Book suggestions needed!

LivinLuxuriously

Surprisingly Content
May 14, 2006
I'm looking for good, lesure time, non-school related books. Any suggestions? I'm a big fan of Jennifer Weiner and anything of the sort. I'm looking for something fun, somewhat empowering but not over the top, youthful. Funny but not too goofy like Sophie Kinsella (though I love her, I'm in the mood for something cute but not cutesy - a little deeper perhaps).

Thanks so much!

You'll want Marian Keyes then! Her books are fun but without being fluff; I have a degree in English literature and I love them, although she's only started to get REALLY good in her last few books. My favourite is Sushi for Beginners; you should start with that one, and then get The Other Side of the Story.

I like Marian Keyes too. "Cracks in my foundation" is also a great book.
I highly recommend "Something borrowed" by Emily Giffin. It has depth, is funny, and well written. You end up feeling happy in the end, emotions in place for the characters in the book. Them go on to "Something blue", an even-better part 2.

How about Jackie Collins? I love Chances, which is a little dated since it finishes in the 70's, but it's still a really good read.

Also, The Lovely Bones is a really good read. Although it isn't entirely light-hearted.

Ok, maybe sort of silly, but have you read the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books?? My friends (we're all like 23-25) and some of my older relatives (40+) and I have all read them and like them. I think they count as cute but not cutesy.

How about Jackie Collins? I love Chances, which is a little dated since it finishes in the 70's, but it's still a really good read.

Also, The Lovely Bones is a really good read. Although it isn't entirely light-hearted.

I looked lovely bones up on Amazon after hearing about it on a book list, and it's about a rape and murder? I don't think my mindset is up for that quite just yet :shame:

Ok, maybe sort of silly, but have you read the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books?? My friends (we're all like 23-25) and some of my older relatives (40+) and I have all read them and like them. I think they count as cute but not cutesy.

Blue824 I saw the movie and I loved it - made me cry :sad:

I like Marian Keyes too. "Cracks in my foundation" is also a great book.
I highly recommend "Something borrowed" by Emily Giffin. It has depth, is funny, and well written. You end up feeling happy in the end, emotions in place for the characters in the book. Them go on to "Something blue", an even-better part 2.

I read both emily giffin books on vacation last year - LOVED them both! Never heard of the Marian Keyes book - I'll look into it, thanks :P

For light reading, may I suggest the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich (there are currently thirteen books in the series) or Metro Girl and Motor Mouth also by Janet Evanovich.

Have you read any of the Harry Potter books? Those are also great.