Bought from an international seller. Am I being scammed, or just being impatient?

Feb 2, 2009
Okay, so I am FREAKING OUT here.

I bought a purchase from an international seller on December 9. It is now December 18, and I still have not had any package, or a valid response from the seller.

I kept e-mailing the seller asking about shipping. First time, nothing. Second time, I get, "yes i have sent the package." Then I am relieved! "Great! What's the tracking number," I ask. Nothing. Then I send another message asking for an update/tracking number. Then the seller tells me that I'll get the tracking number through paypal. Okay... I check paypal. I see the status as "shipped" on all of my other purchases, but not on this one. Now I am freaking out. Could it be that the seller just didn't purchase tracking? COuld there be a customs/USPS delay? I understand it is so close to the holiday... This is why I try not to buy anything internationally-- and the lack of communication isn't easing my mind on bit. I mean, how hard is it to say, "yes, here is the tracking number:" NOT VERY. Am I being overly suspicious or freaking out too early? I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, like, well maybe he didn't ship it out ON the 9th. And I can't count Sundays as an official shipping day...

UGH. What do you think about this?

Last edited:
It maybe customs? I purchased an lv from a Japan seller and it got stuck in customs for almost 2 weeks when it took like 2 days to get here. But they did provide me with a tracking number. If it hits a month I would file a INR unless they give you a tracking number to see if it really stuck in customs.
Good luck

If it is stuck in customs, I at least want to know! I hate being out of the loop. :/

It just makes me very suspicious that the seller keeps avoiding the question about a tracking number. But maybe they just didn't buy that option. I don't know. But if that's the case, I want to know! I hate being a stupid buyer, I am just concerned. :/

Okay, so I am FREAKING OUT here.

I bought a purchase from an international seller on December 9. It is now December 18, and I still have not had any package, or a valid response from the seller.

I kept e-mailing the seller asking about shipping. First time, nothing. Second time, I get, "yes i have sent the package." Then I am relieved! "Great! What's the tracking number," I ask. Nothing. Then I send another message asking for an update/tracking number. Then the seller tells me that I'll get the tracking number through paypal. Okay... I check paypal. I see the status as "shipped" on all of my other purchases, but not on this one. Now I am freaking out. Could it be that the seller just didn't purchase tracking? COuld there be a customs/USPS delay? I understand it is so close to the holiday... This is why I try not to buy anything internationally-- and the lack of communication isn't easing my mind on bit. I mean, how hard is it to say, "yes, here is the tracking number:" NOT VERY. Am I being overly suspicious or freaking out too early? I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, like, well maybe he didn't ship it out ON the 9th. And I can't count Sundays as an official shipping day...

UGH. What do you think about this?

There are 2 places to look for an item as shipped. Both are totally separate and independent of eachother.

1 PayPal > Overview>transactions>see details.
2 eBay - Home>my eBay>Buy>won/purchased

Sometimes the seller can mark it as shipped and the system does not generate an email. Either of these should automatically send an update type email to the buyer. When a seller enters these details, a message does pop up saying the buyer will be informed.

However, sometimes this does not work perfectly and the message goes to the buyer's spam mail box.

This has happened to me as a seller a couple of times - one small system fail and people don't get the details I carefully entered into the system. It's frustrating because you have to enter the details then also send an email to make sure it happens. It should ideally work as one simple process...

So before you panic completely, check both of these places.

Hope it works out OK.

I have read on eBay that shipping is indeed very slow nowadays, however the seller could at least give you tracking info... I am assuming you bought through eBay, then you always have buyer protection so I would not worry too much yet! Good luck!!

Even with tracking, it seems things are very slow these days.
However, her lack of timely responses are a bit alarming to me.
Where is the item coming from and where are you located?

How was the item sent - International Express Mail, their country's version of First Class, or snail mail?

It has been 9 days. Taking into account the holiday rush, I would start worrying in the 21-30+ day time frame.

Glitches in the eBay shipping system happen from time to time: it did not automatically load the tracking number for one of my sales. Thus, I promptly notified the buyer of the tracking number via eBay official message. All ended fine.

I would give it at least 20 days, minimum before even considering filing with Pay Pal. You have 45 days - just don't let that deadline expire.

I find it troubling that the seller is not as responsive as well, however it could just be a language barrier?

I wouldn't worry about this. It's only been nine days since you purchased the item; that doesn't mean that's when the seller shipped it; so not enough time has passed to start being concerned. Standard international shipping takes anywhere from 2-6 weeks, and that's without taking into consideration all of the recent issues with weather + terrorist threats.

The seller may not be responding because it sounds like you've already sent her quite a few e-mails, or she may not have a tracking # if it's an inexpensive item.

Same thing happened to me when I purchased some beauty items from China. I almost forgot those purchase since it took 25 days to arrive but when I got it I was so happy. Just be patient about it. I suspect, the seller might have a language barrier that's why they are very limited in their reply though, I just based this in my personal experience.

I hadn't thought about the language barrier, or the fact that the seller probably didn't ship the day I paid. I know the seller shipped it before Sunday though, because that's the day I heard from him saying that he has shipped my item. I will just have to wait it out, and stop being so paraoid. haha will keep you posted.

I just got confused like, if I am supposed to be alerted through Paypal of my shipment/tracking number, the seller obviously had to update it. In that case, the seller must have it, so how hard is it to just shoot me an e-mail? But, he could be a new seller. It's all good, as long as I get my item!

There are 2 places to look for an item as shipped. Both are totally separate and independent of eachother.

1 PayPal > Overview>transactions>see details.
2 eBay - Home>my eBay>Buy>won/purchased

Sometimes the seller can mark it as shipped and the system does not generate an email. Either of these should automatically send an update type email to the buyer. When a seller enters these details, a message does pop up saying the buyer will be informed.

However, sometimes this does not work perfectly and the message goes to the buyer's spam mail box.

This has happened to me as a seller a couple of times - one small system fail and people don't get the details I carefully entered into the system. It's frustrating because you have to enter the details then also send an email to make sure it happens. It should ideally work as one simple process...

So before you panic completely, check both of these places.

Hope it works out OK.

Same thing happened to me when I purchased some beauty items from China. I almost forgot those purchase since it took 25 days to arrive but when I got it I was so happy. Just be patient about it. I suspect, the seller might have a language barrier that's why they are very limited in their reply though, I just based this in my personal experience.
:goodpost:

I hadn't thought about the language barrier, or the fact that the seller probably didn't ship the day I paid. I know the seller shipped it before Sunday though, because that's the day I heard from him saying that he has shipped my item. I will just have to wait it out, and stop being so paraoid. haha will keep you posted.

I just got confused like, if I am supposed to be alerted through Paypal of my shipment/tracking number, the seller obviously had to update it. In that case, the seller must have it, so how hard is it to just shoot me an e-mail? But, he could be a new seller. It's all good, as long as I get my item!

Did you see what I posted above? Does anything show up in either PayPal or eBay on your dashboard. You don't mention this... Mind you, it is pretty rare to find a seller who does actually update everything.

I totally agree on the language barrier issue. Writing them more emails is probably not going to get a result. If the seller does not have lots of negatives for items not received, then you can probably relax as suggested by other posters.