*Books* Addicted to Chic Lit

Chanel4me83

Feb 24, 2006
Although I enjoy "serious" reading I have to confess I love chic lit, to the point that if I really enjoy a book i will read it to my boyfriend (he does love me) lol. So I was wondering if any of you enjoy these books. Maybe we can give recommendations, well here are my favorites.

All books by Sophie Kinsella
Confessions of a shopaholic*
Shopaholic takes Manhattan
Shpaholic ties the Knot
Shopaholic and Sister
Can you keep a secret*
Undomestic Goddess

Jemima J by Jane Green
Girl's Poker Night by Jill A. Davis*
any book by Carly Phillips
any book by Jennifer Cruise
and my latest read The little lady Agency by Hester Browne*

*must reads

Oh, I loved Sophie Kinsella's 'Can you keep a secret?' way more than I did the Shopaholic series... it just had that something that keeps you gripping that book 'til 3 AM :amuse:

Also I loved Hester Browne's 'The Little Lady Agency' and I loved the fact that the plot was so unusual!

I love Helen Fieldings 'Olivia Joules and the overactive imagination', although I adore Bridget, I prefer the movies to the books.

Some other favourites include:

Any book by Louise Bagshawe
'Nanny' by Melissa Nathan
'Begdorf Blondes' by Plum Sykes (it's deliciously superficial :P )
and my latest: 'Handbags and gladrags' by Maggie Alderson

I do read serious books as well :lol:

IMO Chic lit is best when read on the beach or else when it's freezing cold outside and you don't have to leave outdoors but are able to read with a cup of hot chocolate and a wool blanket :love:

I am always looking for more contemporary novels to read, though my favorites are usually classics.

Here are some of my recommendations off the top of my head:
Kite Runner (a very memorable book with a glimpse into Afghanistan)
Life of Pi (The end drove me crazy!)
Ishmael (There's a talking gorilla, but it's a serious novel with a good message about conservation)

What are some memorable books that you have read?

i second the recommendation of kite runner. i read it last year in school and it was so good!

i don't really have anything to recommend because i never have time to read anything but what i read in school and those books are usually bad.

mmm bergdorf blondes was fun! but now i have a horrible habit of saying "beyond" all the time. :smile:

i usually pick chick lit based on the cover and don't remember the names. :\ but i like meg cabot a lot!

other contemporary authors: dan brown (angels and demons, divinci code, etc) and gregory maguire (wicked is one of my favorites EVER. confessions of an ugly stepsister was excellent as well!)

I love to read and chick lit is light and easy it’s like brain candy yesterday I picked up ‘Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress’ and ‘You’ll Never Nanny in This Again: The True Adventures of a Hollywood Nanny’ almost done with You’ll Never Nanny funny love books about how the rich and famous half lives.

Some of my less light reading favorites are ‘There Are No Children Here: The Story of Two Boys Growing Up in The Other America’ Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America’
And ‘Rachel and Her Children: Homeless Families in America’ and and one of the best is
‘When Heaven and Earth Changed Places’ and ‘Child of War, Woman of Peace’

Chick Lit is the literary equivalent of junk food. lol. I LOVE it.

Bergedorf Blondes is my absolute favorite. I haven't come across another one quite so adorably superficial and cleverly written. The advil suicide attempt at the Ritz in Paris is beyond. It made me add tres to my vocabulary though. lol.

I adore the shopaholic books, but they're a bad influence. I liked the devil wears prada at first, but there was something about the style that I disliked. I read the authors new books, and I regret the $17 I spent on it. It is basically the EXACT same story recycled into a different profession ( PR). i.e. Insanely naive girl enters a job that she's incredibly udnerqualified for. She mysteriously excels at it, and of course her new job compromises every other part of her life - and she's incredibly annoying/unlikable throughout the entire book. Add in a half a million instances of poorly placed name dropping and you've got "Everyone Worth Knowing." :-P

I adore The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants. It's the sweetest little set of books ever. I'm embarassed to admit I've read ALL the gossip girls to date, and they're a guilty pleasure. I wish they were a little less raunchy though, it detracts from the good fun. :smile:

Chick-Lit is perfect poolside reading.:love:

OH. and Trading Up is another favorite of mine. I wasn't as big of a fan of Candance Bushnells other books, but I really enjoyed that one. I think I'm one of the few people who actually liked Janey's character and enjoyed watching her desperatly claw her way up the social ladder.

ilzabet said:
i usually pick chick lit based on the cover and don't remember the names. :\ but i like meg cabot a lot!

I have done the same thing about the covers, I have now learned never to do that, too many books i didn't enjoy. I also love Meg Cabot's writing.

Attachments

• books2.jpg
    books2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 41
  • books.jpg
    books.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 39
I have a bunch of chick lit also, I used to subscribe to red dress ink :biggrin: Come to think of it, I'm not sure when those books stopped coming. One of my favorite chick lit books is "something borrowed", I'm about to finish "something blue" as well. Those books are just so cute!

I've read most of and have most of the Red Dress Ink books. Now I'm selling on ebay..I've had people watching the auctions but they never buy. They're only $5 apiece..that's way less than the $12.95 I bought them for. Boo.