Bought a fake Chanel boy should I contact the seller now or wait to hear back from authenticator

ahswong

Jan 2, 2019
Hi ladies! I need your advice. I purchased a preowned Chanel Boy Old Medium Boy Bag from a resale luxury boutique mid last month and knew that something was off about it when I unpackaged it. The metal logo in the front, the wrapping paper, dust bag and care booklet (all the tiny details) seem very poorly done! This boutique gets their bags authenticated by Real Authentication which is absolutely UNRELIABLE and this bag came back as authentic. I have used the service out of curiosity and taking 6 photos and uploading it to their site to be examined is simply NOT good enough when the counterfeited market is so huge and the super fakes.

Now here's my question- I need to dispute this with my credit card company and so I am shipping this out to the Leather Surgeons for authentication and written documentation (I really hope that I am wrong but my gut tells me that I am right and I have to trust what my gut is telling me). While this is being done, should I reach out to the resale boutique to notify them that the bag they sold me is fake or should I hold off until I get the confirmation and written documentation from the Leather Surgeons. Do you guys think I will be able to get my full money back? After experiencing all of this, I vow to pay full price or not buy if I cant afford Chanel bags. This is all so mentally exhausted on top of what is happening in the world. I hope everyone is doing well and I am truly thankful for this community we have here. Thank you!

Was it an online or brick and mortar boutique?
I know nothing about Chanel but what I have gleaned in passing here so I am not familiar with authenticators who specialize in Chanel
Sorry this happened

Firstly, i would contact the store and see if they have a remedy. Do they offer a "no questions asked" return policy? Is everything final sell? etc.... Selling fakes is punishable under the Lanham Act (federal trademark law)... and if they're unwilling to work with you, call your cc company. I rarely have to dispute charges, but when I do have to make an honest dispute, my bank is always so great about it. So sorry you're dealing with this and best of luck!

Reactions: caannie and ahswong
Now here's my question- I need to dispute this with my credit card company and so I am shipping this out to the Leather Surgeons for authentication and written documentation (I really hope that I am wrong but my gut tells me that I am right and I have to trust what my gut is telling me). While this is being done, should I reach out to the resale boutique to notify them that the bag they sold me is fake or should I hold off until I get the confirmation and written documentation from the Leather Surgeons. Do you guys think I will be able to get my full money back? After experiencing all of this, I vow to pay full price or not buy if I cant afford Chanel bags. This is all so mentally exhausted on top of what is happening in the world. I hope everyone is doing well and I am truly thankful for this community we have here. Thank you!
I believe most CC disputes ask that you at least try to directly work with the retailer first. So contact them ahead of time, say for multiple reasons, you suspect it is a superfake and are sending it to a reliable authenticator for a second opinion and documentation.

Ask them what remedy policies they have in place in case it is indeed declared to be counterfeit by them.

Keep all communication documented somewhere, so that you can present it to CC company if needed in the future. If it is found to be counterfeit, you have a good chance of getting all your money back.

Do this right away: find out when is the deadline for you to file a chargeback case. Is it 60 or 90 days from charge? Write that down on a calendar you regularly check.

If you felt something was wrong is there a reason you've waited this long to take action? You should probably make contact with the company and ask for a return, if allowed. Just tell them you have doubts about authenticity. If they claim it's real and won't take it back, then ship to Leather Surgeons and tell the seller you will be having it authenticated (and charges disputed if fake). I don't understand why would you pay for the Leather Surgeons authentication first if the company is willing to take back something you have doubts about. There are multiple ways to authenticate before you buy, even in the Chanel forum, maybe visit here and see if they'll still help you for free: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/authenticate-this-chanel.937412/page-1763#post-33843791

This is how I'd handle it based on what you've said.

Because you said you hope it's not fake, my recommendation would be to contact the seller/store and let them know that you love the bag but have authenticity concerns. Because you certainly don't want a fake, you will verify authenticity but you're letting them know that if the news is bad, you plan to return it.

That way, the seller will know that should there be a return, it's a valid reason and you're being reasonable in verifying before accusing.

As far as having it authenticated, I wouldn't pay for a professional authentication unless it's necessary. I don't know if the Chanel authenticators (on AT Chanel) will do an item you've already received. Each brand and each authenticator sets their own policy.

If deemed fake on AT Chanel and if the seller gives you a hard time after your pre-emptive email, you may have to pay for a pro. If that's the case, it might be easier, cheaper and less hassle to have Etinceler do it if it's a series they authenticate through pictures. I would expect Leather Surgeons would be more expensive since it involves shipping (both directions) it to and from them, waiting for them to receive and inspect in person then wait for the return after it's sent back.

Firstly, i would contact the store and see if they have a remedy. Do they offer a "no questions asked" return policy? Is everything final sell? etc.... Selling fakes is punishable under the Lanham Act (federal trademark law)... and if they're unwilling to work with you, call your cc company. I rarely have to dispute charges, but when I do have to make an honest dispute, my bank is always so great about it. So sorry you're dealing with this and best of luck!

