Books about makeup

Vendrazi

Oct 27, 2008
Does anyone have recommendations for books about makeup (how to achieve different looks, simple step-by-step instructions for how to put on mascara, anything)?

I have Making Faces by Kevyn Aucoin, which is gorgeous and informative and seriously intimidating!

It's funny you should mention this! I just ordered - Get Positively Beautiful: The Ultimate Guide to Looking and Feeling Gorgeous by Carmindy from TLC's What Not To Wear. I've had plenty of practice at applying makeup but any tips and tricks are always useful! Here's part of the synopsis on the book:

In GET POSITIVELY BEAUTIFUL, makeup artist Carmindy from TLC's hit program What Not to Wear shows you how to change your mindset from negative fault-finding to a positive beauty philosophy. You learn how to find and focus on your best features and how to combat negative thoughts about your appearance. Carmindy demonstrates easy makeup techniques for eyes, brows, lashes, lips, cheeks, and skin, and how to adapt looks to different weather conditions and 'beauty moods.'

Don't waste your time or money on Carmindy's Crazy Busy Beautiful book. I borrowed it from the library and she repeats the same things over and over. I don't know about Carmindy's Get Positively Beautiful book that was mentioned earlier because I read the Crazy one first and was definitely not impressed.

I do recommend borrowing books from the library before you purchase if you can. It saves a lot of money if the book turns out disappointing.

I just bought Aucoin's Making Faces. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about makeup and experienced at applying it, but it is still an intimidating book. Lots of great information and tips, though. I had Face Forward in my hand, but didn't buy it.