bought a fake bag on ebay, now i'm not sure what to do!

quietwars

Aug 2, 2009
hi everyone, i really need some help. last week i bought a second-hand givenchy nightingale on ebay that the seller claimed was an "authentic item from barneys new york" in the listing, but as soon as i received it at the weekend i knew it didn't look right. i posted some pictures in the givenchy authentication thread and they confirmed my suspicions that it's a fake.
so, what do i do now? should i go straight to filing an SNAD claim with paypal? or should i contact the seller first? if i do file an SNAD claim, what exactly happens?
i've never been through this before and i'm really unsure what to do. i spent £400 on the bag and that's a lot for me, i would really like my money back :sad: has anyone been through this and got their money back?

i'm sorry if this kind of thing has been asked before, i'm new to the forum.

If you file a SNAD then you're giving a seller a chance to respond and process a return for you. You have an option to escalate to a claim right away and paypal will freeze the funds in sellers account. You'll likely have to provide a documentation to support the authenticity and once you send your bag back with signature confirm and a tracking number, you'll get your funds back to your account. If you used a credit card and for some reason paypal doesn't side with you you can always file a charge back. I'm sorry this happened to you- you should always ask for more pictures and have the forum authenticate it before you purchase a bag. Hope everything works out for you.

i just checked my ebay messages and found this one from the seller that she sent to me today:

Hi,

did you receive the bag? My friend bought a real nightingale yesterday. I had a look and found it is quite different with the one i just sold to you. i am not quite comfortable with this. would you pls return the bag and I will refund you the money once i get back the item? as i planned to return it to the seller and got a refund.

pls let me know you get this..

which has me wondering, has she become worried because it's been four days and i haven't contacted her/left feedback and she thinks i might report her or something? it feels a little sketchy that her friend would just happen to buy a nightingale this week. or maybe she is being genuine and was fooled by another ebay seller that she plans to return it to? i feel a little uncomfortable just sending the bag back. what if she keeps it and doesn't give me a refund? i'm not sure how i should approach this.

the seller claimed was an "authentic item from barneys new york" in the listing

In the note you just received her her, she stated that she was going to return it to the seller - she did NOT say Barneys NY. It sounds like she bought the bag on eBay and realized that it was a fake and wanted to get rid of it, but her conscience is getting the best of her and she can't go through with the sale.

hey quietwars, glad to see you're chasing this up. The timing of that message does strike me as awful convenient, but within the realm of the benefit of the doubt, it COULD be possible that she didn't know her bag was a fake ( I'm pretty sure there are stories on the forum about girls buying FAKES from department stores as the result of scammers buying a brand new purse, then a fake to match, and returning the fake to the store for a full refund ).

Idk, I'm certain that there are avenues on ebay you can take to get a refund if you reship the bag and she doesn't give your money back... :thinking: I think that if you get ebay involved, they'll have you destroy the bag, because it's a fake ( someone correct me if I'm wrong! ). Perhaps write back, and let her know that you had the bag authenticated and it's coming up as a fake...?

I seriously doubt that she did not know it was fake.First she says she bought it at Barneys and now it's from ebay? She is just trying to get out of hot water it seems to me. File with PP and escalate to a claim, and do not close the case until you are 100% sure the refund has cleared through your account. Better yet, call PP and ask them what to do here. Also can you please put the link here?

At least she is willing to cooperate, but it IS seller's responsibility to confirm the authenticity for all items being sold. I'd definitely ask for instructions from PP.

thanks for all the help everyone! i called paypal to get some advice but they actually weren't all that helpful. the person i spoke to just seemed to be reading a script and repeating things instead of answering my questions.
i also received two more messages from the seller, one saying that if i believe her and think that she's being honest to send the bag back tomorrow and if i don't believe her to open a case with paypal. the other one was this:

sorry for sending you emails again. I asked you to return it because my friend's bag's dust bag is made of a different material of mine, that is why i started to question it.

I bought this for £550 from ebay last year with a receipt. i didn't keep the receipt. but I contacted the seller this morning. she asked me to take it to London and get it authenticated. If it is proved it is not auth, she will refund me the money once I return it with a proof.

