Bottega's Unique Weaving and Treatment Processes

ReRe

ReRe
O.G.
Apr 16, 2006
Some of our TPF members have an extradinary amount of knowledge and details when it comes to the unique weaving (and treatment) processes from Bottega. I thought it would make a wonderful new thread, and maybe, even a reference thread. I am taking some license by collecting some of the weaving descriptions sent to me or posted to start the thread. It would be nice to show samples of the different weaves too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Baseball_Jen
Crochet - from septembersiren

They actually crochet the leather using 200 meters of leather for the big one and 150 for the small

Mini Crochet

Attachments

• bv%20crochet3.jpg
    bv%20crochet3.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 7,055
  • Thanks
Reactions: Baseball_Jen
Origami (F/W 2007) - from septembersiren

The origami is created by actually folding the leather into origami pyramids and then hand sewn
quite labor intensive
It does look like they cut the leather to achieve this but that is the empty spaces in between the little pyramids

they are coming out with an origami knot bag for cruise in anome (purple)
that is just too pretty for words .

neropatorigamiaw07-jpg.664261

Honeycomb S/S 2009

The honeycomb design starts with tubes of leather sewn with the seam toward the front. Then the seam is manipulated to the left and right, where it is sewn to the corresponding seam of its neighbor. (jburgh)

bv oragami.jpg

bv oragami2.jpg

Bombe is a padded weave. They put a soft foam between the two layers of leather to get that rounded look.

croc-trim-tote-jpg.538636

bombe_satchel2-jpg.538633

bombe_satchel3-jpg.538634

Reactions: OneMoreDay
ReRe - wonderful thread idea!

BV Mosaic

individual paillettes (sp?) sewn into the bag to create a woven look - my favorite of the season

btw these pix are credited to jburgh and i think SSC - apologies if i got that wrong

Attachments

• mosaic2.jpg
    mosaic2.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 6,815
  • mosaic mineral.jpg
    mosaic mineral.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 6,810
  • UluruRedMosaicoWeave1.jpg
    UluruRedMosaicoWeave1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 4,617
Last edited:
This Cabat is treated with a tie-dye technique
-Extremely soft & beautiful
-Offered in 3 different sizes: medium, large, uomo
-Prices: $7600, $9500, $9800 usd
-Fetucce are not flat but tubular so the touch is a bit more padded
-Nappa umbria
-Color: cigar, ivory, moro

Attachments

• Nappa Umbria SS2010 Cabat.jpeg
    Nappa Umbria SS2010 Cabat.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 4,586
Cabat Weaving
It is handmade from 70 fettuccine-thin strips of leather, which are intricately woven through tiny slots. This creates a plaited effect, inside and out, which doubles the bag's strength. The technique was invented by Bottega Veneta in the Sixties, when the company was established in Vicenza. Bottega means "a place of work for artisans" and Veneta refers to the Veneto region of eastern Italy, where they are based. The intensive labour that is involved in making each bag - two days' handiwork by two people - restricts production to a maximum of 200 of each style, each season, for worldwide distribution

BV-Reflet-Train.jpg

cabatweaver.jpg

From Alisonanna - The Tornabuoni collection features vertically twisted fettucce on the handbag body. All handbags in this collection are made of Capretto (goatskin) which gives them a lovely shine and transparency of color.

fettucce is a wide form of fettuccine past

An SA in BH told me that TM is playing with treating leather as if it were fabric so we will see interesting twists and turns on leather.

pix of uluru courtesy of ebay seller designer9822

attachment.php

pix of the black satchel courtesy of our SA in hawaii, [email protected]

attachment.php

Attachments

• int tornabuoni satchel nero 2.jpg
    int tornabuoni satchel nero 2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 9,976
  • Ulurulu tuournoboni veneta. detailJPG.JPG
    Ulurulu tuournoboni veneta. detailJPG.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 8,397
Reactions: OneMoreDay
i don't know anything about how these weaves are created, but perhaps someone will weigh in. these were so beautiful....

copper nappa bag and copper grosgrain bag from ss09.

pix courtesy of [email protected]

Attachments

• copper nappa bag.jpg
    copper nappa bag.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 4,241
  • copper gross grain bag on shoulder $5850 - no flash.jpg
    copper gross grain bag on shoulder $5850 - no flash.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 4,206
Last edited:
Reactions: jbags07
Pieds de poule - FW2009/2010

The attention to detail on this weave is amazing - to create the houndstooth effect in nappa. this is something special

Attachments

• mini cabat pied de poule 2.jpg
    mini cabat pied de poule 2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 4,233
  • mini cabat pied de poule 1.jpg
    mini cabat pied de poule 1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 4,605
Last edited:
Reactions: jbags07
BV Mosaic

individual paillettes (sp?) sewn into the bag to create a woven look - my favorite of the season

btw these pix are credited to jburgh and i think SSC - apologies if i got that wrong

The BV Mosaico uluru and mineral Veneta photos were mine... but that's fine.

Let me elaborate on the process. As you can see, it is technically not woven but laser-etched with hand-sewn finishes. It's made of two layers of Cervo leather. The base layer forms the general Veneta shape of the bag. A second layer of Cervo leather is adhered to the base. A laser is used to cut the squarish looking pieces that eventually give the "mosaic" effect. Lastly, each diamond-looking piece is sewn by hand. Very labor-intensive.

It's a bag you must seen in person to appreciate. Pictures don't do justice. Comes in uluru red, mineral and elephant for the Veneta... Nero and Truffle in other styles (partial mosaico patterns on the bag).

Last edited:
I call this the "sister" of the BV Mosaico since it employs a similar process though the materials used are very different.

Intrecciato Brise Ayers (F/W '09)

There are 3 layers of materials on this bag. The base of the bag is the signature intrecciato weave. A layer of leather and sheet of acetate is adhered to the layer of woven leather. Next a laser precisely cuts the acetate into small square sequins. The same laser is then used to cut the underlying layer of leather into larger square paillettes. Panels are then hand-finished for the final effect.

Limited edition, only 250 available worldwide.

Attachments

• Brise Ayers weave.jpg
    Brise Ayers weave.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 4,287
  • Brise Ayers Nero.jpg
    Brise Ayers Nero.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 4,137