Boots sizing

Jan 19, 2008
I know this is a bit of a broad question but...

There is a pair of boots in the sale that I've been wanting for ages - the only problem is they are about 1-1.5 sizes bigger than I wear in normal heels from the same designer. I've never really worn boots before so I'm not sure if you can get away with having them larger, as you're less likely to slip out?

I'm very willing to use insoles etc to try and pad them out a bit but what do you think? Would they be far too big?

There is a pair of boots in the sale that I've been wanting for ages - the only problem is they are about 1-1.5 sizes bigger than I wear in normal heels from the same designer. I've never really worn boots before so I'm not sure if you can get away with having them larger, as you're less likely to slip out?

I'm very willing to use insoles etc to try and pad them out a bit but what do you think? Would they be far too big?

Depending on the boot I always seem to go for slightly larger size and remember you can wear stockings/tights or socks with boots which will take some of the space, plus a boot provides more all round support to foot so issues of heel slippage is less important than in strappy shoes.

That is hard, if they are 1 size too big you might be able to make it work with a thicker sock and a insert however 1.5 size too big is pushing it as your going to have more problems with rubbing/slipping and harming your feet.

annaspanna33 said:

I agree that 1.5 is pushing it. I had a pair of lace-up flat boots that were 1 size too big. I thought it would work out because of the laces, but I found that insoles didn't really work as they just pushed my feet closer to the top of the boot but didn't solve the problem of extra length. I ended up walking a little bit funny in them because they were too long--sort of like I had clown shoes on.

I agree - 1 size up might be doable, but 1.5 is way too large - you don't want to be swimming in the boots, and sizing up that much can cause pain & blisters.