Blinded by the plastic :0

starr4

O.G.
Jan 2, 2009
Ever since I started my Coach obsession I can't help to totally check out other women's handbags..it's become such a habit now...especially since I can point out the fakes :graucho: thanks gals!!! Anyways, I took my two little guys to the Dr.'s and I'm sitting in the waiting area and I was trying not to be to obvious as I'm checking out the other women's handbags..bad ,bad me :P and about 3 women had the most horrendous plastic fake patent leather handbags I have ever seen in my life!!! I'm not a snob or anything and I don't look down on anyone who doesn't own a designer bag.. gosh, before I could afford a Coach, my other handbag choices I feel where never ever that bad. It almost wanted to make me cry and try to convert them to outlet shopping!!! It just bugs me because I'm sure they still paid well over $30 or $40 dollars and we all know you can get a nice bag for a few dollars more at the outlets. Even pretty handbags in Target or Kohls are not dirt cheap!!! Oh well...... I guess I just want every women to experience the beauty of a Coach handbag :shrugs:

It is really sad, the price some women pay for fakes. I can almost guarantee that the women you saw with the fakes, probably paid AT LEAST $60 to $70 for them unless they got them directly from a supplier in China but, even then, the shipping from China is outrageous and they usually only sell in Bulk.
You will see all those fakes on ioffer for like $25 to $30 but, if you look at how much they are charging for shipping, it is usually $25 to $30 more for shipping.

For me, it's not even Coach fakes, but just lesser quality purses in general. I was at the mall last night and saw a purse in a shoe store that I thought was just adorable. So I pulled it off the shelf to look at it, and the fake patent was eewwww, and it didn't sit right on the shoulder, kept sliding off, and it just felt icky. It did look nice from a distance, but when you put it on and examine it, it was just so blah. And it was $70, so not exactly super cheap like a Walmart purse or something.

The other one for me is Kathy Van Zeeland. I had actually bought one of these and returned it and then bought my first Coach purses right afterward. KVZ can kind of look nice from a distance (SOME of the less blinged out ones), but up close can be garish. But it did sit well on the shoulder, I will give it that.

But now that I've found Coach, I can't imagine going back.

This reminds me of a "discussion" I had with my MIL a few weeks ago. I showed her my pink patent Leah, seen here:
2hhhxle.jpg

and I mentioned how I love REAL patent leather and how wonderful it smells. She proceeds to tell me that "patent leather is plastic, NOT LEATHER" :weird: and I tried to explain to her that real patent leather is so uncommon nowadays that plastic imitation Patent Leather is seen much more often but she was having none of it.
I finally had to WIKIPEDIA it to prove it to her. :faint:

Hi,
I love Coach but have you checked out the price of some of the "plastic bags". Maxx handbags run about $200 + and are made of PVC. No Thanks!!! B.Makowsky bags are around the same price of Coach but uglier! Purses are expensive and I agree with you, get a better quality handbag for the price!!

Lynne:biggrin:

i don't judge other's purses... whether they are plastic or leather from target, walmart, khols or the thrift store.... i'm not a snob.....

this reminds me of a thread at the other purse forum where the snobs were bashing people who didn't carry name brand (i don't consider coach designer... it's way too common) purses....

i also don't judge them on the clothes or shoes they wear.... but that's me.....

ITA with the OP. It is a shame that some pay so much for an over priced and low quality trendy bag. I've seen in Target and JCP really cute bags but when you look at them up close they are not worth it...maybe when they get down to $9.99. I would in no way describe my self as a snob but a savy shopper. I do think you can get away being a bit cheaper with the clothes, like Old Navy etc...but you need to have nice shoes and a nice handbag. If that makes sense???

