Books & Music Book reviews - please see post #1 for format - No Chatter Please!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2010
    Is anyone interested in having a book review thread? When browsing the "what are you reading now?" thread I found myself thinking how great it might be to have a thread where we share a review of books we've just read.

This thread will be for book reviews only, meaning no chatter or discussion. That will be deleted. If you ever want to discuss a book, please open a new thread about it. Thank you...jburgh

We have the following format to keep things consistent and easily searchable:

Title/Author:
    Link:
    Genre:
    Rating: (between 1-5 stars):
    Recommend: (yes or no)
    Review: (paragraph on your thoughts)
    Favorite quote/passage:

2. Yes! This would be a great idea. If it gets too large maybe we could split off popular genres or authors.

3. Great! I changed the title so people could see the format.

4. #4 Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
    Title/Author: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
    Link: http://www.amazon.com/Water-Elephants-Novel-Sara-Gruen/dp/1565125606/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1287437609&sr=8-1
    Genre: Fiction
    Rating: 4 stars
    Recommend: yes
    Review: This is a story about a man's life working in a US circus during the Great Depression, partially told in flashbacks. It is very interesting and quite non-fiction like. The characters are developed well. However, if you are squeamish, do not read this. A circus involves some amount of animal cruelty.
    Favorite quote/passage: "Sometimes I think if I had to choose between an ear of corn or making love to a woman, I’d choose the corn." Jacob Jankowski musing about all the mushy, tasteless crap he is given to eat in the nursing home.

5. Great thread.

6. I'm so glad others thought this was a good idea!!

7. could we include in the format a line for genre? Just thought it might be helpful - for example, so small piggies who are afraid of horror in general don't end up reading plot summaries that make them want to hide and/or sleep with the lights on . . . . :shame:

perhaps something like this? (^(oo)^)

Title/Author
    Genre
    Rating (between 1-5 stars)
    Recommend (yes or no)
    Review (paragraph on your thoughts)
    Favorite quote/passag

8. GREAT idea! I def will be contributing! :biggrin:

9. Great idea. I'm going to message jburgh the update format, I also added a "link". Any other ideas or suggestions please let me or jburgh know so she can update post #1, this thread idea is a work in progress!

10. #10 Oct 18, 2010
    Title/Author: Lying: A Metaphorical Memoir by Lauren Slater

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Lying-Metaphorical-Memoir-Lauren-Slater/dp/014200006X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1287418676&sr=8-1

Genre: Literature/Memoir

Rating (between 1-5 stars): 4.5

Recommend: Yes

Review: An amazing book, dream-like and haunting. Definitely one to read with an open mind. Lauren writes her “memoir” about her childhood growing up with epilepsy and having brain surgery. However, she’s also a pathological liar. Or maybe she isn’t. She makes no secret of the fact that her “memoir” may be fiction, may have been her imagination, or most likely a combination of both. She tells her story with metaphors (like the epilepsy) and although some readers might be frustrated, I found this method truly fascinating. Her strained relationship with her mother and her longing for acceptance is relatable. This book is a gem for those who like to live inside their heads and for those who know life is not literal. The lines between reality and fantasy are merged. I loved it.

Favorite quote/passage: “You give up the ground, which you never really had to begin with, and something else takes over”

11. I like it too! Should we keep it to no chatter (just reviews) or chatter/comments?

12. Good question. What do the rest of you think?

Maybe we should keep this thread reviews only so it's easy to browse through. And maybe we should have a second thread for "discussion/chatter for book review thread"? And should these be stickys?

13. I vote for "no chatter" with a separate thread for discussion linked in post #1 (^(oo)^)v

14. #14 Oct 18, 2010
    OK - refined the title to include the final format and the no chatter rule. I also stuck it. I hesitate to start a discussion thread and stick it because the more stickies you have the more bogged down you get in the sticky section. We will have the book club threads and polls in the stickies section, and that means 5 stickies just for that.

If any one wants to discuss a book, it is fine to start a separate thread in the main section. Thank you for contributing to this thread. From now on, no more chat from me, just reviews.:graucho:

15. Title/Author: French Women Don't Get Fat / Mireille Guiliano
    Link: http://www.amazon.com/French-Women-Dont-Get-Fat/dp/1400042127
    Genre: Health / Diet
    Rating: (between 1-5 stars): 4.5 piggy stamps of approval (^(oo)^)
    Recommend: YES!
    Review:
    French women don't get fat . . . and now, neither do piggies, thanks to this awesome book! (^(oo)^)v I didn't discover this book until after I had already reached my goal weight, but I can testify that it has transformed the "maintenance" phase of my weight loss journey. Before I read French Women Don't Get Fat, maintaining my goal weight was a daily internal struggle of willpower, calorie counting, and gym sessions, not to mention lots of processed takeaway food. Now, I generally eat what I want, when I want, and my gym membership has thankfully lapsed (^(oo)^)v Stop wasting time & mental energy battling with your body!
    Favorite quote/passage:
    (on gym workouts) "dressing to break a sweat doesn't go with being French. Partly, it all seems such a great, joyless effort: cutting two hours out of the precious day - the travel, changing, learning to use machines, waiting to use them, showering, drying your hair, and so on. 'And you have to pay for it!'"