Books & Music Books about fashion?

Tahoe10

Apr 7, 2013
Hello! I’m taking a pause from shopping, but not from my love for fashion. Does anyone have any recommendations on books about fashion (especially about the history of designers)? I would love to take this time to learn more about the designers I love (Chanel, LV, Hermès, VCA, etc..) or the fashion industry. Thank you!

baghabitz34

Apr 1, 2018
I just started reading Gods and Kings: The Rise and Fall of Alexander McQueen and John Galliano. It’s about them in particular but also how high fashion changed over the last few decades.

Reactions: cowgirlsboots

cowgirlsboots

Sep 28, 2018

ChanelCanuck

Jan 21, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
I just started reading Gods and Kings: The Rise and Fall of Alexander McQueen and John Galliano. It’s about them in particular but also how high fashion changed over the last few decades.
Another absolutely great book by Dana Thomas. I read and re-read it many times.
I didn't realize it was the same author as Deluxe! I'm enjoying Dana Thomas' style of writing, I'll check it out after.

doni

O.G.
Oct 10, 2007
I´ll have a look for this one! Since watching "L´ Amour Fou" I´m really in love with Yves.
This one is just pictures, focused on his very first years. Good to accompany the documentary.
But I think you in particular would love the 1971 one. This is focused on that year’s collection which was inspired by fashion from the 1940s war years.

cowgirlsboots

Sep 28, 2018
This one is just pictures, focused on his very first years. Good to accompany the documentary.
But I think you in particular would love the 1971 one. This is focused on that year’s collection which was inspired by fashion from the 1940s war years.
Thank-you! This sounds great! I just ordered it from Amazon.
After the documentation and the movie with Pierre Niney I have developped a feeling for Yves Saint Laurent. He certainly was a designer to burn for his art, driven my love and passion, not commerce. Time to find out more about him!

cowgirlsboots

Sep 28, 2018
IMG_4896.JPG

Here´s what I´m reading right now. I got the German edition which was the cheapest, but wished I had gone for the English as the quotes definetely suffer in translation.
Except for this I´m quite happy with the book so far. The illustrations and photos could be in a bit more linear order, but the text is fine and I love that there are photos of his source books!

This one is in the mail and I can´t wait to get it:

Reactions: OneMoreDay

Egel

Mar 9, 2020
If you want a break from just taking in information, Bringing Home The Birkin from Michael Tonello is a great insight of the life of a re seller. It even includes a wild chase and a kidnapped birkin.

Luvbolide

O.G.
Jun 8, 2007
Thank-you! This sounds great! I just ordered it from Amazon.
After the documentation and the movie with Pierre Niney I have developped a feeling for Yves Saint Laurent. He certainly was a designer to burn for his art, driven my love and passion, not commerce. Time to find out more about him!

If you ever get to Paris, the YSL Museum there is well worth a visit!