Bought a bag from Malleries, and it smells bad??

LouisLovinGal

May 24, 2012
I bought a pre-loved Twin Pochette clutch from Malleries and when I opened it, the smell was a bit overwhelming. It has a kind of moldy "been sitting in a cold damp warehouse for too long" kind of a smell. It's hard to wear the bag without smelling it. The bag looks great, with no signs of damage or anything, just has that icky smell. I really don't want to return it, so I was wondering if there is some type of spray I could use or just need to air it out? Is this normal for bags from Mallerie's to smell like this?

I bought a pre-loved Twin Pochette clutch from Malleries and when I opened it, the smell was a bit overwhelming. It has a kind of moldy "been sitting in a cold damp warehouse for too long" kind of a smell. It's hard to wear the bag without smelling it. The bag looks great, with no signs of damage or anything, just has that icky smell. I really don't want to return it, so I was wondering if there is some type of spray I could use or just need to air it out? Is this normal for bags from Mallerie's to smell like this?

Ick......I don't know about that site, but smells would bother me and if airing it out doesn't work, that would be hard to deal with.

Lovin' my bags has a product that you can use to clean and adds a better smell: http://www.lovinmybags.co/eau-de-fleur-lavender/

But you really should not have to spend money to make it smell right, IMO.

I would check the FAQ section. There is alot of information on how to remove different smells...

If the bag came from Asia, the smell is not uncommon. Iv'e bought a couple bags that came from Japan and one of them had that moldy stench your bag has. I put my bag inside a trash bag with kitty litter and sealed it for a few days and repeated the process with a box of baking soda (the fridge/freezer kind), lastly I used a few dryer sheets and It really helped. I hope this helps but If it's unbearable you may want to return, however depending on where the shop is located it may be really expensive.

put it outside in an aired but dark place for couple of days, and spray it inside/out with
febreez or air wick refreshner (not on leather) and wipe remaining
good luck :smile:

Sorry to hear! I've had a bag smell but it wasn't overly strong just had a smoke smell kinda..
I vacuumed the inside and put dryer sheets in there. It was a bag that I could flip the inside out too so I let it sit outside and air out. Left a box of baking soda inside for a couple of days and it's pretty much gone. Good luck.

I recently purchased a bag from Malleries also, and the bag was really clean looked great and had no odor at all. Hope you get the smell out of your bag.

It is possible to find preloved bags that don't smell, but generally you should look for a date code that is no more than a few years old (and even then, this is no guarantee). Also, I returned one bag that I otherwise loved due to a mild perfume smell that I could just not stop fixating on. After waiting a few months, I ultimately found another one similar preloved one that did not smell. So I say, return it -- you should not have to settle (unless you got a ridiculously good deal, in which case the smell was accounted for in the low price)

I'm dealing with a similar issue on a pre-loved deauville. I cleaned the inside and outside canvas with a baby wipe with white vinegar. I did this a few times and it lessened the musty smell by a lot. The vinegar smell does go away. I put it in a closet with damp rid and activated charcoal. Now I have a box of baking soda and a couple of activated charcoal sachets in the zipped up bag. I'll leave that for a few days and then air out. It has been very cold and rainy here, so I can't really leave outside. I hear the sun helps. I'm not giving up. Each thing I have done seems to lessen it a little more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 311
I actually was interested in a couple items on malleries but I never got responses to questions so I could verify authenticity. Oh well..Blessing in disguise I guess. Good luck with the smell. That would drive me crazy!

I've heard that coffee will soak up bad smells like moldy types. Not exactly sure about the process with the coffee but you might do a search on it. From what I can tell it was basically a miracle worker. :shrugs:

This happened to me recently w a pre loved speedy. I tried dryer sheets, febreeze baking soda, sealing it in a bag with coffee grinds and ultimately nothing worked for me. The bag was from 1999 and it had just sat for too long not being used. The smell lessened but was always lingering in the background. I was fixated on it so I returned it. If smells really bother you like me then you may want to return it. I felt like the musty smell is just such a strong smell and really hard to get out. Good luck in whatever you decide!