option, but I thought I'd just throw it out! lol

Maybe you could try "fostering" a dog from your local shelter to see whether you are allergic to that particular dog or not? The shelter where I volunteer has a foster program that works just like fostering kids -- people give the dogs a home until they can find a permanent adopter. We also use it for people with allergies so they can test their reaction to a dog (or cat!) that they want. It gives the dog a vacation from the shelter and lets them live with the family for a week or so to make sure that it will work out.

One thing you definitely should avoid is just buying a dog from a shelter or breeder who doesn't take returns, finding that you are allergic, then keeping the dog outside. Dogs HATE to be tied out all the time -- that's actually very cruel, both physically and emotionally, for the dog. Lonely, cold, scared, etc.

As for boxers -- my friend has one and he's really adorable and sweet but also absolutely insane! SOOOO energetic and hyper. I can't control him on a leash. So be sure that your family is prepared for a lot of energy if you get a boxer.

MandM said:
One thing you definitely should avoid is just buying a dog from a shelter or breeder who doesn't take returns, finding that you are allergic, then keeping the dog outside. Dogs HATE to be tied out all the time -- that's actually very cruel, both physically and emotionally, for the dog. Lonely, cold, scared, etc.

:yes: :yes:
It's definitely a bad idea to leave a dog tied up outside. Not only for the reasons MandM mentioned but also because dog fighting rings look for dogs left outside. They steal dogs & use them to bait the fighting dogs.

Holliwood said:
If you are really interested in getting any dog and someone is allergic, really do your research. But just to give more background on the Boxer. I posted pictures of my Boxer Nico in the Thread we had for Pets recently. My daughter is allergic to dogs and amazingly, she is not allergic to Nico. We have had poodles, Miniature Schnauzers, Yorkies, Yorkie-Poo, and she was allergic to all of them except for Nico and she's 11. But we kept trying because we love animals and she has begged for another Dog for years. I was very hesitant as well, but gave it a try. We lucked out and got a "DRY MOUTH" boxer. My Boxer does not drool and is AKC registered, full blood Boxer. Not All Boxers have the extremely wet, drooling mouths. My Boxer is an indoor dog, with access to the backyard thru a doggie door, but we keep him extremely clean with professional grooming twice a month to help with his coat shedding to help with any allergie concerns that may arise. So far, we haven't had any, and Nico turned 2 in May.

A wonderful website is Boxerworld.com. Take a look before discounting them totally, but do research on all dogs before making a final decision. Hope this helps.

Thank you *so* much for posting this. I've fallen in love with Boxers and Boxer mixes over the last few years, starting when my cousins rescued a boxer mix (the sweetest dog in the world, I swear. And I've owned 2 very wonderful dogs). There are also a few Boxers in my neighborhood and I just adore seeing them on my way to the train in the morning, they're so sweet and friendly! My BF and I have decided to take the plunge and buy a condo, which means I can *finally* get a dog. BF is pretty picky about critters, though, and nixed Boxers on the drool factor alone. I'm going to pass the "dry mouth" tip on to him, and see what he thinks. Thanks!:yahoo:

We had a Boxer when I was growing up and now 2 of my sisters have Boxers. They are wonderful and gentle with children, yet are scary-looking enough to keep strangers away! Ours was not very drooly. She was also an inside dog that only went out to do her business. I highly recommend Boxers as family pets, but they do shed as much as the average dog.

find a dog with smooth hair, not loose hair like golden retriever, lassie etc...
i have a smooth fox terrier and it's less hassle to bath him.
how about a boston terrier? or a pug?
but i think u have to adjust the behaviour of people in ur house with the kind of dog u'll be having. if u are active and your kid love to take the dog out for a walk or play, find an active dog.

If anyone has watched A & E Channel's Top 10 Family Dog's, The Boxer was number 7. They are WONDERFUL family dogs. They are excellent with children. Very gentle and loving dogs, especially with the children in the household. For anydog that gets to be 70 lbs, they will need training on a leash to control pulling and, of course, plenty of socializing to get them used to being around other people to keep them from being aggressive. But as far as allergy concerns go, sometimes, it depends on the severity of the allergies as well. I also invested in a very good steam cleaner and operate that a couple times a month to lessen the allergens around the house from our Boxer as well as his Groomings. And when I say 2 professional groomings a month, I'm talking about 2 $30 Oatmeal baths at Petco or Petsmart. Nothing extravagant. Just enought to keep down the shedding and control the allergens in the house. Just tips to help anyone with any dog allergy issues since my daughter has the potential to break out again.

Excellent! The two that I know are wonderuful with kids, extemely intelligent and loving. Females. They are quite rambunctious, but intelligence makes them very trainable. That face! Aesthetically, they are beautiful animals. The "girls" each weigh 80 pounds and there's nothing like 80 pounds of dog jumping on your chest. They are extremely loyal to their familes. Down side, they tend to have hip problems as they get older. They're kind of slobbery (just made up a word, I know). Get dog proof furniture, because they can be hard on it. They really like people and it is a good idea if you could have two (to keep them company).