Bobby Bag Questions

Hippolyta

O.G.
Dec 28, 2010
I've been lusting after the large Bobby Bag for months now! The only reason I haven't bought one yet is because I'm concerned the opening will drive me crazy. I'm sure the space is big enough to fit my essentials in and out, but am concerned it will be awkward actually doing so when using the bag day-to-day. Anyone who has this bag, how do yo find the opening? Do you find it challenging to navigate, or that you have to be precious about pulling items out? Do things get caught on that lip when trying to get them out of the bag?

Thanks so much!

I use my large Bobby as my daily run around bag. I do not find it hard at all to access my things inside and use the back pocket for my phone. It has been a great day to day for me and lately my most used. Love the strap and I pretty much crossbody it all the time. I also have 2 mediums that I use for really light days or travel. They can get a bit more tricky if fully packed.

I use my large Bobby as my daily run around bag. I do not find it hard at all to access my things inside and use the back pocket for my phone. It has been a great day to day for me and lately my most used. Love the strap and I pretty much crossbody it all the time. I also have 2 mediums that I use for really light days or travel. They can get a bit more tricky if fully packed.

Thanks so much for sharing this. The Bobby will be my first Dior, and I'd be heartbroken if I ended up not using it because of that lip around the opening.

I was planning to shoulder carry this one but I'm also happy to hear you often wear it crossbody. May I ask how tall you are? I'm 5'7" with boobs :lol: so shorter crossbodies can cut my chest at a funny place and look awkward.

I am only 5”3” also a little chesty haha, so can crossbody easy and shoulder carry no problem. I find it a pretty easy bag to use and hate fussy. The opening on large hasn’t been an issue but could be on smaller sizes if overstuffed. If you have a boutique near try putting some of your things in one to try out, thats how I decided to go with large first. Good luck on your decision!

• Love
Reactions: Hippolyta
I am only 5”3” also a little chesty haha, so can crossbody easy and shoulder carry no problem. I find it a pretty easy bag to use and hate fussy. The opening on large hasn’t been an issue but could be on smaller sizes if overstuffed. If you have a boutique near try putting some of your things in one to try out, thats how I decided to go with large first. Good luck on your decision!

Thanks so much for your thoughtful responses. If I can burden you with one more question...

I'm planning on black, and am leaning towards the grained calfskin because it seems more rugged and durable for every day use. But the box calfskin sings to my heart! It just looks so luxurious and special. What leather(s) do you have and how do you find they wear?

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for your thoughtful responses. If I can burden you with one more question...

I'm planning on black, and am leaning towards the grained calfskin because it seems more rugged and durable for every day use. But the box calfskin sings to my heart! It just looks so luxurious and special. What leather(s) do you have and how do you find they wear?

Thanks again!
I have the grained calfskin black medium Bobby and it’s so versatile and durable! No sign of wear despite wearing it often, and daily on trips in the last 8 months. Highly recommended!

I have the grained black,grained warm taupe, and a canvas navy oblique bobby. Since they are used as daily bags I find the grained more carefree for my use. The Box calfskin is pretty but just know it may be more prone to showing scratches. Some dont mind though and it depends on how you plan to use it.

I have the grained black,grained warm taupe, and a canvas navy oblique bobby. Since they are used as daily bags I find the grained more carefree for my use. The Box calfskin is pretty but just know it may be more prone to showing scratches. Some dont mind though and it depends on how you plan to use it.
Thank you for confirming how carefree the grained leather is. I really think this is what I need to go with so that I can use it as a daily bag.

I was leaning towards black, because I almost always go for black bags. But I now find myself really drawn to the warm taupe. My only concern is whether it's a versatile enough color that would work with my wardrobe. I've been scouring the forum to get a better sense of the color and in some pictures it looks like a light brown, in others it looks like it has a pink or rosy undertone. Do you find it works with a lot of colors? Is it a true neutral?

Thanks so much!

I've been lusting after the large Bobby Bag for months now! The only reason I haven't bought one yet is because I'm concerned the opening will drive me crazy. I'm sure the space is big enough to fit my essentials in and out, but am concerned it will be awkward actually doing so when using the bag day-to-day. Anyone who has this bag, how do yo find the opening? Do you find it challenging to navigate, or that you have to be precious about pulling items out? Do things get caught on that lip when trying to get them out of the bag?

Thanks so much!
Did you end up getting the Dior Bobby and what size and color if so? I'm considering a medium one in box but plan to use it as a travel/daily use. I wanted the caramel color but I think it may be too limiting, and the black allows me the option to use it at night more I feel. I am concerned about the opening too but the large is too big for my frame. I think the medium would be perfect but nee to see what fits inside. I am not a fussy person and I know I'll be upset if I get a bag and then am annoyed with trying to pull things out and place them carefully inside so they fit! Love to know if you got it and what your initial thoughts are on the bag!

