Blue Lover, 2008 Electric Blue or 2010 Outremer?

pcah2002

Jun 9, 2012
Hi Ladies,

I'm looking at Bal bags in Electric Blue and Outremer --- both are in the "cobalt blue" family, right? Bal blues (well, Bal colors in general) are hard to photograph and to me sometimes the Outremer appears too dark.

Which would you choose? Is Outremer much darker than Electric Blue? Outremer also appears to be "purplish". Also, I've been reading some threads that say 2008 leather is very good and 2010 leather feels dry and thinner in comparison to leathers from previous years.

I would appreciate any advice. After obsessing over turquoise/teal, I am now on a royal blue streak. :smile:

Thanks in advance!

Hi Ladies,

I'm looking at Bal bags in Electric Blue and Outremer --- both are in the "cobalt blue" family, right? Bal blues (well, Bal colors in general) are hard to photograph and to me sometimes the Outremer appears too dark.

Which would you choose? Is Outremer much darker than Electric Blue? Outremer also appears to be "purplish". Also, I've been reading some threads that say 2008 leather is very good and 2010 leather feels dry and thinner in comparison to leathers from previous years.

I would appreciate any advice. After obsessing over turquoise/teal, I am now on a royal blue streak. :smile:

Thanks in advance!

Outremer has purple undertones, while EB does not. EB is more of a true blue than Outremer.
As far as leather goes, it varies from bag to bag. Some 08 bags have excellent leather, and some do not. Same goes for 2010. I have had plenty of 2010 bags and never had any thin or dry ones.

I don't have outremere but I do have a 2008 Eb day.. The leather is extremely soft and smooshy and I would say it is a true blue! Both colors are gorgeous though!! Hope this helps..

Outremer has purple undertones, while EB does not. EB is more of a true blue than Outremer.
As far as leather goes, it varies from bag to bag. Some 08 bags have excellent leather, and some do not. Same goes for 2010. I have had plenty of 2010 bags and never had any thin or dry ones.

Thank you Susan! I think I'm going to get both. Sounds like they are really different shades of blue. :smile:

I don't have outremere but I do have a 2008 Eb day.. The leather is extremely soft and smooshy and I would say it is a true blue! Both colors are gorgeous though!! Hope this helps..

Thanks missnicoleeee! Electric Blue is really lovely, just getting more and more difficult to find one in great condition. I think I will get both, just don't know which one to get first :smile:. Did too much shopping last year and am still guilty about this. So I promised to pace myself this year. :P

Good choice! I would go for both as well-I have had Outremer and have yet to acquire EB....a fellow blue Bal lover here too :smile:

Hi again Susan,

I'm pretty new to Balenciaga. Just got started around middle of last year. I stayed away from Bals for a long time because of feedback about how easily they scuff or fade, etc. etc. I couldn't appreciate the metal studs for a long time too. But as fate would have it, I got my first Bal last year (couldn't resist this Green Brouges bag at the Barney's website) and an obsessions/addiction was born. Then, I came to embrace ---- love:love::love::love: the G21 hardware --- and with so few of them going around in Like New/Mint condition nowadays, that fuels the obsession even more.

Anyway, blah blah blah... I'm just noticing how Bal leather changes from bag to bag within the same season, and from season to season within a year. My 2012 Lagon is gorgeous but the leather is thinner compared to my 2010 Sorbet. I've noticed a transformation in the distressing too. My Lagon bag is so very saturated and the veins have soaked up the dye. Whereas the Sorbet bag isn't as saturated, may appear "patchy" in comparison (patchy dye) and then I see bags with lots of white veins in them that the bag appears "faded" even if it's a new bag.

I've seen a couple of Electric Blues and some appear to be more distressed that others. A know some like their bags "very distressed" but there is such a thing as "too distressed" for me. A few days ago, I saw a video of an Electric Blue bag on You Tube. The owner filmed herself opening the box that had just arrived and I couldn't believe the amount of distressing on that particular EB bag. It looked like "lightning" streaks. That was just too much "distressing" for me.

So sorry to be so long winded... Now I'm actually wondering about the whole point of my message. :shame: and if you're still reading this, I would like to thank you a lot :flowers: :peace: :urock:

I saw an Outremer a few months back but held back, because the photos showed a lot of "white veins" and the bag looked dry. So thanks for telling me that your 2010 bags have beautiful leather. My sorbet has nice leather, too. There are no Bal stores where I live (South East Asia) and so I rely a lot on pictures. So far I've lucked out on my purchases even if I've bought all my Bals online. But Bal shopping is really not easy at all.

Anyway thanks for your reply and yes, I'm a Blue Lover, too. Bal makes very, very lovely blues --- from deep Altantic/Oceanic Blues to electrifying cobalts, to cheery sky blues to greenish tinged blues that remind you of Maldivian waters. Amazing!

Hi again Susan,

I'm pretty new to Balenciaga. Just got started around middle of last year. I stayed away from Bals for a long time because of feedback about how easily they scuff or fade, etc. etc. I couldn't appreciate the metal studs for a long time too. But as fate would have it, I got my first Bal last year (couldn't resist this Green Brouges bag at the Barney's website) and an obsessions/addiction was born. Then, I came to embrace ---- love:love::love::love: the G21 hardware --- and with so few of them going around in Like New/Mint condition nowadays, that fuels the obsession even more.