I would like to do this during this week. so i hope you can return it by this Saturday so I can get it done during the weekend.

i never plan to sell a fake. if I prove it is auth, if you still want it, i can send it back to you once you pay me again. if not, i will return it to the seller.

i hope you can at least give me a reply, ok? I will send you a 100% refund plus returning postage if you return it.

pls let me know, so I can contact the original seller, ok?

so confusing. i want to believe that she's just being honest and is unfortunately caught up in all of this, but you never know. i just have one last question - if i open a dispute, does it stay open until the money is returned and i close it? or does it automatically close when the seller claims that she will give me a refund (and before i see any money)? i'm just asking because i'm not sure i want to escalate it to a claim and have paypal investigating everything and have to send them evidence etc which i'm guessing will take quite some time. i'm sorry about all the questions, but ebay and paypal's help sections really haven't been so helpful to me lately.

oh and mmmsc, what link is it you want me to post? the link to the auction?

Yes post the link to the auction. I think seller sounds aggressive (saying "if you do or don't believe me", etc) You don't know her from Adam's housecat and I would open the PP case. Maybe just open a PP dispute and escalate to a claim later? That is the only way you are going to be covered by PP for sure. Maybe someone else has other advice, but that is mine.:smile: Do NOT close the PP dispute until you are sure you are refunded and refund has cleared through your account. Once closed, you cannot reopen a PP case.
thanks for all the help everyone! i called paypal to get some advice but they actually weren't all that helpful. the person i spoke to just seemed to be reading a script and repeating things instead of answering my questions.
i also received two more messages from the seller, one saying that if i believe her and think that she's being honest to send the bag back tomorrow and if i don't believe her to open a case with paypal. the other one was this:

sorry for sending you emails again. I asked you to return it because my friend's bag's dust bag is made of a different material of mine, that is why i started to question it.

I bought this for £550 from ebay last year with a receipt. i didn't keep the receipt. but I contacted the seller this morning. she asked me to take it to London and get it authenticated. If it is proved it is not auth, she will refund me the money once I return it with a proof.

I would like to do this during this week. so i hope you can return it by this Saturday so I can get it done during the weekend.

i never plan to sell a fake. if I prove it is auth, if you still want it, i can send it back to you once you pay me again. if not, i will return it to the seller.

i hope you can at least give me a reply, ok? I will send you a 100% refund plus returning postage if you return it.

pls let me know, so I can contact the original seller, ok?

so confusing. i want to believe that she's just being honest and is unfortunately caught up in all of this, but you never know. i just have one last question - if i open a dispute, does it stay open until the money is returned and i close it? or does it automatically close when the seller claims that she will give me a refund (and before i see any money)? i'm just asking because i'm not sure i want to escalate it to a claim and have paypal investigating everything and have to send them evidence etc which i'm guessing will take quite some time. i'm sorry about all the questions, but ebay and paypal's help sections really haven't been so helpful to me lately.

oh and mmmsc, what link is it you want me to post? the link to the auction?

Last edited:
OP.. if you open a PP dispute for SNAD, then YOU will close it once you are fully refunded.
IMO, it does not have as much to do w/ your trust in the seller (she sold you a fake bag, eh??) but in the fact that YOU are "safer" if the dispute is filed via PP. Your choice.

Also when returning.. ONLINE SIGNATURE CONFRIMATION, tracking, and insure for full value. And make sure that you return the bag to her PP address.

Last edited:
You probably should send this bag back to this seller. I would send it with insurance
and delivery confirmation. I would also take a picture of it before I send it.

Notify your credit card company that you are expecting a refund for the bag.

You have her e-mails telling you to send back the bag so that shouldn't be an issue.

Save all emails from this seller. She admitted the bag she sold might be a fake, which is against policy since sellers are supposed to know 100% a bag is authentic before listing. I personally think she knew she was listing a fake, got scared and is trying to fix it.
If it was me, I would file the dispute and escalate it. You need documentation of the whole thing, the seller's word of a refund isn't enough. Good luck!

How is the seller's feedback?

If this were me, I would open a PP SNAD, escalate to a claim and freeze the seller's funds. Seller sold you a bag that is not authentic, bottom line, and she admits it. Her story is suspect.

More so that she contacted the original seller after a year (did I read that right??) and the original original seller wants the bag back?

After escalating to a claim, PP will contact you with instructions. If they tell you to return to seller PLEASE DO WHAT ELLIE MAE suggested and send back with online signature confirmation, insured to the full amount.

I don't trust anybody anymore....sad but true.

mmmsc: here's the link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220456457985&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

simbadog: the feedback is fine, not one negative. but a few of her previous auctions are private listings that look like they were designer bags too which is suspicious. exactly, i really doubt the original seller would care after that long! i have started a dispute but i think i'll escalate it. i just want paypal to deal with it and i don't want to return it and find the seller uses excuses not to pay me whilst she empties the funds from her account or something. she may just be looking to get it back, refund and move on quickly but i don't want to take the chance really.