Blitz lost 12 lbs.!!!

miu2

Chewy Redlands CA Police K-9
O.G.
Jun 27, 2007
Just wanted everyone to know how very proud I am of my Rottie, Blitz!!

2 months ago he weighed in at 146. He is a big boy to begin with, is 8 years old and has arthritis. His age and arthritis made it hard for him to get much exercise, so I looked for advice on a Rottweiler discussion board. They suggested that I cut his food down to only 1 cup of dry food in the am and 1 cup of dry in the pm with (now get this....) green beans!!! Evidently the green beans provide substance so he feels full, without the calories. Our vet confirmed that it was a healthy alternative, so we put him on the diet. We have a decent sized jacuzzi in the bag yard and Blitz and Betty (our other rottie) LOVE to get splashed and fall in to the water. So at least 4 times a week DH and I take them swimming for a couple of hours.

After the first 30 days, Blitz lost 7 lbs (139 lbs). After the next 30 days, DH took him in for his second weigh-in and he lost another 5 lbs. (134 lbs)! I AM SO PROUD OF HIM!!!

He is so much more energetic and looks wonderful. You can tell that he just feels so much better without all that weight. He still has another 14 lbs to lose, but at this rate, he should be at his ideal weight in no time!!

Here is the love of my life................Blitz (this is when he weighed 146 lbs)

YAAAYYY for GREEN BEANS!!!!

:yahoo:

Last edited:
What a sweet boy! Way to go Blitz. When I had to put my dog on a diet I did add green beans to her food and she LOVED them. I also gave her a raw carrot as a treat instead of a dog biscuit. After a few weeks she would choose the carrot over the cookie every time. Keep it up Blitz. Great job mom.

wow, that is fantastic!! Congrats! It is very difficult to help a pet lose weight--I'm trying to help my cat, Abby, lose a bit and it seems like every time I turn around she has found another cat's food (or even dog food!). I want to see an after picture--good job Blitz!! he is so cute :smile: and must be so proud of himself!

I did the same thing with my two dogs. Except we used peas instead of green beans and no wet food. It was quite an accomplishment--one which the vet said would be hard to do but we were very strict and didn't give in to treats no matter how much begging was going on.

Congratulations to Blitz! He will be much healthier with less issues as the years go on.

Yay! So proud of Blitz. And miu2, koodos to you and your DH for making Blitz stick to the diet! How did you prepare the green beans? Did you just steam them and then mix with the dry food?