books about grief

ilzabet

easily amused
Mar 11, 2006
as some have you might have read in the thread i started in the jewelry section, i lost my brother last week. it was sudden and tragic....we were very close and i don't really know how to sort out my feelings yet (not that anyone expects me to or anything).

have any of you read any books on death/loss/grieving that helped you?

i'm going to talk to someone once things settle down a little, but i'm a researcher at heart, i read everything i can get my hands on....i figure that's as good a place to start any.

thanks.

Regardless of your religion, I highly recommend books by Rabbi Harold Kushner, such as When Bad Things Happen to Good People and How Good Do We Have to Be? ... sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss. "On Death and Dying" by Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross describes the different stages of grief. I hope it might help and condolences to your family.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my dad a year ago, and I remember feeling overwhelmed by all the grief books out there. I ended up buying some that were specific to losing a parent, but they would not apply to you. My mom recently read "A Grief Observed" by CS Lewis. He wrote it after losing his wife. I haven't read it yet, but she said it helped. And I've heard that "On Death and Dying" is one of the best general grief books out there.

I'm so sorry about your brother. I can't imagine losing my sister. I realize Hospice wasn't involved, but they might have some recommendations. When my mother died, they gave me a pamphlet, Handbook for the Bereaved, and it was helpful in what to expect the first year after her death. It's very short; sounds like you're looking for books with depth, but this might be helpful. PM me if you would like a copy--I'd be glad to send one to you.

((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))

Sorry for your loss. I don't have a book for you but I am here for you to talk to whenever you feel the need. I wish you brother's soul a swift ascension to heaven. Inevitably, we will all join him one day.:heart:

OMGosh, I am soooo sorry for your loss. Bart recently lost his sister and I see everyday how he struggles to accept that she is gone and how he struggles to go on some days.

I don't have any help regarding a book, but I encourage you to surround yourself with family and people you love and just talk...about anything. Your brother, your family, your sisters baby, shopping, food, whatever!

ah Ilzabet, I am so so sorry for you. As you mentioned, when you are ready you will talk to somebody. I lost my nan on Christmas Eve, but I know that that is a much more expected way to lose somebody, you are not only dealing with grief, but with a profound shock too.

Just talk about him as much as you can, keep his memory alive and dont feel bad about putting this on your friends, this is what they are there for.

I really am so sorry to hear this :sad:

ILizabet, I am very, very sorry for your loss. This probably won't be any help to you at all, but years ago, when I lost my cousin, my parents gave me a book based on the 'Wind in the Willows' stories. It was all about how Badger died, but his friends consoled each other by talking through al lthe things they had done together & looking back at the good times & stuff. it was aimed at children, but sometimes, the simplest things are the best.

I wish you well, & hope you can come to terms with your loss.

:flowers: