Botkier vs Rebecca Minkoff

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I noticed some of you commented that you feel Botkier is better quality than Rebecca Minkoff. This interests me in that I've been considering these two brands. I've seen a lot more Botkier IRL. I was looking at a Trigger last week. I've always liked those and I see they have bags in the new line that resemble the Trigger so Trigger will not look dated.

I haven't had the opportunity to see RM bags IRL until Nordies in my area got them recently. they only have the spring colors and I was rather disappointed in them. Looking at pics of the black MA and some of the other colors, the look beautiful. So what is your issue with RM? Are they not as luscious IRL? Or have there been wear and tear problems?
Thank you.

I have only three Botkier bags now (had six) and one RM. I had to take the RM back to Nordies for a repair soon after purchasing. I had to send one of my Botkiers for repair also but overall, I think, RM has or has had serious quality and customer service issues. The stitching of my RM Elisha started coming undone, and was pulling away from where it attaches to the bag. My Botkier turn lock fell off but that was a sample sale bag but they fixed it for a small fee.

I'm currently awaiting my first Botkier, so I can't do a direct comparison with my RM (a Matinee) yet, but I can definitely say that my RM has been my most disappointing purchase so far, out of the brands that I've bought (Jenny Yuen, Treesje, Linea Pelle and Foley + Corinna -- the last also disappointing, but not as bad as RM).

My RM has a number of issues, some of which may have been caused by the store itself during the length of time it was there (dirt marks, a small scuff), but the others were clearly manufacturing-related: a number of needle or pin holes in the leather, two loose stitches that have since come undone (thankfully, not unravelling), and the worst, a patch of badly-pitted leather (and another few patches with less-pitted leather) that looks damaged. Even if the pitted leather is somehow natural, it's pretty poor manufacturing/QC, IMHO, to produce a bag using such sub-par leather on the main body of the bag itself. These are more minor issues compared to the common major QC problems with RM bags, yes, but I can hardly imagine the Botkier being any more disappointing than this (*knocks on wood*), so yeah, I'd say RM is definitely not all that good quality.

If you've read the RM forums, there have definitely been some very serious QC issues with that brand over the years, which still have not been completely eradicated today, IMHO. These aren't just wear-and-tear problems, but actual defects that cause the affected part to break in rather short periods of time after use. The common ones include feet or other pieces of hardware falling off or breaking, handles not being attached properly or losing reinforcement over time (usually only in the older bags), and bleeding linings. Bags produced more recently seem to have fewer problems, but it could also just be that they haven't been found or reported yet. (Given the track record, I prefer to err on the side of caution.) CS is also problematic, and whilst they have a new CS rep who is apparently an improvement, I've yet to personally have a properly-satisfactory experience with her.

Given that such rampant problems don't seem to crop up as often with Botkier bags in this subforum, QC and otherwise, that's definitely part of the reason why I think Botkier bags are regarded as better quality than RM. Just my two cents, and I'll definitely be able to give more input once I receive my first Botkier.

^^ ITA agree with what Starkfan has written above. Hands down for me ...Botkier is a better made brand for the same price point. I have had 3 RM's (Nikki and MA) that the stitching has come undone making it break apart from the leather. For me...Botkier is a better made brand.

I saw on TPF yesterday that Loehmanns has MA and I was going to check out the Loehmann's near me today to see if they have it. I'm going there anyway but I'll take your comments into consideration. If I purchase a bag there, they won't stand behind it as Nordies would. So it will be at my own risk.
thanks

I saw on TPF yesterday that Loehmanns has MA and I was going to check out the Loehmann's near me today to see if they have it. I'm going there anyway but I'll take your comments into consideration. If I purchase a bag there, they won't stand behind it as Nordies would. So it will be at my own risk.
thanks

:yes: Yup, buying from a store with a good returns policy is also really important -- learned this one myself the hard way too! (The online store I bought my RM from, The Hip Chick, has really poor CS and a horrible returns policy, in addition to selling me a bag that was in such poor condition too. Definitely a bad choice on my part to take the risk with them.) It's especially important if you're buying online, but even if you're buying in person, it'd be good to buy from a store that can help you out in case anything goes wrong later on.

I have bags from both brands and I generally prefer the leather of RM bags. They require a little more of a break in period, but I think they are a more durable leather than my botkier bags. This said, I still like my botkiers. I have heard of the many problems with RM QC but have luckily not experienced this myself. I was also spoiled by an old bag of mine that had light colored lining, so I don't really care for the dark lining in my botkiers. It makes the inside kind of like a black hole. For that reason, I like RM lining better.

I agree that most of the spring RM colors were disappointing. My black MAM is my favorite bag.

All good points. I wil have to see if Loehmanns has a MA. If they have a black one, I may be tempted. That is assuming the leather looks better than the pastel ones I've seen.

I've often compared these two brands because I call these mid-priced bags....not too cheap but not out of reach. I don't own either at the moment but I've read a lot of the CS issues and QC issues on the RM forum. The RM forum is busier...lots of posting on there and I noticed that the Botkier forum is slow going and I really don't understand why that is. Maybe because RM's Morning After which is very popular and considered a 'classic' that keeps coming back in more colors each season. Botkier has brought back the Trigger, which I also consider a 'classic'. I think as long as Monica Botkier keeps making these classic style bags year after year she will get the same following as RM with the MAB. :smile:

I have 4 Botkier bags and 6 RM Nikkis. I think that the leathers are very similar but I prefer the linings on my RM bags. Botker linings are so bland. I haven't had any QC issues with any of my bags. I tend to sell my used bags and find that Botkier has very poor resale value; RM is much better.

All interesting points ladies. The first Botkier bag I saw and liked (but didn't buy) was a Trigger. After that I liked the large Bianca. I did buy two of them but returned them as I didn't love the colors. Today when I see the Bianca I have no interest in it. I no longer like the bulging pockets. Trigger looks better to me.

I have three Botkiers and two RM and I must say that I think the quality on botkier is FAR FAR better. I think they have held up better, better/thicker leather to begin with, and my botkiers had suede lining (not sre if they still do, but rm's is fabric or canvas lining). I bought two RMs bc the color choices and style choices are different, but if it is a decision between two bags you like the style/color of equally well, the Botkier will almost certainly be of better quality. i have a botkier that I bought used on the bay and since then I've had it for three years and it still looks amazing!

I think part of the problem with botkier is their lack of response to their best customers! Despite demand, stopped the triggers and their brightly colored fun bags like Clyde and others of their better bags and began making some rather strange bags for a while --like hordes of patents and weird gold bags ---despite customers stating they wanted the botkier trigger back. So when they finally listen and bring back the trigger they pick yellow and green! They should have brought it back in a smaller size --in a magenta or hot pink or bright blue trigger ---

RM also realizes her best customers are TPF and invites us to special sale previews. Botkier only allow publicists to her VIP nights which is a slap in the face to her many good customers on TPF and in NYC!

^^ Well, maybe Monica will read this and make some changes. I really think her bags that are out right now, this spring, are fantastic and not trendy at all, which can look 'dated' after one season. BTW, the Botkier Trigger also comes in black, which is a staple piece. RM sticks to her best sellers: the Nikki and the Morning After, season after season in different colors and people seem to like them and keep going back for more, like Balenciaga's that people collect in a rainbow of colors....but at least these bags won't break the bank!!