Food Bottled Water

I think you meant 'everyone says bottled water is no better than tap water (in the US).'?

Anyway, I think I saw on the news that Dasani is bottled London (UK) tap water!

should read every one, as in every study!

And yep...Dasani, aquafina and Arrowhead drinking water, are all tap water from where ever they are bottled, which is all over. Very sad that people are buying stuff they think is better and basically they could save their bottles and fill them at home and get the same thing....plus help the enviorment by not using so much plastic.

Arrowhead does also have a springwater, so you have to check the label.

I think you meant 'everyone says bottled water is no better than tap water (in the US).'?

Anyway, I think I saw on the news that Dasani is bottled London (UK) tap water!

dasani was banned about 2 weeks after its release in the uk :roflmfao: there was something cancerous in it and they never bothered to re-launch it as far as i know...

i like evian, vittel and voss the most. i usually drink evian or vittel in the uk, in finland, sweden and denmark i drink tap water most of the time.

should read every one, as in every study!

And yep...Dasani, aquafina and Arrowhead drinking water, are all tap water from where ever they are bottled, which is all over. Very sad that people are buying stuff they think is better and basically they could save their bottles and fill them at home and get the same thing....plus help the enviorment by not using so much plastic.

Arrowhead does also have a springwater, so you have to check the label.

Paying for bottled tap water is one HUGE con!

:sad:

dasani was banned about 2 weeks after its release in the uk :roflmfao: there was something cancerous in it and they never bothered to re-launch it as far as i know...

i like evian, vittel and voss the most. i usually drink evian or vittel in the uk, in finland, sweden and denmark i drink tap water most of the time.

So if Dasani has been banned in the UK why not in the USA? Has the cancer-causing agent been taken out, the water reformulated, or from another source or is it not something the USDA (or whatever agency it should be) not worried?

I either drink tap water or sparkling mineral water. I refuse to waste my money on flat bottled water.
Our Fridge also puts out water... there's a filter in there:P

Yep that's me too, except I've put my tap water in the Brita filter. I can't drink the filtered water from the fridge because it sets my teeth on edge due to the cold.

So if Dasani has been banned in the UK why not in the USA? Has the cancer-causing agent been taken out, the water reformulated, or from another source or is it not something the USDA (or whatever agency it should be) not worried?

it was just the uk supply that became contaminated so it was all withdrawn. and after all the bad press coca cola decided not to even attempt re-launching, people were already mocking it because it was purified tap water.

United Kingdom
Dasani was launched in the UK in January 2004.
In March 2004, it became public through an article in The Independent newspaper that the tap water of Sidcup was being treated, bottled and sold under the Dasani brand name in the UK. Although Coca-Cola never implied that the water was being sourced from a spring or other natural source, they marketed it as being especially "pure". Hence, the public revelation of it being simply treated tap water caused a media stir.
The media made mocking parallels with a popular episode of the well-known BBC sitcom Only Fools and Horses in which the protagonist Del Boy attempts to pass off tap water as spring water. This scheme fails when the local reservoir becomes polluted (also because of Del) causing the bottled water to glow yellow. The episode is believed to have contributed to the severe negative reaction to Dasani by the press and public. Clips from this episode were shown in news reports and other programmes relating to the Dasani flop.
Two weeks later, UK authorities found a concentration of bromate in the product that could be considered harmful if drunk in large quantities. Dasani was potentially carcinogenic. Coca-Cola recalled half a million bottles and pulled the "Dasani" brand from the UK market on March 19, 2004.[1] Shortly after, plans to introduce the brand on Continental Europe were announced to have been cancelled as well. Ironically, bromate was not present in the tap water before Coca-Cola's "purification" process. During that process the bromate was produced it from the tap water's harmless bromide.
Coca-Cola added calcium chloride to Dasani in the UK to meet laws requiring calcium in all bottled waters. The company claims that the amount of bromide in the water led to the formation of unacceptable levels of bromate during the ozonation process used in purification. The U.S. version of Dasani does not contain calcium chloride.
In 2004 the Ig Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded to The Coca-Cola Company for "using advanced technology to convert liquid from the River Thames into Dasani, which for precautionary reasons has been made unavailable to consumers".
The withdrawal of the product and the resulting PR disaster has been likened to the New Coke fiasco. Dasani never made it to Ireland or Northern Ireland, as Coca-Cola Bottlers (Ulster) produce the Deep River Rock brand of water for sale in the island.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasani

and

- http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,3604,1174127,00.html

it was just the uk supply that became contaminated so it was all withdrawn. and after all the bad press coca cola decided not to even attempt re-launching, people were already mocking it because it was purified tap water.

- Dasani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and

- Things get worse with Coke | | Guardian Unlimited Business

Thanks for the article! Very interesting indeed. I even know the comedy show the article mentions because I watched it when I was younger.

That's very interesting....I don't drink Dasani anymore at all. When it first came out, it was my favorite water until I was getting sick and realized it was in fact the Dasani water, wrote Coca Cola co., etc., no one cared. I never drank it again..

I just drink boiled water unless I'm outside then I will get bottled drinking or distilled water. Water at my place is clean from the tap and it can even be consumed on it's own but I usually boil it first as my family doesn't have the habit of drinking from the tap.

At home I have gallon bottles of water bought from the store. I think with the amount of water I drink I should probably get the Hinckley and Schmidt setup. At work, I try to drink at least one bottle per day. Aquafina is usually the brand I buy.

We have a water filtration system at home so we normally buy at the store. However, my husband and I really enjoy drinking sparkling water. Our favorite is Gerolsteiner. Sounds weird but it does taste better than Pellegrino and the other major brands out there. We buy the stuff by the case at Trader Joes.