Bought a bag, USPS claimed it was delivered, but I didn't receive it :(

MrsLinas

Peace.Love.Coach
May 3, 2007
On Aug. 2nd, I bought a Gucci bag on Bonanzle. The seller, which happened to be a fellow TPF'r shipped my item right away thru USPS with Signature confirmation and tracking number. The last time I checked the tracking info, it showed that someone had signed for my package on Aug 4th at 3:16 pm. Mind you that everyone at the household goes to work everyday, M-F. Come to find out, my carrier signed for my package, wrote my name and left my package on the front door. I wrote to my seller and notified her of what is going on, she called my local USPS and was told by one of the supervisors over there that my family had an agreement with the carrier for her to sign my packages and leave my items on the front door when no one is at home. WTF? NO ONE authorized her to do that, what is the purpose of getting a Signature Confirmation if my carrier is just going to do that. So I went to my post office this morning, to speak with the supervisor and carrier and she somehow change her story - she never said anything about an agreement, and that she was in a rush and signed my package (and forged my signature) because she had mistaken my package as a Delivery Confirmation only and not Signature Confirmation..what??? how is it that she would get that confused?? Doesn't that seem fishy to you? And the fact that they tried to point fingers and accuse my neighbor of stealing my package (the neighbor that they're referring to is a Police officer's wife and I honestly do not think she would do something like that..I know this neighbor wouldn't do something like that) So when I asked them what is the point of paying extra for a Sig Confimatipn if the carriers are just going to sign for it and leave the package out, it just defeats the purpose of it. She just answered non-chalantly-"Oh we do that all the time" "You just have to trust your carrier" WTF?? Obviously, I'm not getting anywhere with the supervisor so I asked to speak with the Postmaster, she was as nice as can be. She got my statement, info and opened up a case. The only thing is I have to wait a couple of days while she does her "investigation." Meanwhile, my seller also opened up an inquiry thru USPS.
Now I just sit and wait...It is so upsetting, this has never happened ever! I've been an Ebayer for 6 yrs and have packages delivered to the house and never this problem.
Sorry for the long rant. And thank you for listening/reading.
Any advice that you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated!

I'm so sorry to hear this.

I can't believe your carrier decided to sign for a package. Who does that? Since you've received packages for 6years via ebay and this has never happened to you before sounds a bit fishy from the postal service. They are completely responsible for this loss and should pay up. At least they've opened a case and your buyer is also doing all they can to help too.

Have they said how long this will take? Did you have insurance? Did the carrier say anything about compensation of some sort?

Keep us up to date

cookie888, I'm actually the buyer..and no there was no insurance on the package :sad:
just the signature confirmation
they basically tried to give me the run around when I asked them how long this investigation would take place...

Gee, I have never had one of my carriers sign for me, that is just wrong.

As for how long it will take for the post office to get you your money? My experience is they do not move fast, they check everything out, and there are probably a lot of people that have to sign off on any monies being given out.

Just because you didn't pay for insurance, I think (you can search on tPF) that doesn't mean anything, the buyer is responsible for you getting your item. The buyer is probably the one that will have to deal with the p.o. on this, with your help. Bottom line is, the p.o. falsified your signature, they are to blame. Print out the ebay listing, emails, everything relating to this transaction and good luck, though I think this one is pretty simple--the post office messed up.

And what happened to the bag? Maybe the carrier has it!

MrsLinas... I am not so sure that INS would have done you any good at this point anyway. The package was NOT lost by USPS, it was delivered by USPS, signed for by USPS (uh-oh) and THEN went missing... correct?
I have heard of carriers signing for pkgs before, a practice that is irresponsible, at best, IMO. If your carrier has assumed this responsibility w/out your permission, then she/USPS should be held accountable. If the carrier signed for the package because she mis-read the label as DELIVERY confirm rather than SIGN confirm, the still this was a USPS error and carrier/USPS should be accountable.

From your post, your local PO is trying to assist you. You may also wish to take your complaint to a higher level if there can be no local resolution. You can find 800#'s for Cust Serv at USPS.com. They may can advise you further.

Sadly, from what you posted, USPS appears to have screwed up big time. I hope they can resolve this for you.

Gee, I have never had one of my carriers sign for me, that is just wrong.

As for how long it will take for the post office to get you your money? My experience is they do not move fast, they check everything out, and there are probably a lot of people that have to sign off on any monies being given out.