Anyway, blah blah blah... I'm just noticing how Bal leather changes from bag to bag within the same season, and from season to season within a year. My 2012 Lagon is gorgeous but the leather is thinner compared to my 2010 Sorbet. I've noticed a transformation in the distressing too. My Lagon bag is so very saturated and the veins have soaked up the dye. Whereas the Sorbet bag isn't as saturated, may appear "patchy" in comparison (patchy dye) and then I see bags with lots of white veins in them that the bag appears "faded" even if it's a new bag.

I've seen a couple of Electric Blues and some appear to be more distressed that others. A know some like their bags "very distressed" but there is such a thing as "too distressed" for me. A few days ago, I saw a video of an Electric Blue bag on You Tube. The owner filmed herself opening the box that had just arrived and I couldn't believe the amount of distressing on that particular EB bag. It looked like "lightning" streaks. That was just too much "distressing" for me.

So sorry to be so long winded... Now I'm actually wondering about the whole point of my message. :shame: and if you're still reading this, I would like to thank you a lot :flowers: :peace: :urock:

I saw an Outremer a few months back but held back, because the photos showed a lot of "white veins" and the bag looked dry. So thanks for telling me that your 2010 bags have beautiful leather. My sorbet has nice leather, too. There are no Bal stores where I live (South East Asia) and so I rely a lot on pictures. So far I've lucked out on my purchases even if I've bought all my Bals online. But Bal shopping is really not easy at all.

Anyway thanks for your reply and yes, I'm a Blue Lover, too. Bal makes very, very lovely blues --- from deep Altantic/Oceanic Blues to electrifying cobalts, to cheery sky blues to greenish tinged blues that remind you of Maldivian waters. Amazing!

Anytime-glad to be of help!
And the white "lightning" you speak of is called Veins. Different than distressing-some distressed bags have veins, and some do not, same goes for smooth bags. Again, it depends on the individual bag and not so much on the color.
Love the GH 21 bags-good luck on your search!

Susan

Hi have both EB and Outremer. Outremer has purple undertones and is "brighter." EB is a truer blue. HOWEVER, over time, I've noticed that my EB has faded and revealed green undertones. The colors are very close to each other though (at the time that Outremer came out, people mistook my EB for Outremer) and I recall that it was hard to take a picture comparing the two colors.

In terms of preference, I prefer my Outremer, in terms of color. But in terms of leather, my EB has amazing leather.

Hope that helps!

hi have both eb and outremer. Outremer has purple undertones and is "brighter." eb is a truer blue. however, over time, i've noticed that my eb has faded and revealed green undertones. The colors are very close to each other though (at the time that outremer came out, people mistook my eb for outremer) and i recall that it was hard to take a picture comparing the two colors.

In terms of preference, i prefer my outremer, in terms of color. But in terms of leather, my eb has amazing leather.

Hope that helps!

+1

Thank you everyone for your sharing your opinions.

I've decided to get both. I'm very sold on the Electric Blue. It's a Brief bag with Silver G21 hardware and is 99% new. The Outremer is in pretty good used condition --- not nearly as mint as the EB, but I guess it's okay (though I would prefer a newer bag). My problem with the Outremer is, the hardware is Regular. I don't find RH that attractive, in fact I'm still getting used to my Lagon City with mRGGH, because of the smaller hardware :sad:. I love the color and leather of the Lagon, thinner than my other bals, but for me the leather is beautiful. But the G12 doesn't quite "cut it for me"....

So I'm agonizing whether to get this Outremer or not since I have to say it's a rare color and when it shows up, it's no longer in very good condition.

To those who have seen the Outremer with RH in real life, does the RH render the bag darker? Or the RH goes pretty well with the bag. Would love to hear about your opinions ladies.

Anytime-glad to be of help!
And the white "lightning" you speak of is called Veins. Different than distressing-some distressed bags have veins, and some do not, same goes for smooth bags. Again, it depends on the individual bag and not so much on the color.
Love the GH 21 bags-good luck on your search!

Susan

Hi Susan,

Looks like I have my terminologies wrong :sad:. I thought the distressing and the veins were one and the same. Hahaha... I mean when you say "distressed" jeans, it points to the white streaks on the jeans, so I thought the same applies to Bal bags. Haha...

So which would be the distressing? Would the veins be the "natural" lines in the bag --- or are those veins even natural? Befuddled right now ;)

Hi Susan,

Looks like I have my terminologies wrong :sad:. I thought the distressing and the veins were one and the same. Hahaha... I mean when you say "distressed" jeans, it points to the white streaks on the jeans, so I thought the same applies to Bal bags. Haha...

So which would be the distressing? Would the veins be the "natural" lines in the bag --- or are those veins even natural? Befuddled right now ;)

Check out this thread-lots of photos and descriptions of veins and distressing :biggrin:

http://forum.purseblog.com/balencia...fused-wrinkles-crinkles-and-veins-132943.html

Check out this thread-lots of photos and descriptions of veins and distressing :biggrin:

http://forum.purseblog.com/balencia...fused-wrinkles-crinkles-and-veins-132943.html

Susan, I went through the thread and got even more confused :biggrin:. Hahaha. A lot of the reference pics have been taken down too. One of the authenticators, cbarrus thinks than veiny=distressed too. At some point I thought I was getting it when a bag I thought was "distressed" was described by someone as veiny. Egad!!! Hmmmm... I don't think I'll get the terms straight until I buy enough balenciaga bags to reach 'critical mass' and see the difference in the various leathers. So there... I've made up a reason to do more shopping. :graucho: