Tech Blackberry, Regular Phone, iPhone....Advice Needed

I know, that's why I want to switch to that BB Curve 8350i soon. I am going crazy, but I don't qualify for my upgrade until November (the full $150 upgrade), which sucks because it would only cost me $150 for this $500 phone. But since I only qualify for the $75 upgrade right now, it would still cost me $400. Ouch!

I have been looking on eBay and it seems the average price for it BNIB is about $300. I guess that's better than $400 and then I wouldn't have to sign another 2 year contract.

I don't like my HTC Touch, and really miss that Qwerty keyboard.

You could ask them for the special premier customer 1 yr upgrade its the full $150 but only for good customers thats how i got mine if you agree to a new 2 yr and ask nicely most sprint employess will help you!!

My DH gave me the BB Storm for Christmas and I absolutely hated it. It was impossibly difficult to text imo. I could not get my finger to touch the right letter and it was very frustrating. Another thing that drove me crazy was that if you needed to put in a password or vm extension during a phone call, you actually had to take the extra step of pulling up a keyboard from the menu.:Push: BIG pain in the rear! Also, the battery life was ridiculously low. I couldn't even make it through a day of meetings without charging it, and I wasn't even on it.:wtf: So, I gave it back and now use the pink BB Curve. I love it! It does everything I could ever want and is very user friendly.:tup:

Wow. That was very therapeutic. I must have had some built up frustration with that awful phone.:graucho:

Did you ever run the software update? Because after I did, my battery life and accuracy improved tremendously. I love my Storm, I can now text just as quickly as I did with my LG EnV2, which has a regular full keyboard. It takes a lot of getting used to, and I've run into some people that can't use them at all, but I really think it's a great phone if you run the update and give yourself some time to get used to the interface, since it's different than every other phone on the market.

It's not the right phone for everyone, and I think it needs one more software update to improve accelerometer speed before it's a great phone, but I've found mine to be more or less a joy to use.

Love BB's. Had the world edition and now the Storm. The Storm does take awhile to get used to but once you do, it has great features, better than my World Edition. But there is a steep learning curve.

^^^^I wonder how steep the learning curve would be coming from an iPod Touch where I am already used to touch screen?

Hmmmm.....maybe during my weekend boredom I'll go check out the different phones!

Did you ever run the software update? Because after I did, my battery life and accuracy improved tremendously. I love my Storm, I can now text just as quickly as I did with my LG EnV2, which has a regular full keyboard. It takes a lot of getting used to, and I've run into some people that can't use them at all, but I really think it's a great phone if you run the update and give yourself some time to get used to the interface, since it's different than every other phone on the market.

It's not the right phone for everyone, and I think it needs one more software update to improve accelerometer speed before it's a great phone, but I've found mine to be more or less a joy to use.

No. I never did any of the updates so maybe that would eliminate the difficulties. To be fair, I'm not a huge techie so maybe my learning curve was a bit more steep. In any case, I am very happy with the Curve.;)

^^^^I wonder how steep the learning curve would be coming from an iPod Touch where I am already used to touch screen?

Hmmmm.....maybe during my weekend boredom I'll go check out the different phones!

I went from an iPod Touch to a Storm and I didn't think it was particularly steep. There are a lot of tricks built in to the Storm to learn, but there are tons of websites that will help you. I went on a date with a guy that had an iPhone last week and we were teasing each other about our phones (iPhone v. Storm is a common battle to get in), and he couldn't figure out how to use mine to save his life because he was trying to apply iPhone principles to it and was uncomfortable pushing down hard enough to select something. It's definitely a firmer touch than the iPhone requires, touching an iPhone feels very delicate in comparison. To me, at least.

Also, the software update is absolutely essential and the phone shouldn't be judged without running the update. It solves a ton of the common problems. It may not make it perfect, but it makes it a much better phone and a lot easier and more accurate to use. When you play with one at the store, ask them if they've run the software update on it. They should have, but who knows.

hey amanda, what version are you running on your phone? the official update that was released in december or do you do the leaked updates?

i've been tempted to try the leaked updates... but i'm too scared!

hey amanda, what version are you running on your phone? the official update that was released in december or do you do the leaked updates?

i've been tempted to try the leaked updates... but i'm too scared!

hmmm...i didn't know there were leaked updates! i'm running the december update, and my old boss (who now runs the cell phone dept at the Best Buy i used to work at) told me that there was another official update slated for early this year. i'm interested to see about these leaked updates, though...gonna have to google around...

goto crackberry.com the recent leak is up to .90! all of the leaks have their bugs tho but i've read that .90 is a lot faster than the last official update. you can get lots of information here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/
the thing i'm most excited about is the .90 comes with a qwerty keyboard in portrait mode!

some people have had issues with getting it installed... and that's where i worry.. cause i know if i'm doing an official update and something goes berzerk then i can take it to verizon.. whereas if you do a leaked up date and it bricks your phone... verizon might just say you're SOL.

Last edited:
goto crackberry.com the recent leak is up to .90! all of the leaks have their bugs tho but i've read that .90 is a lot faster than the last official update. you can get lots of information here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/
the thing i'm most excited about is the .90 comes with a qwerty keyboard in portrait mode!

some people have had issues with getting it installed... and that's where i worry.. cause i know if i'm doing an official update and something goes berzerk then i can take it to verizon.. whereas if you do a leaked up date and it bricks your phone... verizon might just say you're SOL.

Hmm, sounds like it been a bit buggy, but a qwerty keyboard in portrait would be FANTASTIC, imo. Hopefully they'll do an official release of one of these versions soon.

Quick question.....

What is the difference between Curve vs. Bold? Is it just different carriers having different phones?

I was looking on Verizon and saw how cheap the Curve is compared to the Storm. I mean, I'll try both of them out....but the Crackberry forums are kind of scaring me on the Storm (so many problems people are reporting!)!

in my opinion about the negative comments about the storm... some of those people had TOO high of hopes for it... i mean it was being compared to the iphone. no phone is going to be as good as the iphone right at it's release... the iphone has been out for awhile and had time to work out it's bugs.

i currently know 3 people, plus myself, in my everyday life that have bought the storm and no one has had any problems with it. 2 people i was REALLY nervous about them buying it (they both had regular flip phones) but so far so good.

in my opinion about the negative comments about the storm... some of those people had TOO high of hopes for it... i mean it was being compared to the iphone. no phone is going to be as good as the iphone right at it's release... the iphone has been out for awhile and had time to work out it's bugs.

i currently know 3 people, plus myself, in my everyday life that have bought the storm and no one has had any problems with it. 2 people i was REALLY nervous about them buying it (they both had regular flip phones) but so far so good.

I tend to agree. Any brand making a particular type of interface for the first time, especially an interface as delicate as a touch interface, is going to run in to bugs. Any that I've run in to have not been so severe as to make me not like the phone because my expectations of the phone were accurate. When you're buying something that's brand new and never been done before, you have to expect it to need a bit of work at first.

Quick question.....

What is the difference between Curve vs. Bold? Is it just different carriers having different phones?

I was looking on Verizon and saw how cheap the Curve is compared to the Storm. I mean, I'll try both of them out....but the Crackberry forums are kind of scaring me on the Storm (so many problems people are reporting!)!

The Curve has been out for a couple of years already and the Bold more recent. RIM really streamlined the Bold and redesigned the keypad. The new Curve (8900) follows this same design. The biggest difference is that the Bold runs on the 3G network and is currently only offered by AT&T.