Body part "improvements"

Vlad

Founder
Admin
O.G.
Mar 16, 1980
Let's get a healthy discussion going here. As we all know, we don't do faux bags here at the PB - but what about faux body parts?

What's your stand on fake breasts, collagen lips and generally "enhancing" plastic surgery? I used the quotes because personally, I dislike them all. I believe in natural beauty, and unless you suffered from a disfigurement due to an accident or illness, or have serious health issues, I don't think any woman should jump under the surgeon's scalpel. But obviously, there is plenty of women who do get their body parts fixed for the sake of esthetics...

What is your opinion? What is acceptable and what crosses the line?

i could see myself getting laser hair removal and that's about it...i think that mostly, plastic surgery is just the lazy way out. instead of going to the gym or eating right, let's just have them suck the fat out of us! stuff like nose jobs are a little more reasonable...if you're born with a horrible huge nose, i can't blame you for wanting to change it in the only way you can.

but on the whole, thumbs down if it's just for vanity's sake. on the other hand, if you're changing something that significantly mars your natural physical appearance, then i won't judge you though. i had cosmetic braces to make my teeth straight, aftere all.

The thing about nose jobs and such (and I can't say I wouldn't get one if I needed it) is that genetics will prove you out! My husband's cousins (two girls) have the cutest little noses you would ever want to see. Perfection, each of them. They now both have little girls -- RETURN OF THE GENETIC NOSE!

I certainly don't judge folks who've gone there, especially since my brother's a plastic surgeon, but I am so over it, with all the shows on TV about plastic surgery. It's one thing if you have a deformity or have been in an accident but if I see one more 15 year old who wants to look like Carmen Electra! It can be heard to get there, but it is truly liberating when you get to the point when you truly accept your natural self.

What sparked this particular discussion? Personally, no for myself; and it's none of my business what other people do to themselves. I have seen some people get to the point where they can't emote, and that makes me sad.

As an extension to what Vlad said, about people getting work done for other reasons such as disfigurement and/or health issues, what do you all think of the French woman who had a partial face transplant? Just today, there was an article about her and the doctors who performed the transplant signing a movie deal before everything happened, which has raised more ethical uproar over the situation.

I don't quite remember when I watched it, but that VH1 or MTV show about teenagers wanting to look like a super star made me so angry. Who puts s**t like that into their adolescent heads? Morons....

I have wanted a nose job since I was 15. I have a deviated septum and it seems like it's getting worse as I get older. The only thing that's keeping me from getting it done (besides the cost) is the recovery time.
My sis is getting BA soon. I was dead set against it at first. But, she's in her late 30's, has always been flat, and has busted her ass for everyone else her whole life. She is an amazing person and if this makes her happy then I'm behind her 100%.

I think little adjustments here and there are fine. But when people get nuts and come out looking like a completely different person - that's creepy.
As for the face transplant - wow. It seems so sci-fi but I can't imagine how traumatizing it would be to be in her position. I wish her well.

My mom has had a couple of procedures (tummy tuck 5 years ago, and an eyelid lift 6 months ago) and has been very pleased with her results. Her recovery during the tummy tuck was awful, though, I remember having to take time off from work to help her after she was home and in bed for a few weeks.

I have no desire to have cosmetic surgery. I'm happy with what I've been given :biggrin:

Cristina said:
My mom has had a couple of procedures (tummy tuck 5 years ago, and an eyelid lift 6 months ago) and has been very pleased with her results. Her recovery during the tummy tuck was awful, though, I remember having to take time off from work to help her after she was home and in bed for a few weeks.

I have no desire to have cosmetic surgery. I'm happy with what I've been given :biggrin:

You see, I am definitely not trying to bash on your mom, I am sure she is a fine lady. Yet, why not hit the gym a few times a week, and do those abs? Sure, it takes longer... maybe if you consider the painful recovery time it may even not take that much longer to work your body into a shape that you'd like it to be.

Don't get me wrong, I've made the mistakes to let myself go plenty of times, and (like right now) I've been getting my things straight and worked my ass off to get back into the athletic shape that I was in years ago as a competitive swimmer. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Then again, people are under a lot of stress in our time, they take little time out of the day to take care of their body, they are occupied with things that make their body just suffer over time. And that makes us susceptible to illness. Afterall, we all have only one physical body on this earth (for the time being anyway), why not take care of it ourselves, instead of taking the comfortable way to have someone else take care of it.

And cosmetic procedures to fight aging? Oh don't get me started... :Push: