Bowling For Rhinos

bagnshoofetish

Oh. Gee.
O.G.
Feb 12, 2006
our local chapter of American Association of Zoo Keepers (aazk.org) is holding our annual Bowling for Rhinos fundraiser later this month. It is one of the most worthy causes as all proceeds benefit the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy in East Africa who protect Black and White Rhinos as well as other species and their habitat. Our fundraising efforts also support the remaining Javan Rhinos at Ujung Kulon National Park and the Samatran Rhinos in Bukit Barisan Selatan and Way Kambas National Parks.

To find out more click on this link (and especially check out the BFR Slideshow on the left hand menu - it explains it all):

www.aazkbfr.org/

If you would like to sponsor our team, please PM me. All donations are tax deductible (I would send you the paperwork for this.)

Thanks for reading and thanks for all your support!

andalas1.jpg

I just have to say that is the cutest little rhino I've ever seen

Isn't he? His name is Andalas and he was born in 2001 in Cincinnati and was brought to our zoo when he was about 4 - 6 months old. We raised him for a couple of years and then he was sent back to the Sumatran Rhino Sanctuary in Way Kambas National Park, Indonesia.
(for some reason, the bold key will not "unbold" from here on. I am having all sorts of problems with this damn computer today!)

All Sumatran Rhinos belong to the Indonesian government. We have 4 in this country for the breeding program. For some reason, the Indonesian sanctuary has not had any success in breeding these animals and for some reason, we are able to in the US. Go figure. So now, Andalas being an adult male was sent back to hopefully breed the females they have in their reserve. There are only around 400 or less of Sumatran Rhinos left in the world. For more info and photos of Andalas, click on this link:

http://www.rhinos-irf.org/adoptarhino/

scroll down and read about Andalas (they failed to include how he was raised at our LA Zoo though! :confused1:) but the important thing is where he is now. Check out the video of him too on the same page at the bottom...its so wonderful to see him in this reserve but I do miss his kisses!

woah thanks for the all that info!!

He sort of looks like an anteater that got a nose job or something, I'm a little bit obsessed now.