bought fake bag--communicate with seller or open paypal dispute/claim?

kerosundae

want snow in Paris
O.G.
Sep 20, 2006
What is my luck with Dior Gauchos and ebay?! First I bought one for my sister that never arrived--still waiting, seller is super nice and I don't doubt that she sent it so I won't open claim yet, and just deal with usps insurance.

Then--I bought one for myself from ebay UK, it was totally fake--what was I thinking??!

This is the first time I've ever bought a fake and paid for it and not know that it was fake until it arrived. I filmed myself opening it (so glad I got into that habit, although it had never served me before!) I know my options for getting my money back, but I would like to know what you think is the best way.

1. talk to seller--do I tell them it's fake? will that cause them to drain their paypal account and make my claim harder if I need to make a claim? Shipping the bag to and from me will have cost $40, is there anyway to get them to refund this?

2. file ebay claim-- seller account was in ebay UK, buyer account in ebay France, will this pose any problems?

3. file paypal claim-- I don't know which one is better, but at least there isn't the country issue here.

4. credit card chargeback-- should I just go directly to this?

First- you need to open an Item Not REceived claim for the bag you purchased for your sister - do it NOW! There is a time frame involved and your 'nice' seller could be stalling you until that time has passed. Also, I do believe that the seller hasto open the claim with usps as they were the one that purchased the insurance.

Yes, def open an INR for the first item, for the second, I would contact the seller and inform them that you think it's fake and you would like to return it, if you get nowhere with them, open a dispute with Ebay, I believe they will point you to Paypal if needs be.
You will have to pay the return shipping though.

File your INR and then let your seller know the other bag is a SNAD.. give her an opportunity to communicate with you a day or so should do it and then just file..you probably will need to authenticate the bag if the seller gives you the runaround...

yes, please authenticate the bag before you open a case with ebay because the time frame to prove that it's fake is very short. the ladies here usually use caroldiva to authenticate their bags.

For the first set of Dior Gauchos for your sister file a INR ASAP. That way, even if the seller has sent the item, you are still protected and cancel in the future.

For the fake one purchased, contact the seller and simply ask for a refund because the item is SNAD. If they don't respond to you within a day or two open a claim with eBay or Pay Pal, but not both. If you do, they cancel each other out. Good luck. Dealing with a SNAD is never fun.

Thank you all! so here's what I'll do: send a nice email to the seller asking to return; if they won't let me, then I open SNAD?

what if seller says "yes, I'll refund you", and then don't? Will I be able to file a SNAD if bag is no longer in my possession? even if the return happened BEFORE I opened the SNAD case? What if paypal asks for more proof that it's fake? and I no longer have the bag because it's already sent back to the seller?
Also, I was reading in a few threads where ebay required you to destroy a fake rather than returning it, what if they say that? and I no longer have the bag because I already returned it to the seller?

just message the seller and say the bag is a fake and you'd like to return for a refund. if they say, ok please send it back, you can send it back with signature confirmation and insurance. if they don't refund you upon receiving it back, you can contact paypal with your tracking, and also you will have proof of the ebay emails showing them agreeing to the refund. you could also do a SNAD and have them formally go through that to return.

as for the other sale, why are you going to go through USPS and not ebay/paypal? because the seller seems nice?
who cares if they are nice? you bought an item and you didn't get it. file the claim and get your money back from the seller. if it is truely lost, the seller will get their money back from insurance. but it is for the seller to refund you, not USPS.

File your INR and then let your seller know the other bag is a SNAD.. give her an opportunity to communicate with you a day or so should do it and then just file..you probably will need to authenticate the bag if the seller gives you the runaround...
Agree with hotshot (again) here
#1 bag: "Dealing with USPS insurance" is a cop-out. That means the seller keeps the bag and your money, and USPS takes the fall. Seller has to prove to Ebay that they sent the bag with delivery confirmation, then THEY deal with getting insurance money from USPS , not you.
#2 bag - file SNAD and get your money back if the seller won't immediately refund you. Be sure and send back insured and with Delivery signature conformation so you can prove you sent it. As said, you may have to get a letter from CarolDiva saying it's a fake.
I would definitely call PP and talk to them.

just message the seller and say the bag is a fake and you'd like to return for a refund. if they say, ok please send it back, you can send it back with signature confirmation and insurance. if they don't refund you upon receiving it back, you can contact paypal with your tracking, and also you will have proof of the ebay emails showing them agreeing to the refund. you could also do a SNAD and have them formally go through that to return.

as for the other sale, why are you going to go through USPS and not ebay/paypal? because the seller seems nice?
who cares if they are nice? you bought an item and you didn't get it. file the claim and get your money back from the seller. if it is truely lost, the seller will get their money back from insurance. but it is for the seller to refund you, not USPS.

You have already sent the bag back? Ooooohhh, that's not good. Did you use delivery confirmation and get insurance on the bag? Never, ever send the bag back before PayPal tells you to or before you have recieved a refund from the seller. Now they have the bag and the money.

If you need to contact a professional authenticator you no longer have the bag in your possession, so you might have issues with that. Contact the seller ASAP and tell them that you have returned the bag and would like a refund because you believe the bag is SNAD. If they do not agree to a return within a day, I would escalate claim with Paypal.

You have already sent the bag back? Ooooohhh, that's not good. Did you use delivery confirmation and get insurance on the bag? Never, ever send the bag back before PayPal tells you to or before you have recieved a refund from the seller. Now they have the bag and the money.

If you need to contact a professional authenticator you no longer have the bag in your possession, so you might have issues with that. Contact the seller ASAP and tell them that you have returned the bag and would like a refund because you believe the bag is SNAD. If they do not agree to a return within a day, I would escalate claim with Paypal.

No no! I haven't sent it back yet, your paragraph one was exactly what I was worried about, that they would agree to the refund, then what if they don't refund as agreed, then I will have to open SNAD, by then, if paypal asks for letter of authenticity, I won't have the bag in my possession to do so anymore.

ok, I guess I can ask "what ifs" until my butt turns blue, but eventually I'll just have to try it. I'm writing the seller to ask for return, then filing a paypal dispute and go from there.

As for the INR, I'm filing it now. I was just waiting until a few days before the deadline to file IN CASE the bag does show up, but you girls are right, I can always cancel if it gets here.

I would file with Ebay on the fake purse. Ebay, in their rules, no longer requires that the buyer prove that the purse is fake.

And if the seller cannot prove it's authentic, then Ebay may pay for the return of the purse.

You need to read the new rules on Ebay - they're not supposed to make the buyer provide proof any more if the bag is fake.

Also when you do send it back, online tracking (delivery confirmation with signature) is a must.

Definitely file the item not received for the first bag.

And file a SNAD for the fake! I'm going through the same thing with a fake bag. I got a second chance offer on a bag that turned out to be a really good "replica' LV! I had it authenticated here on tpf and with Caroldiva just to have proof that it truly was a fake. In the meantime, the seller had a 3 day return policy where she claimed the bag had to received by HER three days after it was received by me!!! What kind of return policy is that? Even priority mail doesn't guarantee three day delivery!!

Anyway, I didn't tell the seller that the bag was fake right away because she was really nasty in her emails and I figured she'd give me a hard time. She also said she would refuse delivery of the bag so I filed a SNAD with paypal and escalated it to a claim right away telling them it was fake and in the meantime, I had already returned the bag priority with insurance and delivery confirmation. She did get the bag back but then didn't call paypal to have them release the funds. She's also been ignoring emails from paypal.
Today hopefully I'll get my money back!