Bollywood actor Shahid Kapur in advert that promotes skin 'whitening'

^^ He is a cutie!!
A friend of mine I grew up with now lives in the States. One thing that bothers her is when people keep apologising for slavery. Her great great great grandmother was one and for her, she jut wants to respect the struggle, but not hear about it all the time.

Pres. Bush apologised during his presidency and it just came across (to her) as a ploy.
I think a lot of people really do just want to "make things better". I think a lot of people are just floundering for a solution in the absence of suggestions from those hurting, and that's what Bush was doing. I know there's a sense of frustration among non-African-American communities that many of us are being blamed for something we didn't do, haven't done, attributed thoughts we never thought, and seeing how counterproductive and hurtful this cycle is.

my projection comment, I followed up w/ an explanation.
I feel like I am automatically judged for the wrongs that happened before my generation. I am painfully ashamed of that history.:cry: But I haven't done anything wrong and I don't represent that. I have a colorful group of friends that I cherish a great deal.
:goodpost:

One thing I love about where I work (with teenagers) is that I often see all groups getting along. It's a very diverse city which also has large numbers of different immigrant populations. These kids seem to get along well with one another, are friends, joke around with each other, and appear quite comfortable together. Of course, I do also see similar groups associating with just themselves, but at the same time, I still see them getting along and being friends with everyone else which is a really good step in the right direction.
I think the younger generations, which are far more integrated, will make discussions like ours far more rare in the future. At least I hope so!

Great post!
Exactly. Anderson Cooper copied an experiment from years ago on his show in which young children, black and white, were presented with images of illustrated children who ranged in color from white to caramel to black. Almost all of the children, regardless of race, associated 'ugliness' and 'evilness' with darker complexions, and 'innocence' and 'beauty' with very light complexion. There were two beautiful black girls and an adorable little boy in the special who discussed how race didn't matter at all and your personality is the only thing that counts, but sadly, very few people I've encountered in life actually believe that. We've progressed, but imo, not by much. We perpetuate color issues every single day; I had to stop subscribing to Allure because I got tired of seeing page after page after page of hair/makeup tips solely for white women when it has been shown time and time again that black women consistently spend more than white women on makeup/hair products. It's so frustrating, and one of the reasons why I really only support designers and make up companies who use black women in their advertisements. If my people are not good enough to be featured in your advertisements, you don't deserve my business.

I tend to get offended when people who are not black act as if black people are just playing the race card consistently. We are not living in a post-racial society just because ***** is in office, but if you listen to some of the people I work with, they will argue otherwise. it's so irritating.

As a white girl w/ black friends it feels to me like it's projected sometimes is all.
Like we all get labeled because there's still ignorant folks out there. KWIM?

We all get judged, no one likes it. :sad:

Getting back to topic, I think it's sad that some people aren't comfortable in their own skin and try to physically change it. It makes me sad.

Swanky I get what your saying. :smile:

I'm glad I posted this article and we are all able to dialogue like this.