Blake straps looking dull and lifeless

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I have noticed that the straps on my black Blake are dull looking. I tried cleaning and conditioning, and conditioning some more but they still look dull. Compared to the rest of the bag which has a shinyish quality to it, the handles on the bag have become matte and dull looking.

Has anyone else had this experience with a bag they use frequently? It is made of soft calf. Is there maybe a coating of some sort that has rubbed off since the handles would show more wear than the body of the bag?

Any suggestions on what to do?

2. hmmm smooches, i don't know what to tell you. i guess some of my bags have handle wear too but conditioning seems to have helped. what conditioner are you using? have you tried using a clear shoe polish and then buffing for shine?

3. I use the Apple Care Leather Conditioner. I will try the clear shoe polish--just need to go buy some.

4. Really late update to this issue :P

The cobbler/leather repair guy I go to says the straps became dull from skin oil and there is nothing that can be done to restore the original look/shine.

I've gone to a different cobbler before so I'll try and get a second opinion as well.

5. I used Eco Flo Super Sheen on my bags.... It is a bit tricky as it comes out literally like water so you have to smooth it on lightly without saturating the leather... I think i got a jar of it off eBay.

It is eco friendly water based. It seemed to do a decent job on my leathers that need a sheen, just use sparingly until you get the sheen you want.

After that, you can do a polish and buff to maintain.

6. Thanks! I found it on amazon so I'll have to order and try it.