Boutique to the outlet... in a flash

AlexisBrite

Jan 15, 2010
Im feeling a little agitated right now. I have always been one of those girls who shops both boutique and outlet. I love having the new stuff but I also love getting a deal. I just was at the potomac mills outlet and pretty much every single poppy item I purchased in May was there!:wtf:

How do you ladies deal with seeing recent purchases in the outlets so soon?!?

Well, I never get to go to the outlets. But I do have a similar story.

I bought a pegasus off of Bonz for (EEEK!) 79 bucks. Couldn't haggle the price or anything with the seller.
A week later, one showed up on ebay for 45.

I almost cried.
I do get a little upset when I hear on TPF that someone got a bag like mine for cheaper. But, you gotta think of it like this: If you waited until it hit the outlet, it might not be at the one near you. So you would never be able to get it.
Buying off of ebay for cheaper? Be careful, there is fakes.
Buying FP? Yeah, it's tough...but man, just think. They may have got that bag cheaper, but I have had mine and loved mine and showed mine off a lot sooner than they did.
AND, the price you paid was what you were willing to pay to get it. You were fine with the price when you bought it, so don't feel bad when it gets cheaper.

These are the things I tell myself when this crap happens, and it makes me feel better.

Don't sweat it! :hugs:
-PCL

If you have to have it when its full price get it. If you can wait and chance it being sold out, wait til' you see it at the outlets. I understand wanting a deal, but sometimes you have to think about the alternative. I have been on the end of always waiting and it gets sold out...then I get super bummed. :sad:

It may help to think of it this way also...

Would you be upset if you bought a nice dress, loved it and wore it a couple of times, then happened to see the same dress, (but maybe in a different color this time, or maybe it's a little shop worn now) two months later on the sales rack at another store? Maybe Nordstrom Rack, or Marshalls, or someplace similar?

Probably not, because you've already worn the dress, and been very happy with it. You probably don't think twice about it, because so what if there's one or two left for the sales rack?

The outlets are Coach's sales rack when you really stop and think about it. It happens all the time in department stores, with clothing & shoes. Things go on sale, it's just going to happen.

I agree with OP and that is why Iam starting to steer away from Coach sad to say but I feel like I see it coming and going. The few pieces that I have never made it to the outlet but I have this fear that most bags end up at the outlet in such a short time.

I have made these exact sentiments on this forum. But I have realized that just because it goes to the outlet, doesn't mean I will find it there. I bought a few FP bags and they started to head to the outlet. I was not happy. But I never saw them there. Not once. I live about 10 minutes from an outlet, so I am there a decent amount. It would have really bummed me out to not get the bags, so I am glad I got them.

I have made these exact sentiments on this forum. But I have realized that just because it goes to the outlet, doesn't mean I will find it there. I bought a few FP bags and they started to head to the outlet. I was not happy. But I never saw them there. Not once. I live about 10 minutes from an outlet, so I am there a decent amount. It would have really bummed me out to not get the bags, so I am glad I got them.

I agree not every outlet will receive the same things. I have 3 outlets in a 50 mile radius. Most of the times I will find a gem at one that was not at the others.

All of the Poppy items that were available in May, had been out for some time, so you really cant be mad that they went to the outlet. Talk of the new Poppy collection had been circulating on here and SA's in the boutiques had been talking about it before May.

I've only made a few boutique purchases and none of them were at full-price; I'm too much of a "bargain hunter"! The only items I consider buying from the boutique with PCE are popular items that probably won't make it to the outlet. For instance, I bought a black, leather Kristin Shoulder Flap with PCE. A few months later some Kristin Shoulder Flaps showed up at my outlet in other colors but I never saw a black one, so I feel that it was worth the extra cost.

I was very attracted to some of the Pierre Le Tan Beach items and I knew that it isn't very likely they will make it to the outlet - but I didn't love them enough to pay those prices, so even with PCE I passed.

You said that you purchased some Poppy items at FP but we've seen many Poppys flood the outlets fairly quickly; so unless it's something that you really "must have" or it's really popular and selling out fast - I would wait and take my chances on the outlet with the understanding that I may never find it.

Also, keep in mind that ardent outlet-shoppers work hard for their bargains (but I feel that "the hunt" is the fun part!) You usually have to visit the outlet often and keep up inventory changes to score a good deal. Occassionally you come across a returned "treasure" in clearance but those deals are rare and you cannot count on finding a bag you really want in clearance.

If you don't need to use a bag right away, you could try buying it at FP and holding it for a few months to see if it goes to the outlet. In that case you could buy it at the outlet and return the original purchase for a full-price refund. But again that takes extra time and work and you will miss out carrying your bag as soon as you might like. It's all a "trade-off"!

I try not to have a "wish list" or an "HG" and I just wait and see what shows up at the outlet and then see if I fall in love with it. Even at the discounted outlet prices I've passed on lots of gorgeous FP delete bags that were 30% off plus the 20% coupon because I didn't love them enough.

When a PCE is offered I check out the current FP bags and see if there is anything that I'd really like to have that is unlikely to show up at the outlets and then I may decide to buy it. If I don't need (urgently desire) to wear it right away I may hold onto it for awhile; to see if I still love it later or if shows up at the outlet soon. If I buy a 30% off bag at the outlet I sometimes hold it for awhile to see if it goes to 50% off redlined clearance soon!

There are pros and cons for all of the options and you just need to figure out what system works best for you and then apply it; we've all made some mis-steps along the way, good luck!

Last edited:
Hi AlexisBrite, I agree I'd feel real sad to see something I've paid FP for a short while ago go on sale - but like what katierose said, it's bound to happen so don't feel bad! YOU HAVE HAD IT FIRST! :happydance:

I live in Singapore & I won't ever pay FP which is US FP converted to SGD x 150%! Yep 50% premium! So the past couple of months I know people who are going to different parts of USA and would be visiting COACH outlets; I gave them a list of like 10 bags/colours/materials in total (based on what I see the blogshops are selling meaning they'd have hit the outlets by then) hoping they'd at least score ONE bag for me. Guess what? No such luck...:sad:

Buying an FP delete bag from the outlets you are visiting is really like striking lottery - this is what makes finding a great deal so thrilling! :yahoo::woohoo:

...Also, keep in mind that ardent outlet-shoppers work hard for their bargains (but I feel that "the hunt" is the fun part!) You usually have to visit the outlet often and keep up inventory changes to score a good deal...

I try not to have a "wish list" or an "HG" and I just wait and see what shows up at the outlet and then see if I fall in love with it. Even at the discounted outlet prices I've passed on lots of gorgeous FP delete bags that were 30% off plus the 20% coupon because I didn't love them enough.

Katev - These are the best tips for outlet shopping!

When I was at the outlet this week the Poppy was only 30% off (plus coupon) vs. 25% for PCE in boutique, so I wouldn't think the difference would be worth taking a chance on missing the item if I really wanted it.

Out outlet is the worst here that being said I do love my Coach and only get peices that I have to get them to order and I know the outlet will never have them I live 1hr away if I lived closer I would be in big trouble. I like other designers you can get so that I have a variety

Have the fun for me is to see if I can get what I want at the outlet. I have had very good luck getting some primo FP bags for a great price. Most of my collection was accumulated that way.