Did you end up getting the Dior Bobby and what size and color if so? I'm considering a medium one in box but plan to use it as a travel/daily use. I wanted the caramel color but I think it may be too limiting, and the black allows me the option to use it at night more I feel. I am concerned about the opening too but the large is too big for my frame. I think the medium would be perfect but nee to see what fits inside. I am not a fussy person and I know I'll be upset if I get a bag and then am annoyed with trying to pull things out and place them carefully inside so they fit! Love to know if you got it and what your initial thoughts are on the bag!
I haven't picked one up yet because I'm still agonizing over the color. :lol:

Lol! That sounds like me! What colors are you considering? Also wondering if you’ve considered the Celine box bag? I may go see it- I can’t decide! Also I believe in one of your posts you mentioned planning to use the bag primarily as shoulder bag. I just saw a YouTube where someone showed how to shorten the strap so you have the option to wear shorter shoulder- I liked seeing that bc I like to have options! I just don’t know if I should pull the trigger or consider the Celine. I am in need of a shoulder/cross body bag that can be dressed up or worn casually- ahhh!! I think this fits the bill but I can’t decide! Lol

Lol! That sounds like me! What colors are you considering? Also wondering if you’ve considered the Celine box bag? I may go see it- I can’t decide! Also I believe in one of your posts you mentioned planning to use the bag primarily as shoulder bag. I just saw a YouTube where someone showed how to shorten the strap so you have the option to wear shorter shoulder- I liked seeing that bc I like to have options! I just don’t know if I should pull the trigger or consider the Celine. I am in need of a shoulder/cross body bag that can be dressed up or worn casually- ahhh!! I think this fits the bill but I can’t decide! Lol
I'm torn between black and warm taupe, but in the grained leather. I always get black and have so many black bags, and warm taupe recently caught my eye. It looks like such an interesting neutral, cooler in undertone than most browns. So, I'm trying to decide if it will function as a softer black alternative, and how it will function with my wardrobe.

I love the Celine box bag, but it's a little dressier for an every day bag than I need right now. If I was still working in an office, I'd have one...no question! I love how understated and refined it is. A true classic!

I'm torn between black and warm taupe, but in the grained leather. I always get black and have so many black bags, and warm taupe recently caught my eye. It looks like such an interesting neutral, cooler in undertone than most browns. So, I'm trying to decide if it will function as a softer black alternative, and how it will function with my wardrobe.

I love the Celine box bag, but it's a little dressier for an every day bag than I need right now. If I was still working in an office, I'd have one...no question! I love how understated and refined it is. A true classic!
I too love the warm taupe. I’m now between white and black but will probably go w black bc I don’t already own one I love. I agree that the Celine is a bit dressier for everyday - for that reason I think I’ll stick with my original plan to get the medium Bobby.i do love on the Celine Triomphe box - it has a few compartments and seems to hold a decent amount. I wonder about how heavy it is and if it gets bulky when full. I am going to try and go see both bags today and hopefully get closer to a decision. Thanks for your thoughts!

I too love the warm taupe. I’m now between white and black but will probably go w black bc I don’t already own one I love. I agree that the Celine is a bit dressier for everyday - for that reason I think I’ll stick with my original plan to get the medium Bobby.i do love on the Celine Triomphe box - it has a few compartments and seems to hold a decent amount. I wonder about how heavy it is and if it gets bulky when full. I am going to try and go see both bags today and hopefully get closer to a decision. Thanks for your thoughts!
Did you get to try them both on? What did you decide?

Funny you ask! I did go into the Dior and tried on the medium Bobby. The store had only dark tan (caramel color), black and the latte (white). I impressed with how light the Bobby is and it is so pretty overall. I don't love how the opening is indented vs. just opening to the edges of the bag but because it's a medium size, I think I can get past that. It does require you to finagle things in and around a bit but again not a deal breaker for me. Overall the medium size did feel roomy enough to hold my things on a daily basis. I don't carry too much though (phone, chapstick, lipstick/gloss, small wallet, nail file, color science powder sunscreen (maybe) and airpods mainly. I liked the back pocket on the Bobby b/c it easily can fit your phone leaving more space in the bag for other things and easy access to the phone while out. The part I was struggling with is COLOR! I love the caramel color but I just purchased a Jodi small Bottega V. in the same color and don't really need another caramel at the moment even though they are different bags. While I was gravitating to the black - I fell in love with the latte but I don't think I'd buy that color b/c I worry about color transfer and it yellowing or looking dingy over time. Given how much I like the lighter color, I got curious about seeing the bag in warm tan. I think that could e a perfect color for the purposes of using it as a day to day bag. Sadly they didn't have it at the store. It was probably better though b/c I'm still debating between the Celine Triomphe or Classic and I may have pulled trigger on the warm tan without really thinking it all over.

The same day I went to Dior, I also visited Celine. I saw the Triomphe in black in size medium. I was impressed with how classy it looks and how much it holds! It was also fairly light though not as light as the Bobby. In some ways it was easier to put stuff in and out b/c the bag just opens wide vs. having an indent on the opening like on the Bobby but the Bobby has a much easier clasp (magnetic vs. the Triomphe you have to squeeze it the clasp to open). I hear it's harder to do with longer nails but I didn't have that issue. To your point, the Celine was a bit 'dressier' so I have my reservations about purchasing that bag for a day to day bag. In a perfect world I'd purchase a Celine in black since I need a black bag and I think Celine transitions nicely from day to night in a pinch vs. Bobby. If I had Celine in black, I'd likely get Bobby in warm tan and use daily and/or when I travel since it's so easy and light and also chic!

Long way of saying I'm still torn but making progress?!
I have been considering buying the Bobby (maybe warm tan if I like it in person) and listing my Jodi in Caramel - then eventually buying a Celine box in black. Then the question would be do I get a Medium Triomphe or Medium Classic Box? Also not sure if I need that bag in medium vs. teen size.

I am returning tomorrow to see the Celine classic box and see how that style compares to the Triomphe. I'll also evaluate the teen size vs. medium. I'm leaving for a trip soon and I'd like to purchase one soon to use on the trip since crossbody will be useful. I think I have to consider them two different bags - one is more casual and overall maybe useful (bobby) because it's light and it will go with so many things - dressed up or paired with jeans and a t-shirt. The Celine is more dressy and maybe not as useful for a daily bag for me...but I do love it! AHHH!

Have you seen the warm tan in person?