Bought a re-painted vintage B shoulder...What to do?

PurseNuub

Oct 23, 2015
Hello all,
I just received my vintage Birkin shoulder from Japan. While the bag is real, it appears that the whole exterior of the bag has been repainted, including the Made in stamp. While it's hard to tell from afar or from pictures, it becomes very apparent as you examine the stitches and the edge of the bag. Not to mention the paint definitely takes away the softness of Clemence leather.
I checked the original listing and there was a line at the bottom saying that it has repainting work done, so I guess it's an mistake on my part for overseeing this. But that doesn't help with what I feel right now: disappointing.

I'm not sure what to do and hope you can share your thoughts?

The seller does not accept Return, or I would do it in a heart beat because I don't want to have a bag that has no access to H spa service.
Should I fight for a return anyway, because the disclaimer was not very obvious. It's a good price for a shoulder B, but it's still a couple thousand dollar of disappointment.
Should I send it to Leather Surgeon to have him strip off this paint and re-store the bag?

Attachments

• Repainted Stamp.jpg
    Repainted Stamp.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 618
  • Repainted Stamp.jpg
    Repainted Stamp.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 656
  • Paint3.jpg
    Paint3.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 700
  • Paint4.jpg
    Paint4.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 647
  • paint5.jpg
    paint5.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 697
Sorry this happened. If it was not stated that the bag was dyed, fight for the return because you'll never fully love this bag. You may have to prove that it was dyed to EBay or the seller though, so be prepared with a statement or proof for that.

Typically, if the person's a good seller, they want to avoid Neg feedback and will find a way to work with you. Just give them a chance by emailing them your concern.

As for stripping the dye, that sounds like it might mess up the actual color underneath too- but I'm no color expert. That might be more trouble and risk.

I checked the original listing and there was a line at the bottom saying that it has repainting work done, so I guess it's an mistake on my part for overseeing this. But that doesn't help with what I feel right now: disappointing.

I am sorry for you, but caveat emptor. You have to look at everything very carefully, question any blemish, shadow or glint that you see in photos, don't take anything for granted. There is a thread on here where sellers complain that eBay always takes the side of buyers, so you could try your luck. With regard to Hermes spa, I know that is the ideal refurbish/repair route, but there are other services like Leather Surgeon that you could use if necessary.

Oh gosh, that's disappointing, so sorry PurseNuub. I would try for the return. To me, "repainting work done" isn't the same as "entire bag repainted". Can I ask where you purchased it and whether you had it authenticated prior to purchase?

I'd reach out to your seller first& give them the opportunity to make this right & point out that the
bag was repainted & not just in specific areas.
Be firm in your request for a return.
Depending on their response , you will have to decide whether to open a dispute on ebay.
Hermes will likely not refurbish this bag as work has already been done & it will probably cost
$$$$ to restore to the condition that you would find acceptable.
You don't know what was used to repaint this bag so there could be other issues sending
it to another bag source.

Sorry this happened. If it was not stated that the bag was dyed, fight for the return because you'll never fully love this bag. You may have to prove that it was dyed to EBay or the seller though, so be prepared with a statement or proof for that.

Typically, if the person's a good seller, they want to avoid Neg feedback and will find a way to work with you. Just give them a chance by emailing them your concern.

As for stripping the dye, that sounds like it might mess up the actual color underneath too- but I'm no color expert. That might be more trouble and risk.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. You are right about "never fully love this bag", I rather have a worn out yet original looking bag then a repainted bag :sad:

I am sorry for you, but caveat emptor. You have to look at everything very carefully, question any blemish, shadow or glint that you see in photos, don't take anything for granted. There is a thread on here where sellers complain that eBay always takes the side of buyers, so you could try your luck. With regard to Hermes spa, I know that is the ideal refurbish/repair route, but there are other services like Leather Surgeon that you could use if necessary.
Hello there,
You are right, I can only blame myself for not thoroughly checking the listing. I think I could have lived with just a little repaint, but the whole exterior is a bit much for me...

Oh gosh, that's disappointing, so sorry PurseNuub. I would try for the return. To me, "repainting work done" isn't the same as "entire bag repainted". Can I ask where you purchased it and whether you had it authenticated prior to purchase?
Yea I've emailed the seller and hope they could work out a return. I bought it from Rakuten. I didn't have it authenticate by an official place, but I did have my friends who know a lot about H authenticated it for me before buying. There is no doubt about its authenticity, just the paint job is bothersome.