If you felt something was wrong is there a reason you've waited this long to take action? You should probably make contact with the company and ask for a return, if allowed. Just tell them you have doubts about authenticity. If they claim it's real and won't take it back, then ship to Leather Surgeons and tell the seller you will be having it authenticated (and charges disputed if fake). I don't understand why would you pay for the Leather Surgeons authentication first if the company is willing to take back something you have doubts about. There are multiple ways to authenticate before you buy, even in the Chanel forum, maybe visit here and see if they'll still help you for free: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/authenticate-this-chanel.937412/page-1763#post-33843791

Thanks- I use the authentication forum as well. I am not sure if you are aware or not but the authenticators in the Chanel authentication forum do not authenticate anything higher than 25 series (could be even lower) due to super fakes. Pictures just aren't enough, physical inspection is required. I asked there already but didnt get an answer. I didn't question until I learned that the bag was authenticated by Real Authentication, searched the company (lots of bad reviews) and paid to test out the service myself. I was shocked as to how their authentication process works. Then I compared the Chanel bag to my most recent purchase and the tiny details did not match. I reached out to multiple authenticators and many of these experts including etinceler authentications specifically stated that they won't be able to do inspections via photos via serial number 15000000 to present. Physical inspection is required. I also want to pay Leather Surgeons to do the authentication so that I can file it with my credit card in case the merchant refuse to give me my full refund and they can give me a written statement that I can attach to the case.

This is how I'd handle it based on what you've said.

Because you said you hope it's not fake, my recommendation would be to contact the seller/store and let them know that you love the bag but have authenticity concerns. Because you certainly don't want a fake, you will verify authenticity but you're letting them know that if the news is bad, you plan to return it.

That way, the seller will know that should there be a return, it's a valid reason and you're being reasonable in verifying before accusing.

As far as having it authenticated, I wouldn't pay for a professional authentication unless it's necessary. I don't know if the Chanel authenticators (on AT Chanel) will do an item you've already received. Each brand and each authenticator sets their own policy.

If deemed fake on AT Chanel and if the seller gives you a hard time after your pre-emptive email, you may have to pay for a pro. If that's the case, it might be easier, cheaper and less hassle to have Etinceler do it if it's a series they authenticate through pictures. I would expect Leather Surgeons would be more expensive since it involves shipping (both directions) it to and from them, waiting for them to receive and inspect in person then wait for the return after it's sent back.

Thanks- I like your suggestion and will do that. I use the authentication forum as well. I am not sure if you are aware or not but the authenticators in the Chanel authentication forum do not authenticate anything higher than 25 series (could be even lower) due to super fakes. Pictures just aren't enough, physical inspection is required. I asked there already but didn't get an answer and I completely understand and respect that 100%. These authenticators take their job very seriously and I see that you are one too! I didn't question until I learned that the bag was authenticated by Real Authentication, searched the company (lots of bad reviews) and paid to test out the service myself. I was shocked as to how their authentication process works. Then I compared the Chanel bag to my most recent purchase and the tiny details did not match. I reached out to multiple authenticators and many of these experts including etinceler authentications specifically stated that they won't be able to do inspections via photos for serial number 15000000 to present. Physical inspection is required. I also want to pay Leather Surgeons to do the authentication so that I can file it with my credit card in case the merchant refuse to give me my full refund and they can give me a written statement that I can attach to the case.

@ahswong Is this the fake boy you bought from the seller INANYC on Heroine and requested an authentication of in the ATC thread?
@ironic568 yes, that is one of them- I reached out to the buyer already and never heard back (they usually response next day). I paid via Paypal so I will reach out to Paypal and dispute it. Do you have any advice on how to handle these situations? I browse preown often but don't shop preown very often so this whole file a claim/dispute process is pretty new to me. Right before the Chanel price increase, I purchased two Chanel old medium boy bag from two different sellers on two different platforms (thinking I scored two great deals). I posted both on ATC thread but the black one did not get a confirmation if authentic or not but the gray one did (you confirmed that it was fake). Thanks!

I am unfamiliar with anything Chanel, but what does buying from third party vendors when CHANEL raises their prices accomplish? Do resellers also raise their prices?

I am unfamiliar with anything Chanel, but what does buying from third party vendors when CHANEL raises their prices accomplish? Do resellers also raise their prices?
@poopsie I bought this bag because I like the color/leather/hardware combo (it was listed as lambskin which was my preferred choice but I am OK with calfskin too) and have tried it out at the Chanel store many times. It just happened that when I found/purchased this bag, there were rumors about the increase and Chanel indeed did increase their prices. When Chanel raises their prices, resellers will likely raise their prices as well.

