Bottega veneta in lambskin- how do I care for it?

Hello! I got a BV cassette bag in lambskin leather. What can I use to protect it? This is my first lambskin leather bag so your suggestions will be very helpful. Thank you!
Generally, they need no care. Keep it out of the rain and don’t spill beer on it, and it will last you many many years. If you do a search on the BV forum, you’ll find this answer repeated numerous times.

Congrats on your purchase! Enjoy!

ETA: I’m glad you’ve decided to keep the bag - it is a pretty thing!

• Love
Reactions: 880
Generally, they need no care. Keep it out of the rain and don’t spill beer on it, and it will last you many many years. If you do a search on the BV forum, you’ll find this answer repeated numerous times.

Congrats on your purchase! Enjoy!

ETA: I’m glad you’ve decided to keep the bag - it is a pretty thing!
Thank you! I ended up ordering it in black and it didn’t have the creases. I love the bag. Does rain cause permanent spots on a lambskin bag? I probably shouldn’t use the bag this upcoming winter then? During snow season?

Reactions: indiaink
Thank you! I ended up ordering it in black and it didn’t have the creases. I love the bag. Does rain cause permanent spots on a lambskin bag? I probably shouldn’t use the bag this upcoming winter then? During snow season?
No, rain doesn't cause permanent spots. If it gets wet, you probably won't even be able to tell it on the black lambskin. Just let it dry naturally, dab (don't rub) up any extra water. If you want to wear your bag out in a snowstorm, that's your prerogative. Most people don't. Carry a tote for emergency weather conditions, perhaps? Or carry a different bag if you know it's going to snow and you're going to be out in it. Or put it under your coat. Surely you've had other bags under exigent circumstances? What did you do then? Enjoy this bag and quit worrying - they are much tougher than they seem to be. :flowers:

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: bisbee, 880 and RT1
No, rain doesn't cause permanent spots. If it gets wet, you probably won't even be able to tell it on the black lambskin. Just let it dry naturally, dab (don't rub) up any extra water. If you want to wear your bag out in a snowstorm, that's your prerogative. Most people don't. Carry a tote for emergency weather conditions, perhaps? Or carry a different bag if you know it's going to snow and you're going to be out in it. Or put it under your coat. Surely you've had other bags under exigent circumstances? What did you do then? Enjoy this bag and quit worrying - they are much tougher than they seem to be. :flowers:
Thanks for the info! I’ve worn my other bags despite snow etc bc I don’t always remember to switch the bags, check the weather etc. I have read that lambskin is a very fragile leather so I was unsure as to how carefully I should treat the bag or how much precaution I should consider taking.

Reactions: RT1 and indiaink
I would moisturise the leather with some kind of leather lotion once a year. Preferably something suitable for aniline leather if the leather is delicate. I use French brand Saphir for moisturizing and conditioning all my leather bags and shoes. Saphir nappa leather balm is suitable for nappa lambskin, but I don't think it's necessary to use only this kind of specific brand. I have heard good things about Cadillac leather lotion being used over at Chanel forum. I think brands like Woly and Collonil works as well. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: RT1
I was concerned about the same thing but it depends where you live imo. I live in Montreal, Canada and it snows most of the damn year it feels like sooo I just kinda feel like I’m not gonna spend that much on a bag to NOT wear it when I want to... despite the ever-changing weather outside, you know? I say go with your gut and wear when you want (unless it’s monsoon season or something lol)

• Love
I was concerned about the same thing but it depends where you live imo. I live in Montreal, Canada and it snows most of the damn year it feels like sooo I just kinda feel like I’m not gonna spend that much on a bag to NOT wear it when I want to... despite the ever-changing weather outside, you know? I say go with your gut and wear when you want (unless it’s monsoon season or something lol)

I got caught in a few downpours/sleet while walking between Holts and Ogilvy and it didn’t even leave a tiny mark on my lamb bag after it dried.However, I keep a small cotton cloth in my bag so I can wipe it down!

I got caught in a few downpours/sleet while walking between Holts and Ogilvy and it didn’t even leave a tiny mark on my lamb bag after it dried.However, I keep a small cotton cloth in my bag so I can wipe it down!
Good thing it’s the same store now! Haha But I got caught in the rain as well a few days ago with my large pouch, and while it did leave some dark spots all over the bag, once it dried a couple minutes later they completely disappeared.

• Love
Reactions: RT1 and Christofle
Good thing it’s the same store now! Haha But I got caught in the rain as well a few days ago with my large pouch, and while it did leave some dark spots all over the bag, once it dried a couple minutes later they completely disappeared.

Haven't been to a shop since February due to COVID so hopefully one day soon I'll be able to enjoy a weekend outing at the new "Holts".

• Love
Haven't been to a shop since February due to COVID so hopefully one day soon I'll be able to enjoy a weekend outing at the new "Holts".
I know what you mean... the one time I kinda saw the inside since March was last month when I literally darted in to meet my SA at the door with my large pouch! I so wanted to look around but I was too nervous.

• Love
Reactions: Christofle and RT1