Boutique's sample bag

djf881

Apr 19, 2008
I have been shopping for the perfect "man bag" for a couple of weeks since the weather in New York started getting warmer, because I'd grown accustomed to carrying stuff around in my overcoat, and I couldn't stuff it all into pants or suit pockets.

I decided on one of these new Dunhill Poacher bags:

http://store.dunhill.com/USA/ENG/Pa...R&group2=TRAVEL&group3=*EMPTY&product=FB6030B

I went to the Dunhill store in New York yesterday and bought it. They only had one in stock, and it was the one on the shelf.

I got it home, and noticed that it didn't have the lacquered brass "button" on the front clasp. So I called this morning, and Dunhill told me that it was a very new line and I had bought their sample, which was slightly different from the ordinary retail model. The guy at the store said the sample bag is larger than the retail model, and he described it as a "one of a kind" bag.

He said they could get one of the buttons and have it attached to the bag, or I could exchange the bag for one of the retail models. I paid the full retail price for the sample.

Do I have something special that I should hang onto in its original condition, or do I have something odd or inferior? Is there any special paperwork that the store is likely to have regarding what this is, that I should have them dig up and give to me, since there are no brand marks anywhere on the bag?

Geminiz06

Feb 13, 2008
New York
I would say have the store fix the button, to your liking. And if you like the size of the bag. Then I would say keep it.

pinkshoulders

Dec 14, 2007
Alexandria, VA
Some people love the idea of having a OOAK sample. Some people want the production model. If I were you I would keep the sample and take them up on the button offer. That way, if someone asks, you can tell them it really is the only one like it!

djf881

Apr 19, 2008
Thanks. I know with watches, there's a taboo against any kind of altering of the original appearance, such as getting a dial that's only factory available on a gold Rolex put on a steel model.

Is there any similar taboo with bags, generally?

Also, is there any paperwork associated with being a prototype that I should ask about, in case at some point down the line I need to verify the authenticity of the bag?

HuskyLover

O.G.
Apr 8, 2007
I highly doubt there is any kind of paperwork they would give you for the bag, other than the tags that came with it. I wouldn't be concerned with that myself. Now, as far as the button, you mentioned that it didn't have the lacquered brass, so what does it have? Does it look good? I would probably leave it be, as long as it looked good! That's a fabulous bag, and since it's a one-of-a-kind sample, I wouldn't change it. Personally, I like sample bags, I've had a couple of them, nobody else has/had that bag but me! If you're concerned about resale down the road, and proving that it's authentic, have the boutique write you a letter (on letterhead) stating the bag is a production sample, and keep all of the tags and anything else that came with it. If it's as nice IRL as it looks in the photo, I would just use it to death!!