Blue topaz earrings - yellow gold vs white gold?

Jun 5, 2012
I'm having a tough time deciding between these Kiki McDonough blue topaz earrings. Most of my jewellery is rose gold with the rest split between yellow gold, white gold/platinum. For reference, I'm Asian and quite fair skinned (~NC15, no idea about undertone).

Most blue topaz jewellery I've seen seem to be paired with white metals, but in these photos the yellow gold appears to bring out the blue more so I'm torn.

Which pair would you choose and why?

YxyppdJ.jpg
JH3qHly.jpg

Reactions: Hurrem1001
Beautiful earrings. I’m a yellow gold person - I think it makes the earrings look more luxurious :smile:
My vote is for the YG too. I choose designs based on a variety of criteria such as which metal shows it off more, how I look in the metal/design and general preference.

For point 1, I agree the YG enhances the topaz more. I think the YG will pop nicely against your NC15 skin based on personal experience (without seeing photos).

Thank you both :heart: I'm definitely leaning towards yellow gold after reading what you've said. Will place the order today and hopefully the blue topaz looks as bright in real life as the photos!

Reactions: ShimmerDreamz
Agree wholeheartedly with the other two! I'm asian as well and I've started to wear quite a bit more yellow gold than white (though I do love both), I find that the tones compliment my skin tone more. Yellow does just look more expensive as a whole, and brings a nice bit of warmth to the otherwise cool blue of the topaz.

I love yellow gold, however have always thought that most blue gemstones look better in a white metal setting (sapphire, aquamarine). Topaz is an exception as it is such a vivid shade of blue that I think the yellow gold brings it out more! I love Kiki jewellery - please post a photo of you can once they arrive!

Agree wholeheartedly with the other two! I'm asian as well and I've started to wear quite a bit more yellow gold than white (though I do love both), I find that the tones compliment my skin tone more. Yellow does just look more expensive as a whole, and brings a nice bit of warmth to the otherwise cool blue of the topaz.

I've also started buying more yellow gold pieces in recent years! Rose gold is my favourite by far but the number of yellow gold pieces I own have gradually caught up with white gold and platinum. Ordered the yellow gold pair earlier and they should arrive tomorrow or the day after :biggrin:

I love yellow gold, however have always thought that most blue gemstones look better in a white metal setting (sapphire, aquamarine). Topaz is an exception as it is such a vivid shade of blue that I think the yellow gold brings it out more! I love Kiki jewellery - please post a photo of you can once they arrive!

I will do! I've ordered yellow gold and they should arrive tomorrow or the day after.

I adore gemstones and Kiki makes such gorgeous rings and earrings! This is a dangerously slippery slope as I'm already eyeing up a few more pairs of gemstone drops... Wouldn't mind adding amethyst, lemon quartz, citrine, fire opal and maybe morganite to my jewellery box in the future :angel:

• Love
Reactions: Onebagtoomany
I'm having a tough time deciding between these Kiki McDonough blue topaz earrings. Most of my jewellery is rose gold with the rest split between yellow gold, white gold/platinum. For reference, I'm Asian and quite fair skinned (~NC15, no idea about undertone).

Most blue topaz jewellery I've seen seem to be paired with white metals, but in these photos the yellow gold appears to bring out the blue more so I'm torn.

Which pair would you choose and why?

YxyppdJ.jpg
JH3qHly.jpg

I love the yellow gold. The white gold is lovely, but it does’t bring out the colour of the blue topaz anywhere near as much as yellow gold.

It depends on your skin tone. The fairer-skinned you are then the more a cool tone like White Gold would flatter you. If on the other hand, your skin tone is more neutral than cool-toned, than you can get away with the Yellow Gold without it overpowering you. Either way, I am sure you will rock your choice. Good luck!