I'd reach out to your seller first& give them the opportunity to make this right & point out that the
bag was repainted & not just in specific areas.
Be firm in your request for a return.
Depending on their response , you will have to decide whether to open a dispute on ebay.
Hermes will likely not refurbish this bag as work has already been done & it will probably cost
$$$$ to restore to the condition that you would find acceptable.
You don't know what was used to repaint this bag so there could be other issues sending
it to another bag source.
Yes I emailed them as soon as I got the bag, hopefully they agree for me to return. Unfortunately, I bought the bag from Ratuken, not eBay so it will be more difficult as far as dispute concern.

Thank you all for your thoughts, I appreciate it.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. You are right about "never fully love this bag", I rather have a worn out yet original looking bag then a repainted bag :sad:

Hello there,
You are right, I can only blame myself for not thoroughly checking the listing. I think I could have lived with just a little repaint, but the whole exterior is a bit much for me...

Yea I've emailed the seller and hope they could work out a return. I bought it from Rakuten. I didn't have it authenticate by an official place, but I did have my friends who know a lot about H authenticated it for me before buying. There is no doubt about its authenticity, just the paint job is bothersome.

Yes I emailed them as soon as I got the bag, hopefully they agree for me to return. Unfortunately, I bought the bag from Ratuken, not eBay so it will be more difficult as far as dispute concern.

Thank you all for your thoughts, I appreciate it.
I hope this works out for you!!

Reactions: PurseNuub
I can't see how you can tell that the whole bag was repainted? The gold stamp is still there, and I am not sure but I think the stitching on that color bag should be orange? Anyhow, I agree with you that if it said it was repainted, then it is your fault, and therefore, offer to pay for the shipping back to them, their shipping to you, and any fees they can't get back. I think a reasonable seller would agree to take it back if you are covering all the costs. Good luck :smile:

Reactions: PJW5813 and LLC
I can't see how you can tell that the whole bag was repainted?

As I mentioned, when looking at pictures or from afar it's very hard to tell But when you look closely at the stitch, the edge and the feel of the leather, there is no doubt at all. You could see the paint "licks" on the burnished edge. Not to mention, you can see from the leather grains that the surface isn't part of the leather but coated on. Not easy to describe but anyone can examine the bag closely will be able to tell.

I can't see how you can tell that the whole bag was repainted? The gold stamp is still there, and I am not sure but I think the stitching on that color bag should be orange? Anyhow, I agree with you that if it said it was repainted, then it is your fault, and therefore, offer to pay for the shipping back to them, their shipping to you, and any fees they can't get back. I think a reasonable seller would agree to take it back if you are covering all the costs. Good luck :smile:

Thank you. I don't mind paying the return shipping (I also paid for the shipping from JP to US), I just hope they take it back.

Fight or insist a return
Otherwise sell it asap
With min lost or lucky to break even
Obviously you will not be happy seeing or using this piece
H will not accept refurbishing
Sending outside work will cost more bring your Base higher plus worry further condition when work done

Reactions: Txoceangirl
Fight or insist a return
Otherwise sell it asap
With min lost or lucky to break even
Obviously you will not be happy seeing or using this piece
H will not accept refurbishing
Sending outside work will cost more bring your Base higher plus worry further condition when work done

'sell it asap' to whom? another careless buyer?
- then there will be another thread on here about buying a painted bag - what do I do?

There has got to be some consistency in standards we expect from others and of ourselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: loves and PurseNuub
'sell it asap' to whom? another careless buyer?
- then there will be another thread on here about buying a painted bag - what do I do?

There has got to be some consistency in standards we expect from others and if ourselves.
Consignment stores or reseller
Please be honest and upfront but the condition
Don't hide or lie
It's up to the next buyer to accept and agree before purchasing

As I mentioned, when looking at pictures or from afar it's very hard to tell But when you look closely at the stitch, the edge and the feel of the leather, there is no doubt at all. You could see the paint "licks" on the burnished edge. Not to mention, you can see from the leather grains that the surface isn't part of the leather but coated on. Not easy to describe but anyone can examine the bag closely will be able to tell.

I can definitely see from your pics that even the stitching has been painted over. The only part that I can see that retains some of its original color is the area near the Hermes silver stamp, you can see the orange stitching looks more normal there.

As others have said, offer to pay the shipping both ways, so that the seller doesn't feel like they lost any money if they take it back. It's a small loss compared to what you spent. Good luck and keep us posted!

rakuten is very difficult for return any item. don't forget even you return an item; even though if the seller accept your return; YOU might to be responsible for the import duty back to Japan ( yes even though it's being shipped back, but it's not made in Japan so the custom could apply tax again, just bear that in mind if you return this bag)
the best bet is bring to a reputable leather expert and see what can be done to restore the leather hand feel that you wanted or just sell it to someone that they could accept the bag's condition as is.

Reactions: Millicat