Blood disorder while pregnant?

Jeannam2008

Fashionably me :)
Jul 10, 2009
East Coaster
Anyone else out there have a blood disorder while pregnant?

I'm not pregnant yet, but I've had a rare blood disorder called ITP (Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura) since I was 16 (I'm 24 now) The condition means my blood platelets have a tendency to drop really low. They should be in the 100,000-500,00 and the lowest they've gotten is 2,000 where I was hospitalized, monitored, and hooked up to IV and given a medication called winro.

I had a GYNO appt last Thursday for my yearly checkup and we discussed my husband and I trying for a baby at the end of 2014 beginning of 2015. She said my bleeding disorder could potentially make it difficult for us to conceive and when I do get pregnant I will have to go in for treatments where they monitor my platelets.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever been in a similar situation? She told me to start on Folic Acids now which I will be starting today.

AECornell

Mrs. Lawson <3
O.G.
Jul 21, 2008
Brooklyn
Actual the lowest "safe" level is 150k. In pregnancy, there's a percentage of women who get this, where there is no underlying cause other than pregnancy itself. This happened to me.

I got my count back and it was 120k. In pregnancy, anything under 100k means no epidural due to the risk of bleeding. I got the count rechecked and it went back up, but I will be checked again before I go into labor. My dr told me the treatment would be steroids since my count wasn't too bad.

From what I gather, you'd have to get a platelet transfusion if it gets extremely low. So basically, no epidura and the safest way to deliver would be vaginally. C-sections cause you to bleed more, so it's not safe for women with low platelets. I don't really think it should effect your ability to conceive.

Jeannam2008

Fashionably me :)
Jul 10, 2009
East Coaster
Oh my I forgot about an epidural :/ if we're anything like we were when we were babies (8-9lb) I'd hate to have to give birth naturally to an 8lb baby yikes!

AECornell

Mrs. Lawson <3
O.G.
Jul 21, 2008
Brooklyn
Lol it's my plan! I have an ultrasound on Friday so I get to see his estimated weight. I'm guessing at term he's going to be like 8.5lbs. I really want to try and do it naturally... we'll see what happens!

anglarry04

O.G.
Mar 18, 2008
I have the same blood disorder. We found out about it after our 2nd child in 09. It did take us longer to conceive.
Now that i am preg with #3 i have to really watch my energy levels. My dr takes my blood every appt to see where my levels are. They also told me with the disorder its a high chance i will need a transfusion at labor. I hope not!
Both my boys were natural childbirths.

ophousewife

May 23, 2012
Near Chicago
Having an 8 lb baby with no epidural or meds is totally doable; I did it. And I apparently had a blood disorder where I'm prone to clots. I had a pulmonary embolism after I had my dd. Yes, it was scary as my Dr told me it was life threatening, but I'm totally fine now. Believe me when I say that some things are scary and sometimes you have to do things that are little different than the average pregnancy but with the right doctors you'll find a way through. :smile:

AECornell

Mrs. Lawson <3
O.G.
Jul 21, 2008
Brooklyn
I'm actually more scared of getting a blood clot or bleeding way too much than pushing an 8lb baby out. How did they find your embolism? I'm afraid pushing and pushing will cause me to have a clot or something.

Having an 8 lb baby with no epidural or meds is totally doable; I did it. And I apparently had a blood disorder where I'm prone to clots. I had a pulmonary embolism after I had my dd. Yes, it was scary as my Dr told me it was life threatening, but I'm totally fine now. Believe me when I say that some things are scary and sometimes you have to do things that are little different than the average pregnancy but with the right doctors you'll find a way through. :smile:

ophousewife

May 23, 2012
Near Chicago
I'm actually more scared of getting a blood clot or bleeding way too much than pushing an 8lb baby out. How did they find your embolism? I'm afraid pushing and pushing will cause me to have a clot or something.
I had 1 "good sized clot" according to my Dr. The PE wasn't related to pushing because I was only pushing for 30 minutes before dd made her appearance. My Dr. has told me that my PE was related to a dual mutation in my blood that causes my blood to run thick. Because of the pressure of baby on my blood vessels, my blood collected and made a clot. I also have MS, pernicious anemia and Gastroparesis which may contribute to everything I went through. I had major chest pain and they did a CAT scan to see what was the cause. That's how they found the PE. Just be aware of what you feel and if something doesn't seem right, go to the Dr.

AECornell

Mrs. Lawson <3
O.G.
Jul 21, 2008
Brooklyn
I'm so sorry you have to deal with all of those things. Glad you and your drs were smart and caught what they needed to.

I had 1 "good sized clot" according to my Dr. The PE wasn't related to pushing because I was only pushing for 30 minutes before dd made her appearance. My Dr. has told me that my PE was related to a dual mutation in my blood that causes my blood to run thick. Because of the pressure of baby on my blood vessels, my blood collected and made a clot. I also have MS, pernicious anemia and Gastroparesis which may contribute to everything I went through. I had major chest pain and they did a CAT scan to see what was the cause. That's how they found the PE. Just be aware of what you feel and if something doesn't seem right, go to the Dr.

AnimalCrackers

Fresh ta Def
Feb 28, 2007
Not a blood disorder, but I have severe Raynauds. Causes poor circulation to my extremities, which oddly includes my uterus. It would create clots in my amniotic fluid, and my dr thinks thats why we lost our first two babies. With my daughter and this current pregnancy, I had to take baby aspirin every day, and get frequent ultrasounds to check for clots/delays in development/etc.

AECornell

Mrs. Lawson <3
O.G.
Jul 21, 2008
Brooklyn
So far my levels have been 120, 142, 138, and now waiting on my results from yesterday. I asked my OB if I should just get the steroid shot, and she said no only if it's absolutely necessary. She said no need to put anything in my body that I don't need and the baby doesn't need. Hopefully they haven't gone down again but there's not much I can do about it.

I'm not planning on an epidural but I'd like my numbers to stay above 100 so that I can get one just in case I end up wanting it.

absolutpiink

Dec 12, 2008
California
I developed a small blood clot in my leg late in my pregnancy, I was on lovenox for the remainder of the pregnancy and 6 weeks pp, I had get blood drawn regularly to check my platelets, to make sure they were over 100. I stopped taking the lovenox 24 hrs before I was scheduled to be induced. I had an epidural and delivered vaginally and everything went fine.

AECornell

Mrs. Lawson <3
O.G.
Jul 21, 2008
Brooklyn
Yay, my levels dropped again. They're 115 now. Getting close to the no epi zone. Have to get them rechecked on Weds and they take two days to get back to me, which puts that past my due date. I read that eating a lot of dark greens and veggies will help boost them, so I'm going to drink a lot of green smoothies in hopes my numbers will go up.

I asked about the steroid shot and she said no, not unless they get too low. I'd rather just get it but she doesn't want me to have anything I or the baby don't need. When I go in to get checked I'm going to ask about induction because I really don't want my numbers to be too low. Plus at this point it doesn't really matter if I'm induced because I'm term.