Bottoms with Elastic Waistbands-How Much Stretch

pr1nc355

Orange Pyramid
O.G.
May 24, 2006
I posted this question in the Isabel Marant thread, but I realize it applies to other pieces of clothing I own and have looked at.

As brands and styles vary, it's probably rare to buy the same size bottom every time. When buying bottoms that have elastic waistbands, how do you determine what size is the best, particularly if you can't see much difference in the dressing room, say when you try on a size 6 vs. an 8? I think some people would go with the 6 because you know the waistband will stretch if you need it to (like if you wear them to Thanksgiving dinner:lol:)? Or do you go with the 8 so that you won't need the elastic to stretch so much and maybe it won't wear out as fast?

I'd go with the pants that look most flattering around the hips and fit well regardless of the waistband. Most of the times I need to size down as elastic waisted pants tend to be too baggy everywhere else. I guess it's down to the kind of look your going for.

I'd go with the pants that look most flattering around the hips and fit well regardless of the waistband. Most of the times I need to size down as elastic waisted pants tend to be too baggy everywhere else. I guess it's down to the kind of look your going for.

I agree - it's more important to have the hips/bottom look ok rather than the waistband. I have loads of pants & skirts with elastic waist and that haven't 'stretched out' at all. In saying that though, I purchased a skirt yesterday with an elastic waist - it's a maxi with loads of volume and the size I got was tight in the waist which gave me a ugly muffin top :P but I'll wear it with a top overneath the waist, my correct 'waist' size (one size up) just had toooooo much volume with it down below!