Blocked buyer got her boyfriend to buy and now claims its fake

I'm having a very unpleasant experience with an aggressive buyer on eBay. I blocked her because from the outset she sent me messages in capitals asking me to confirm that my bag was genuine. I don't know what people expect you to say in response to messages like that - "no it's a fake" somehow doesn't seem to cut it??? Anyway usually I just reply politely but her tone was very aggressive and the number of messages together with the use of capital letters just gave me a really bad vibe. So I blocked her and politely informed her that I prefer to sell to buyers confident about the authenticity of what they're buying. I was very polite. Cue a stream of further emails, I replied once and then was thinking what to do when the bag sold. Immediate payment, by a man. Of course I think uh oh boyfriend, but he's in a different town and he's paid in full so I send it. I hear nothing for 2 weeks, until yesterday I get a return request (my first ever) from the guy saying his girlfriend says its fake. Very upset, but I accept the return because I just want my bag back.
Anyway (and sorry for the long ramble, but it helps to get it off my chest) he has an unusual name, so today I google him, its easy to find him and his girlfriend who it turns out also has an unusual name. You guessed it, same christian name as the aggressive would-be buyer and the initials of her surnames are incorporated her ebay username. So clearly she got him to buy it for her, and the return is an act of spite. Is there anything I can do? Can I report them to eBay?

I'm sorry this happened to you. You can report to eBay however they won't do anything unless this buyer is a repeated offender.

I sold a bag to a girl on eBay once, I took all sorts of pictures to show the condition of the bag. She took ages to pay, when she eventually paid and got the bag she claimed it was not as described.
She claimed it was scuffed up and was obviously used. Long story short she put a claim through eBay, I granted the refund because I cannot let a liar keep my precious bag. I reported her to eBay and their advice was report her and if they find that she is a repeated offender who suffers from buyers remorse they will block her from eBay.

Hope this help.

I think you can report them because you're not supposed to find ways to get around a blocked account. The terms state that if you're blocked you can't just set up a new account or get someone else to buy it. But I'm not sure once the item has been sent what the situation is. Sadly I find eBay really isn't there for sellers. It's worth contacting them and letting them know the issues and see if they are willing to help at all.

I think you can report them because you're not supposed to find ways to get around a blocked account. The terms state that if you're blocked you can't just set up a new account or get someone else to buy it. But I'm not sure once the item has been sent what the situation is. Sadly I find eBay really isn't there for sellers. It's worth contacting them and letting them know the issues and see if they are willing to help at all.
Thank you, this is a helpful reminder, I've read the policies and they're definitely in breach. The info linking them is easily found on the net (it only took me 10 minutes) and registered at companies house also, and all the emails from them together with my replies are on eBay. I'll think about what to do. For now he's supposed to be returning my bag - I purchased a new posting box and bubble wrap to send it in, I'll take photos of the condition when it comes back.
In a way though I feel better. I was really upset when I thought my integrity was being questioned, but now I know whats going on I know I'm just dealing with unpleasant people.

Thank you, this is a helpful reminder, I've read the policies and they're definitely in breach. The info linking them is easily found on the net (it only took me 10 minutes) and registered at companies house also, and all the emails from them together with my replies are on eBay. I'll think about what to do. For now he's supposed to be returning my bag - I purchased a new posting box and bubble wrap to send it in, I'll take photos of the condition when it comes back.
In a way though I feel better. I was really upset when I thought my integrity was being questioned, but now I know whats going on I know I'm just dealing with unpleasant people.

From the tracking info he has now sent me its being returned from his girlfriends address #lowlife
This was an irrefutable policy violation.

Here's the policy link: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/unwelcome-buying.html

What are the guidelines?
iconNotAllowed_25x25.gif

Not allowed
You can't buy with the intent to disrupt a listing.

Here are some examples:
  • You can't place a bid that greatly exceeds the value of the item in order to prevent a sale without intending to buy that item.
  • You can't bid on multiple items listed by a seller unless you intend to buy all of the items.
  • You can't try to buy or bid on an item if you're on a seller's blocked bidder or buyer list.
  • You can't use another account to buy or bid on an item if you're on a seller's blocked bidder or buyer list.
As a seller, you can report a buyer who bids on a listing without meeting the listing terms.

