Body part "improvements"

I understand that there are cases of illness or accidents where plastic surgery is required for reconstruction, but outside of that, I'm not too big of an advocate. Each person has their own uniqueness, so it seems kind of.. well, almost hubristic to try to play god and change that. Those shows about makeovers also really, really egg peopel on to believe that exterior beauty is such an important part of self esteem, quite frankly, if you can't feel good about yourself before going under the knife, you just shouldn't.

Vlad said:
You see, I am definitely not trying to bash on your mom, I am sure she is a fine lady. Yet, why not hit the gym a few times a week, and do those abs? Sure, it takes longer... maybe if you consider the painful recovery time it may even not take that much longer to work your body into a shape that you'd like it to be.

Don't get me wrong, I've made the mistakes to let myself go plenty of times, and (like right now) I've been getting my things straight and worked my ass off to get back into the athletic shape that I was in years ago as a competitive swimmer. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Then again, people are under a lot of stress in our time, they take little time out of the day to take care of their body, they are occupied with things that make their body just suffer over time. And that makes us susceptible to illness. Afterall, we all have only one physical body on this earth (for the time being anyway), why not take care of it ourselves, instead of taking the comfortable way to have someone else take care of it.

And cosmetic procedures to fight aging? Oh don't get me started... :Push:

Oh no, I don't think you were trying to bash anyone who gets cosmetic procedures done. I made fun of her when she told me she was going to get the tummy tuck. She lost 60 pounds about 10 years ago and that area is very hard to firm up for a lot of women, especially after having children. Also, she is partly handicapped (she had a tumor in her spine and had to have an operation) and doesn't have very good balance and coordinaton, so a lot of the ab exercises and other more complicated workout routines she can't do. She lost the weight by walking 6x/week and eating healthy foods. I am glad that she was happy with her results, but no, if I were her I probably would not have made the decision to go under the knife.

I'm an avid exerciser myself, I run 15 mpw, lift weights, etc., and plan on keeping those habits up after having children and later on in life. I try to make taking care of myself a priority for my health, since being overweight, having high blood pressure and diabetes runs in my family.

You're right, plastic surgery can sometimes be an easy way out and is all too common these days. But a lot of people are always looking for the quick and convenient.

That's funny, I was thinking of posting a topic like this!

I just got my hair dyed. I do it every couple of years, just for a change. It's normally brown and gets natural gold highlights in the summer - it's dyed a very brownish-red with a slight hint of purple.

I've tried fake nails - they drive me insane. And I read some beauty site about eyelash extensions - those look like they'd drive me nuts too.

I have a cousin who had a little face lift... she does look great now, but personally, I think I'll just age gracefully.

I guess I'm not against it if it would make a huge, major difference to someone's self-esteem, if it's something like getting a (truly huge) nose reduced or something like that. But I mean, so unproportional that it's virtually disfiguring. Otherwise... we're all unique.

Okay, I think it's time for the old lady on the blog to go at it. Most of you are way under 40 and the idea of plastic surgery is inconceivable - Things change - I don't believe in liposuction, I have a very good figure and have worked hard at keeping it but at a certain age, gravity starts pulling your face south - it's not about crows feet or wrinkles, it's about gravity - at some point, when all else looks good and gravity is ruining it - there is nothing wrong with a lift - I had one some years ago - I will tell you it was not fun but I think I look years younger than I am and it makes me feel able to buy and look great in my clothes - (no, I am not a Joan Rivers look-a-like) my life is fun being a great looking grandmother!!! And I look forward to putting myself together everyday.

Thought about it as well, but I just decided to lose the weight naturally. 40lbs and counting. Wasn't ever beastly or anything, but I want to fit into a Dolce and Gabbana corset DAMN IT! :love:

I think the concept is okay as long as the person understands the risks etc.