Bloomingdales Texas tax

pearbeary18

Jul 7, 2008
Hi! I'm looking to buy my first Chanel bag and am so excited! I really want a GST with gold hardware.

My question is for those savvy with tax questions. I live in Texas, which has no physical Bloomingdales. However, I will be in Florida for vacation and so I was wondering if I bought a bag there in-person, would I still pay FL (or TX) tax on it? Or, is there a way around it?

I've already read I could get it tax-free if I do a phone order, but I would like to open a credit account and actually see the bag in-person. Thanks!:smile:

There's no bloomies in Texas at all? You can avoid tax is if you ship the bag (that you've purchased in FL) to your home in Texas, but you may be charged for shipping. A lot of people here in NYC, ship to friends who reside in NJ (no tax on shoes in that state). Also if the retailer doesn't have a physical location in Texas, like in your case?, then you avoid paying tax.

Also I've been discovering that if you do a charge send and ship the item as a gift to a friend, you avoid tax? It's happened twice where I've called a store in another state and had something shipped to a different address from my billing (same city/state as my own), and haven't paid tax. I don't really understand this tax-free concept though.

Thanks for the replies! I didn't know we had Bloomingdales outlets! I guess they don't count towards the tax rule since they're not regular stores bc I've ordered stuff online without tax.

My best suggestion is to go look at it in person, open up a Saks cc and get the 10% off, and then have the SA send it as a gift (another address that isn't your billing) to get the best price possible.

Good Luck!:P

I'm from Texas and I bought a chanel bag from Bloomingdales In NY last summer. I also opened an account and received a discount. I think it's supposed to be 10% but there is a maximum amount on the discount. I had it shipped to my house and did not have to pay the taxes. But I did pay for shipping.

Hello... To answer your question. If you'd like to avoid paying tax at Bloomingdales as there is no physical store.. Pay in store and send to your home address. Make sure to tell the you are a loyalist member to avoid shipping fees. Give them your email to receive tracking number, otherwise it is on your receipt. If you open a credit card with them I think the max discount you can get is $250.
But I thought only 3 bloomies location carry Chanel handbags.. NYC, Boston and Costa Mesa?

Hello... To answer your question. If you'd like to avoid paying tax at Bloomingdales as there is no physical store.. Pay in store and send to your home address. Make sure to tell the you are a loyalist member to avoid shipping fees. Give them your email to receive tracking number, otherwise it is on your receipt. If you open a credit card with them I think the max discount you can get is $250.
But I thought only 3 bloomies location carry Chanel handbags.. NYC, Boston and Costa Mesa?
Oh I didn't know only those stores carried Chanel. I'll look more into it then. Thanks for letting me know. And maybe it might be better to go with Saks since I'll get the full 10% off, but I usually shop at Bloomies online.

There are no Bloomingdale's in FL that carry Chanel. The one in Aventura does carry LV and Dior and if you open an account you will get the 10 percent discount.

I'm from Texas and I bought a chanel bag from Bloomingdales In NY last summer. I also opened an account and received a discount. I think it's supposed to be 10% but there is a maximum amount on the discount. I had it shipped to my house and did not have to pay the taxes. But I did pay for shipping.
Can you let me know who was your SA? When I called Bloomingdales in NY they told me that they will not give any discounts for opening an account. Can somebody also give me SA who will do gift send for a friend. Thank you.

Can you let me know who was your SA? When I called Bloomingdales in NY they told me that they will not give any discounts for opening an account. Can somebody also give me SA who will do gift send for a friend. Thank you.

Pm me for a SA. They should always give you 10% to 15% and sometimes even 20% off when you open a CC with them on promotion days; however, the max discount is only $250 I believe... But you want to buy ur bag on triple points day so you will get 9 pts for every dollar spent on a Bloomingdales CC then every 5000 you spend you will get $250 gift cArd about.
Bloomies don't do gift send. My saks SA does it for me n my NM gift send doesn't work in California for some reason... I have to gift send it out of state.