Book suggestions for 1st time expectant mom

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. My friend will be in town at the end of April - she will be about 3.5 mos pregnant by then. I would like to get her a congratulatory card and a book about pregnancy. I was sifting through amazon.com for ideas, and there's just too many! I know that What to Expect When You're Expecting is pretty well known, but the reviews seem mixed. Being that I've never been pregnant, I have no idea which book is better than another. Which book was your go-to-resource for all your questions and concerns during your first pregnancy? When she returns this summer, I hope to help co-host a baby shower for her and give her a book about parenting. Any suggestions for either? Thanks!

2. The "what to expect" books are good. They have one for what to expect the first year or first 3 years I forget and other books too. I liked the "girlfriends guide to pregnancy" that also came with a journal. My SIL gave it to me and it is a more lighthearted approach with good information, makes you not feel like a freak !

3. ^I'd go for Vicki Iovine's book as well.
    I'm assuming that just entering her 2nd trimester she probably has any pregnancy books she wants. KWIM?
    Maybe a What to Expect the 1st Year instead?

4. Well I should also mention that my friend is currently living in S. Korea until June. So I'm not really sure what kind of books she has access to in Seoul.

5. I loved Girlfriend´s guide to pregnancy, funny yet informative:tup:

6. Ditto that was the only pregnancy book I liked & found helpful, I'm not into medical mumbo jumbo. She explains everything in an informative but lighthearted way. Actually my daughter brought it to me this morning & I flipped through it. I kept saying to myself "She was right, yep, yep, lol

7. Not a parenting book but Baby Bargains was invaluable to me.

8. What to Expect when You're Expecting - it was my pregnancy Bible! :tup:

9. ^ me too! I think I read it cover to cover :biggrin:

also, for a light funny read i suggest Jenny McCarthy's Belly Laughs :biggrin:

10. same here. also liked "From the Hips."

11. Excellent, I just ordered that book.

I agree with MAGs, read belly laughs by Jennie Mccarthy when you want to laugh.

12. I ended up with quite a few pregnancy books, including a couple mentioned here.

I got Your Pregnancy Week by Week on the recommendation of a friend. It was really interesting at first, but then I signed up for the Babycenter.com weekly updates and was less into the book, since it was some of the same info. I also thought the book was a little bit simplistic, so if I were doing it again, I'd probably just stick with the Babycenter.com updates.

I also had The Mother of All Pregnancy Books. It has a lot of good information. The one small complaint I have is that I found the organization hard to follow and quickly find the information I was looking for. Thank goodness for the index!!

My favorite was The Pregnancy Bible - it was really informative without being scary. It's the one I would go to the most when I wanted to check something.

13. Hands down... a must... The Pregnancy Book, The Birth Book...by Sears