I agree - I don't judge, either (well, I do get irritated at fools that buy fake Coach bags and stuff at purse parties - especially when they know that it's illegal). For years, I didn't have the money to buy anything other than a Rosetti on clearance at JCPenney. The only reason I've gone nuts and indulged my Coach love right now, is because of the enlistment bonus I just got. The military is the only way I justify luxuries to myself - Coach bags with my re-enlistment bonus, a Mustang convertible (a classic one, not new, but in mint condition) with my deployment pay. :smile:

In fact, this thread reminds me that I have a bunch of nice, barely used Nine West bags to donate to my local DAV thrift store. Of course they aren't Burberry bags or anything, but I'm sure someone will appreciate getting decent purses for a couple bucks at the thrift store, and the proceeds help disabled vets. And my closet gets emptier which makes my DH happy. (Well, until my next shipment of crack, I mean, Coach bags comes in, hehehe). SO, everyone wins! :smile:

Well, not everyone likes Coach or designer bags. My best friend hates purses. Yep, she hates them. But I love her nonetheless.

And I personally like B Mak bags. So really everyone has different tastes. And many people just don't have the obsession with purses that we have. What the OP was describing wasn't fakes. I can't deal with people who pay high amounts of money for fakes when they could go to the outlet and get the real thing for about the same price. What the OP was talking about was people that buy bags that aren't real leather or whatever. But they might like that look in a bag. And there are people that won't carry leather bags. I have a friend who is a vegetarian and also won't wear or carry leather. So yes, there are other options besides fake patent...but maybe that is what that person likes. So yay for them.

Anyway, that is how I feel.

I don't think we are judging anyone, that surely wasn't my intent, the point we are making is that one can spend a lot of money on something that, if a bit of work was done, could go towards something of better quality. The KVZ bag I bought was a perfect example - it was $100, and at the outlet I got 2 Coach purses for $130 each, trust me - much better quality than KVZ, which had a nasty smell. I also had my eye on a Guess purse that was $130 - the exact same price as the outlet purses, and again, no comparison in quality.

I work part time in a retail ladies clothing store, and tonight I noticed a sweet little swingpack-type purse for $26 - with my 50% employee discount, that's $13, and I bought it. It's really cute for what it is. So I'm totally not against cheaper purses. I (and I think everyone here) am just saying that when you are paying $70+ for a fake or a cheaper quality purse, you could really be doing yourself a dis-service as you could get something at a Coach outlet for not too much more money.

Trust me, no one would in a million years call me anything close to a snob, I would HATE to come across that way to anyone.

i don't judge other's purses... whether they are plastic or leather from target, walmart, khols or the thrift store.... i'm not a snob.....

this reminds me of a thread at the other purse forum where the snobs were bashing people who didn't carry name brand (i don't consider coach designer... it's way too common) purses....

i also don't judge them on the clothes or shoes they wear.... but that's me.....

Last edited:
I enjoy doing this also. One of my friends/co-workers has a shoe obsession. When in Boston and Vegas on business we shopped and she shipped 4 pairs (each trip) back home to Seattle. Yet she carried the same plastic grey bag all year and never changed it. Drove me crazy! :smile: But we shopped well together, her shoe obsession, my bag obsession.

Recently I bought a $89 Nine West Bag on sale + additional 20% for a final price of around $49. I am more excited about this stupid bag than some the more expensive bags I have in my collection It is this great rust color and it looks like real leather and much more expensive than it is. I cannot say that about all Nine West but this one does. I also have several Kathy bags I love. Yes some of them do look gawdy but I have this tapestry one that is very rich looking. Last year I bought a Maxx NY bag for about $189. It was this Platinum color small bowling bag that sold out everywhere and I love, love, loved it. However the bag wore very badly and very fast. Due to that experience I will never buy another.

On the flip side, I recently bought an $800 non-Coach bag that started showing wear within days. So unfortunately it is a crap shoot. But it does bother me when I see ladies with very cheap Walmart-y bags or my pet peeve, canvas bags that are dirty <shiver>

I'm not a snob either ..I was just pointing out how I felt about the women's purses I saw and assumed that they probably still paid a decent amount of money for such a plasticly patent leather handbag and they could've purchased a well named brand one...meaning Coach.. I can't understand how you can say Coach is not a "designer" handbag?? If it wasn't well made and designed well, would it be around for over 50 years?? Just my opinion :graucho: www.handbags.lovetoknow.com/Coach_Handbags