Bought an item on ebay, delivered to me, but paypal says payment is unclaimed?

Apr 30, 2011
I bought a pair of shoes a few days ago and paid for it right away. The seller shipped the item fast and I received the shoes this afternoon. Tonight I get an email from Paypal saying that my payment that I sent is unclaimed. What do I do? Is this something that I should worry about??

I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago. I bought an item on Ebay from a new seller and paid through paypal. She shipped me the item and a few days later I got an email from paypal telling me the payment was unclaimed. I asked the seller about it and she said they were holding it until I got the item and left feedback. It still shows as unclaimed but she must have gotten it. Weird.

Once this happened to me. Apparently the seller had the email account misspelled in the Paypay account (I do not know how Paypal does not verify the account to received money). Anyway... when I checked into the email account I sent the payment via Paypal was yahooF.fr when of course, the correct one must have been yahoo.fr (there was one F more written). So I contacted the seller, I took the payment unclaimed and then sent it again when the seller corrected the email on his Paypay account. HTH!

I checked the email and the email has no errors. I don't know what to do. I would never ship an item if the payment was not in my account. Makes me kinda wonder about the seller...

I also received an email message yesterday from Paypal stating a similar "unclaimed payment" message (which I had never received before). I contacted the seller and she had already shipped the item (though I have not yet received it). Makes me wonder if there's some error (or other problems) going on with Paypal. I thought possibly spam/fraudulent email...

It's not spam, because when I go to my purchased items in My Ebay it shows that particular item under payment as "Paypal payment pending" with a little hourglass icon. I think there must be some kind of glitch going on with paypal.

Even if everything on your side of the transaction appears correct, the seller may have done something on their side that caused the payment to go unclaimed.

I recently had one where the ebay and paypal messages to me were showing that I had paid seller at yahoo.com. The seller emailed me a week later, and asked when I was going to pay her. I called ebay to find out what was going on, and the phone rep mentioned that the seller's email was seller at gmail.com.

It turns out that the seller changed the email address for ebay, but didn't update her paypal email. After I convinced her to add the old yahoo email back to paypal, she got her money.

The only other thing I can think of would be if they had not upgraded their paypal to auto accept CC payments, and need to manually collect the payment and pay the fee.

I had this happen to me on Etsy-the seller failed to open a paypal account correctly. I cancelled the order because I wasn't sure what to think. Basically, I believe it's the seller's issue. She contacted me after I cancelled my order and explained that she had issues opening her account. I decided to go with another vendor.

In your case you received the goods so I believe it's up to the seller to fix his/her account.

It's not spam, because when I go to my purchased items in My Ebay it shows that particular item under payment as "Paypal payment pending" with a little hourglass icon. I think there must be some kind of glitch going on with paypal.

The hourglass thing shows up for me too! Maybe it is a paypal glitch...

I just had this VERY thing happen to me. I won an auction, paid immediately and the RECEIVED the item. Last night I got an email from the seller asking me why they hadn't been paid for the item. :confused1:
I went into my Paypal account and sure enough there was the payment sitting there "unclaimed." I emailed the seller back and told her to contact ebay to find out what to do. She didn't reply, but this morning I woke up to a NON-PAY COMPLAINT filed against me!

I immediately called PayPal. They removed the non-pay complaint and told me that the seller had inserted the wrong email address into her Paypal account so when I paid, the money couldn't go anywhere. So I had to cancel, have her send me an invoice and repay.

Why not just communicate this to me instead of file a claim?

Just goes to show you though....be careful about entering your email address into your Paypal account. If you enter a wrong address and it is a working address, someone else might get your money.

I just had this VERY thing happen to me. I won an auction, paid immediately and the RECEIVED the item. Last night I got an email from the seller asking me why they hadn't been paid for the item. :confused1:
I went into my Paypal account and sure enough there was the payment sitting there "unclaimed." I emailed the seller back and told her to contact ebay to find out what to do. She didn't reply, but this morning I woke up to a NON-PAY COMPLAINT filed against me!

I immediately called PayPal. They removed the non-pay complaint and told me that the seller had inserted the wrong email address into her Paypal account so when I paid, the money couldn't go anywhere. So I had to cancel, have her send me an invoice and repay.

Why not just communicate this to me instead of file a claim?

Just goes to show you though....be careful about entering your email address into your Paypal account. If you enter a wrong address and it is a working address, someone else might get your money.
Why did the seller ship the item if she didn't think you paid?

Why did the seller ship the item if she didn't think you paid?

I don't know.....
How would it look on their end? Would it say payment pending? Or do not ship until payment has cleared? Which ever I have had the item for several weeks.

Maybe Paypal didn't catch that the email wasn't correct until after and initially gave her the green light to ship. I don't know....i'm just guessing.

I don't know.....
How would it look on their end? Would it say payment pending? Or do not ship until payment has cleared? Which ever I have had the item for several weeks.

Maybe Paypal didn't catch that the email wasn't correct until after and initially gave her the green light to ship. I don't know....i'm just guessing.
I don't know either.

I think I'd email the seller, both through ebay and direct email telling her that you received the item but your payment hasn't been claimed. Ask her to check her PP account.