Just because you didn't pay for insurance, I think (you can search on tPF) that doesn't mean anything, the buyer is responsible for you getting your item. The buyer is probably the one that will have to deal with the p.o. on this, with your help. Bottom line is, the p.o. falsified your signature, they are to blame. Print out the ebay listing, emails, everything relating to this transaction and good luck, though I think this one is pretty simple--the post office messed up.

And what happened to the bag? Maybe the carrier has it!

You mean the seller is responsible for getting the item the buyer? I am not sure if the op can file a claim against the seller in this case because somebody did sign her name and as far as the seller is concerned she could be covered. Although she really should have bought insurance on the bag.
Forging somebody else's signature is crime (not to mention that the mail carrier is a federal employee), and I'd think USPS would take this type of issue seriously. I'm so sorry this happened to you- I really hope postmaster will be in touch with you and help you resolve the situation.

You may be right, Pigalle... forgery... by the postal carrier... EEEEKS!

MrsLinas.. Perhaps this is where you need to go next for help... US Postal Insp Serv... https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/. Their mission is to "investigate civil issues between the public and the Postal System".... make some contact here, perhaps. I think this entity is NOT a part of USPS, therefore, they would be more likely to take this issue seriously.... and not be "protecting one of their own".

You can also call 1-877-876-2455 and file a complaint that way, I would definitely do so as this carrier should not have signed for your package and knows well and good he shouldn't have. I work for USPS and I we've had a number of training notices that carriers are to never ever sign a customers name when an item needs a signature. Some customers do have an agreement to have their packages left at the door (something they fill out when they first move in) but this would not include an item that must have a signature.

Linda

You can also call 1-877-876-2455 and file a complaint that way, I would definitely do so as this carrier should not have signed for your package and knows well and good he shouldn't have. I work for USPS and I we've had a number of training notices that carriers are to never ever sign a customers name when an item needs a signature. Some customers do have an agreement to have their packages left at the door (something they fill out when they first move in) but this would not include an item that must have a signature.

Linda

Linda... will USPS in any way agree to be responsible for this, do you think??

I have to say that I do NOT have any agreement w/ USPS to have packages left at our door. However, they are ALWAYS left on the porch or hanging out on the street on the mail box if no signature is required. Is that a normal practice??
Our "carriers" are outsourced, supposedly they are not USPS employees. They drive their own private vehicles and deliver mail at all hours of the day. The one prior to the current carrier usually delivered mail around 9-10 PM at night.

Linda... will USPS in any way agree to be responsible for this, do you think??

I have to say that I do NOT have any agreement w/ USPS to have packages left at our door. However, they are ALWAYS left on the porch or hanging out on the street on the mail box if no signature is required. Is that a normal practice??
Our "carriers" are outsourced, supposedly they are not USPS employees. They drive their own private vehicles and deliver mail at all hours of the day. The one prior to the current carrier usually delivered mail around 9-10 PM at night.

I'm sorry but I have no experience with outsources carriers, in fact I didn't even realize USPS had these. Our carriers use their own cars here but we are a rural area and we don't have company vehicles. I don't know how USPS will rule as a matter of being responsible for this package, since the carrier has admitted he signed your name it seems to me they should take responsibility, don't give up easily if the postmaster comes back and tells you there's nothing she can do. Try the number I gave you and possibly the Postal Inspector's will help you as has been suggested as well.

When I first moved in here (I did not work for USPS then) I was given a card to sign asking what I wanted the carrier to do if he had a parcel too big for my box. The options were to hold it at the post office and leave a note in my box or deliver it outside the mailbox and if so where did I want them to leave it, such as by the back porch or another easily accessible area. We give these cards to all new residents.

Good luck!

Linda

OP- do not trust everything they tell you at your local post office, call the nationwide customer service number. You've caught that carrier lying and they are not supposed to sign a signature confirmation or insured package for you, absolutely not, so USPS will have to respond for the lost item.

Thank you all for the advice!
I really appreciate it. I will call the 877# that LindaP provided. Is this the same number where you open up an inquiry? Because my seller opened one up and gave me a claim number?
EllieMae, I will def check out that link you sent..

Thanks again, I will keep everyone posted.

I think you are headed in the right direction. From what you have posted, this is not your fault, nor your seller's fault. You both appear to have done what you were supposed to have done. And you seller appears to be trying to assist as much as possible.
I hope that you can resolve this w/ USPS! Better yet, I hope they find your bag running loose somewhere!!

MrsLinas.... one other thought... Did you happen to go door-to-door and check w/ ALL of your close neighbors to see if they happened to have had it left at their home by mistake... or something...?? Just in case??