Blatant Mike & Chris knockoff in Bloomingdales!

tiffkatt

O.G.
May 19, 2008
I went to Bloomingdales tonight and I was wearing my Mike & Chris Hugh leather jacket in Indigo that I love. As I was browsing through the clothes, I looked on a rack and saw the same EXACT :wtf: jacket that I was wearing. I had to do a double take. Since when did Bloomies start carrying Mike & Chris, I thought. I took it off the rack..it was the same Indigo very dark navy color..the same pockets, the cropped style, everything, but instead of the inside tag saying Mike & Chris it said "Aqua". My jacket has buttery smooth lambskin and this was a thick stiff leather. Aqua is a brand Bloomies had been carrying for quite a while. I was so shocked that they would carry such a blatant knockoff. There was virtually NO differences in the design other than the inside tag and the lining was a grid instead of stripes like mine. It was the complete replica of the Hugh design. I wouldn't expect much from stores like Forever 21, because they are known for doing this, but Bloomingdales is considered to be a high end department store. As I looked further, I saw on another rack that they had the same jacket in dark brown and black too. The price is $278. I couldn't help but feel cheated. :sad: I know leather jackets / leather hoodies are all the rage right now but I mean, couldn't they atleast make SOME kind of little difference in the design? If they did, I wouldn't be sitting here writing this. But they did not, and somehow this flew under the radar. I would have thought Bloomingdales carefully researches and discusses what they put into their stores, but now I don't know.

What do you think? Should I be mad or am I overreacting?

I actually found it on the Bloomies website but I definitely recommend going and stopping by and seeing it for yourself because their picture isn't that great.

Comparison;

Bloomies:

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=123748&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Mike & Chris:

http://www.singer22.com/michhumoho.html#

not to be prude not everyone has the income for a 800$ leather jacket. this is a much affordable option im assuimg sorta like what shoe companies like steve madden do? , the designs seem very similar though and thats not quite ok in my book.

That happens a lot because in the US the logos and trademarks are protected, but not the design of the garment unless it is patented like the Hermes closure stuff. In Europe, you are right, they cannot do that but in the US it isn't a problem, it is in the same boat as "inspired" bags.

If you think that is bad, have you seen what Macy's and Express did to DvF? Holy cow, a few seasons ago all they carried were DvF "inspired" stuff. How nice of them.

Everything is somehow a rip off of something else. Otherwise, we'd all be running around naked. I've said it before, but the reality is that most people are not going to know the difference anyway.

It was so funny for me to read this thread this morning. I saw these jackets in Bloomies the other day and I thought they looked a lot like the Mike & Chris ones I've been reading about on the forum. I was tempted to purchase one but the only had 2 left and they weren't my size. Perhaps I should go to the larger Bloomies today if it is that good of a copy. Certain items, jewelry and bags to name a few, I want the REAL deal. But clothing, I'm more likely to get copied cause I tire of them sooner!

That happens a lot because in the US the logos and trademarks are protected, but not the design of the garment unless it is patented like the Hermes closure stuff. In Europe, you are right, they cannot do that but in the US it isn't a problem, it is in the same boat as "inspired" bags.

If you think that is bad, have you seen what Macy's and Express did to DvF? Holy cow, a few seasons ago all they carried were DvF "inspired" stuff. How nice of them.

Ugh, its ridiculous. But I don't hold a very high regard for Macys or Express. I do / did for Bloomies because I consider them to be higher up than those stores but this honestly made me very disappointed in them.

You don't really have to look too hard to see the differences in the leather quality.....not everyone can afford $900+ on a jacket so this is a low end alternative

Another good example of this is Banana Republic (high end) GAP, Old Navy. These stores are owned by the same company, and if you look hard enough you will see cheaper versions of what Banana carries at GAP, Old Navy. The quality isn't there... but neither is the price...

The design of the Mike & Chris one doesn't seem that original to me? I'd understand being annoyed if it was a super original/easily identifiable style being knocked off but it just looks like a plain leather jacket with a hood.

Dont get me wrong, the Mike & Chris jacket is HOT but nothing really sets it apart from the 982039843 other leather jackets out there if you know what I mean?

Judging by the pictures you can obviously tell which one has better quality. They look similar but I couldn't say identical without seeing it in person. IMO becuase I am just a highschool student I feel like what if you did by the bloomingdales version? I cant afford 900 bucks for a jacket but I do want to feel stylish. For something like leather coats, I dont mind wearing an inspired version, heck its still leather! However for something like bags and jewerly I couldnt be caught dead in a replica but for clothing, as long as its comfortable and fits well, I could care less