I've boldfaced the report section ^^^ but recommend you ALSO call to describe the evidence proving the violation.

(The situation described by skyeskye is completely different and in that case, there was no violation, thus no action taken by ebay. She willingly sold to the buyer and later found the buyer to be a PITA but that's not a violation of anything. However, if skyeskye now blocks that buyer and and tries to purchase in the future, THEN there will be a violation.)

Last edited:
This was an irrefutable policy violation.

Here's the policy link: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/unwelcome-buying.html

What are the guidelines?
iconNotAllowed_25x25.gif

Not allowed
You can't buy with the intent to disrupt a listing.

Here are some examples:
  • You can't place a bid that greatly exceeds the value of the item in order to prevent a sale without intending to buy that item.
  • You can't bid on multiple items listed by a seller unless you intend to buy all of the items.
  • You can't try to buy or bid on an item if you're on a seller's blocked bidder or buyer list.
  • You can't use another account to buy or bid on an item if you're on a seller's blocked bidder or buyer list.
As a seller, you can report a buyer who bids on a listing without meeting the listing terms.

I've boldfaced the report section ^^^ but recommend you call to describe the evidence proving the violation.

(The situation described by skyeskye is completely different and in that case, there was no violation, thus no action taken by ebay. She willingly sold to the buyer and later found the buyer to be a PITA but that's not a violation of anything. However, if skyeskye now blocks that buyer and and tries to purchase in the future, THEN there will be a violation.)

Thanks BB. He doesn't know that I know they're connected, and asked me to include his return postage in the refund, I'm SO tempted to send a sarcastic reply but I suppose I should wait to see what state it's in? I phoned ebay and they told me to call back after I'd checked the parcel.

Sorry to hear that happened to you, what a petty person. I've been asked about authenticity in person with craigslist dealings and I'm like "Why would you put down this much money on something that you're not able to decide is real or not in person?" :doh:

Seems like the buyer was planning all along on playing the authenticity card, just to get an all-expense-paid "test drive" of the bag. #lowlife is right!

Sorry to hear that happened to you, what a petty person. I've been asked about authenticity in person with craigslist dealings and I'm like "Why would you put down this much money on something that you're not able to decide is real or not in person?" :doh:
Exactly! - that's why I blocked her in the first place :yucky: I hate selling to people who have no idea what they're buying

Seems like the buyer was planning all along on playing the authenticity card, just to get an all-expense-paid "test drive" of the bag. #lowlife is right!
I think it was pure spite - she was really p****d at not being able to bid, her messages shocked me. I just wish I'd looked into him a bit more and cancelled the sale, but I err on the side of trusting people

Btw, I just had a closer look at your avatar :lol: brilliant - that'll cheer up any jaded eBayer ;)

Reactions: Kidclarke
I'm having a very unpleasant experience with an aggressive buyer on eBay. I blocked her because from the outset she sent me messages in capitals asking me to confirm that my bag was genuine. I don't know what people expect you to say in response to messages like that - "no it's a fake" somehow doesn't seem to cut it??? Anyway usually I just reply politely but her tone was very aggressive and the number of messages together with the use of capital letters just gave me a really bad vibe. So I blocked her and politely informed her that I prefer to sell to buyers confident about the authenticity of what they're buying. I was very polite. Cue a stream of further emails, I replied once and then was thinking what to do when the bag sold. Immediate payment, by a man. Of course I think uh oh boyfriend, but he's in a different town and he's paid in full so I send it. I hear nothing for 2 weeks, until yesterday I get a return request (my first ever) from the guy saying his girlfriend says its fake. Very upset, but I accept the return because I just want my bag back.
Anyway (and sorry for the long ramble, but it helps to get it off my chest) he has an unusual name, so today I google him, its easy to find him and his girlfriend who it turns out also has an unusual name. You guessed it, same christian name as the aggressive would-be buyer and the initials of her surnames are incorporated her ebay username. So clearly she got him to buy it for her, and the return is an act of spite. Is there anything I can do? Can I report them to eBay?

that's terrible, these questions also scary me:sad: hope she will return the bag safe and sound:sad:. can you give their names on ebay so we could block them just in case? or send me pm if you don't feel comfortable to make it public. thank you so much in advance and fingers crossed