@ironic568 yes, that is one of them- I reached out to the buyer already and never heard back (they usually response next day). I paid via Paypal so I will reach out to Paypal and dispute it. Do you have any advice on how to handle these situations? I browse preown often but don't shop preown very often so this whole file a claim/dispute process is pretty new to me. Right before the Chanel price increase, I purchased two Chanel old medium boy bag from two different sellers on two different platforms (thinking I scored two great deals). I posted both on ATC thread but the black one did not get a confirmation if authentic or not but the gray one did (you confirmed that it was fake). Thanks!
Ah, I see. I might have missed your request, and if it was skipped, it was due to having the wrong format, and/or insufficient pictures, and I was likely tired of having to constantly ask for the right pictures, especially if there were many requests to go through. If I skip several requests, I would normally at the end of every session refer to the post at the top of every page for reasons why requests have been skipped.
If this boy belongs to one of the recent series, in person inspection is indeed recommended, unless I can tell from the available pics that it's a definite fake (or authentic).

As for the fake boy, I'm totally not familiar with Heroine, but assume that they are similar to Tradesy, Poshmark, or Mecari? They should have a return policy in place, especially for counterfeit merchandise. Why don't you contact them and see what they say and go from there? If they can't offer a solution, you still have Paypal as your backup. I think you have up to 6 months from the date of receipt to file a claim with Paypal.

Reactions: ahswong
Ah, I see. I might have missed your request, and if it was skipped, it was due to having the wrong format, and/or insufficient pictures, and I was likely tired of having to constantly ask for the right pictures, especially if there were many requests to go through. If I skip several requests, I would normally at the end of every session refer to the post at the top of every page for reasons why requests have been skipped.
If this boy belongs to one of the recent series, in person inspection is indeed recommended, unless I can tell from the available pics that it's a definite fake (or authentic).

As for the fake boy, I'm totally not familiar with Heroine, but assume that they are similar to Tradesy, Poshmark, or Mecari? They should have a return policy in place, especially for counterfeit merchandise. Why don't you contact them and see what they say and go from there? If they can't offer a solution, you still have Paypal as your backup. I think you have up to 6 months from the date of receipt to file a claim with Paypal.

Thanks- I got confirmation from the Leather Surgeon that they believe the boy bag is authentic which is a relief but the packaging such as the booklet and dust bag still has me questioning unless the seller swapped it out.. Random question- do you have any visibility on how the Leather Surgeon authenticates their bags? I vaguely remember somewhere here in PF that they have access to serial number system but I doubt this is true.

In regards to Heroine- you are correct, it is similar to those app platforms mentioned above. The seller wasn't very unresponsive so I reached out to my CC company and filed a dispute (not exactly what I wanted to do) but they left me with very little options and I was told that I can't ship the fake bag back to them because its illegal to sell fakes. The company that sold me the fake handbag is quite well-known for luxury consignment goods in NYC and I am concerned how many others have purchased a fake Chanel boy from them without realizing it. Le sigh.

Thanks- I got confirmation from the Leather Surgeon that they believe the boy bag is authentic which is a relief but the packaging such as the booklet and dust bag still has me questioning unless the seller swapped it out.. Random question- do you have any visibility on how the Leather Surgeon authenticates their bags? I vaguely remember somewhere here in PF that they have access to serial number system but I doubt this is true.

In regards to Heroine- you are correct, it is similar to those app platforms mentioned above. The seller wasn't very unresponsive so I reached out to my CC company and filed a dispute (not exactly what I wanted to do) but they left me with very little options and I was told that I can't ship the fake bag back to them because its illegal to sell fakes. The company that sold me the fake handbag is quite well-known for luxury consignment goods in NYC and I am concerned how many others have purchased a fake Chanel boy from them without realizing it. Le sigh.
I have no clue about LS having access to Chanel's data base. I don't think I've read that anywhere (though that doesn't say much). I always thought they authenticate based on their knowledge and years of experience in repairing/refurbishing Chanel bags.

Having a database of serial numbers is handy, but it's not a foolproof way of authentication. The internal check system is able to tell you if a bag is fake (serial # doesn't correspond with the bag it's registered to), but not with certainty if it's authentic, even if all the details like color, style, etc. check out. The bag itself requires to be examined by a professional, checking just the sticker/card isn't enough.
The internal check system will tell you which serial # belongs to which bag. It can tell you the style, season, year, color etc. of the bag, and if scanned in person (so not just typing out the serial # in the system) it can also tell you if the card/sticker is authentic, but can't guarantee the authenticity of the bag itself (sticker/card authentic does not always mean that the bag is -> bait and switch cases). If used alone, without an evaluation from a knowledgeable authenticator, It's IMO a very dangerous way of authentication. Even with a database of serial #s, SAs/managers have been fooled in the past. I have seen instances where serial #s passed their internal check and fake bags were accepted by boutiques for repairs.

As for the fake boy, I hope it all works out for you and you'll be able to recoup your money.