Box leather for everyday

I have one box bag - a rigide Kelly. It's stiff and a pain to get in and out of so I seldom wear it. It's a shame, really, because it's so beautiful, in an archtectural way. It also got a mark on it when I was leaving a restaurant and a drop of water from an awning ran down the side. So it's delicate, too. It's a light color and I think this may make a difference. I've seen old Kellys in black and rouge that were well worn and looked wonderful.

I have one box bag - a rigide Kelly. It's stiff and a pain to get in and out of so I seldom wear it. It's a shame, really, because it's so beautiful, in an archtectural way. It also got a mark on it when I was leaving a restaurant and a drop of water from an awning ran down the side. So it's delicate, too. It's a light color and I think this may make a difference. I've seen old Kellys in black and rouge that were well worn and looked wonderful.
Like I always say, black box RULES!!!!:tup:

My box kelly
has had cappuchino over it, sticky fingers
rain

and its still ok and I love it
I find the biggest problem remembering to not get the corners scuffed

Take the birkin out!
I always take her raincoat when I go out
enjoy the bag use it

I wore a Black Box Retourne Kelly nonstop for a few years, and always protected it in foul weather. Although I had the little raincoat with me at all times, I'd usually stick the Kelly under my coat to keep it out of harm's way. Use your bag, enjoy it and carry the little raincoat or a plastic bag to guard your treasure from rain, sleet, snow, etc. The more you use it, the more beautiful it will become. Gotta love that about Box Calf!

I have boxcalf Kellys, Birkins, Trims, Dalvys, and a Plume Elan. Most of my collection is dark box (raisin, navy, black, brown, with red box and pale grey box as the exception). I live in a rainy climate. Box is a little sensitive when brand new, true, but I love it because once it ages a bit and develops its patina, it is QUITE tough. Light rain wipes right off. It doesn't mark so easily when bumped or scratched. AND it refurbishes to like brand new.

To me, it is the quintessential Hermes leather for their bags.

But it does need to be babied a bit for the first few years or so, depending on how often you use it. It is sad to see her get her first scratches. It's like raising a child - it's the awkward adolescent phase, where you are just so worried about the kid all the time, trying to protect her in this awkward phase. Then they grow up (finally) - they're swans! And tough as nails. :P

I have boxcalf Kellys, Birkins, Trims, Dalvys, and a Plume Elan. Most of my collection is dark box (raisin, navy, black, brown, with red box and pale grey box as the exception). I live in a rainy climate. Box is a little sensitive when brand new, true, but I love it because once it ages a bit and develops its patina, it is QUITE tough. Light rain wipes right off. It doesn't mark so easily when bumped or scratched. AND it refurbishes to like brand new.

To me, it is the quintessential Hermes leather for their bags.

But it does need to be babied a bit for the first few years or so, depending on how often you use it. It is sad to see her get her first scratches. It's like raising a child - it's the awkward adolescent phase, where you are just so worried about the kid all the time, trying to protect him in this awkward phase. Then they grow up (finally) - they're swans! And tough as nails. :P

Thanks for that one. Do you leave them at home in the rain? Mine is Rouge H, gorgoues bag, I sometimes put it on the dresser just to admire it as I go to sleep.

Mmmmm, rouge h....one on my wish list, birkincurious! Yes, I leave them out to admire them for a bit, for sure! I pack them away when I change bags, but leave them out until I switch....fun!

I bring the older patina-ed box bags out in the sprinkly rain. If it's a downpour, no. But if it becomes a downpour when I'm out, I do like MillStream and hide her under my coat. Or I fold way up a large heavy plain plastic bag then rubber band it and toss it in the bottom. I also have lots of back up brand new plastic bags in the car for emergencies. Yes, it rains here, but it doesn't rain forever. :yes:

I have a box kelly, I love love love box leather, I got caught in the rain - had to get to it ASAP and wipe down, I travel with those big napkin to fend of the water/rain and accidents, I have to use that plastic raincoat :rolleyes: a couple of times (with a twilly on the handles to make sure the Kelly is well-covered). I had (rojak) gravy poured on it, being a natural klutz, this is not surprising. :Push:
It is true I tend to baby it, I don't bring it out when it is raining, but when I get caught in the down pour, I make sure I wipe the leather immediately. It's just not for the faint hearted.

For Clemence, if it is raining, I walk in the rain with the bag, it is something I would NEVER do with a box kelly. Clemence is fuss-free, if you are like me (who refuse to carry umbrellas and they are always in the boot/truck of the car) then Box is ALOT more fussy than clemence.

Personally, I feel box leather is studier than Clemence, in terms of wear. Like a very wise lady told me, leather is very personal thingy, what I like may not be suitable for another and vice versa.

And yes, I use my box kelly for weeks everyday (incl weekend) without changing her out and then I rotate her to something else to let her rest. Right now, it's the raining season here, she is resting and the clemence comes out to play.

And if you asked me if I would get another box calf, I would in a heart-beat (Rouge H box anytime, baby!:heart:), like I said, leathers are really personal preference, for me, I like it more than clemence :heart:

After having bought my first H bag (a Box Kelly) almost 30 years ago:wtf:, I have owned many H bags in different leathers, and I have come to the conclusion that my super favourite is Box! In fact, if I could, I would only own Box Calf bags in different colors and styles, with maybe one or two Clemence for rainy days! I'm waiting for 2 PO in Box right now:yahoo:So I say, USE IT!!!!!