Black Sails on STARZ

katran26

Bargain Hunter!
O.G.
Aug 25, 2008
Searched for a thread on this - couldn't find one...which is surprising considering how good a show it is.

I got into it recently, am playing catch-up, but I read that there won't be a 5th season which is sad. I think the show had a ton of promise, and the acting is amazing (for all the male leads).

I think I started a thread on this long ago but no one watches!! Super sad that it is coming to an end this season. But I suppose there is only so much they can do, given the specific period in time they are dealing with.

I think I started a thread on this long ago but no one watches!! Super sad that it is coming to an end this season. But I suppose there is only so much they can do, given the specific period in time they are dealing with.

I hear that - I think a lot of women don't watch it because of the topic, but I sooooooo think it's worth giving a shot. The actors are SUPERB. The guy who plays Long John Silver is superb.

I definitely thought it was a show geared towards men, and wasn't really a fan of pirate movies (a la Pirates of the Caribbean), but this is just fantastic.

I actually read that their beautiful set in Capetown burned down - and because of that they financially couldn't afford any more seasons...which is a bummer because I think it's a really well-done show.

I hear that - I think a lot of women don't watch it because of the topic, but I sooooooo think it's worth giving a shot. The actors are SUPERB. The guy who plays Long John Silver is superb.

I definitely thought it was a show geared towards men, and wasn't really a fan of pirate movies (a la Pirates of the Caribbean), but this is just fantastic.

I actually read that their beautiful set in Capetown burned down - and because of that they financially couldn't afford any more seasons...which is a bummer because I think it's a really well-done show.

What a bummer, I didn't know that! Silver does a great job, as does Captain Flint. I haven't read Treasure Island, but my husband has, so he is familiar with the majority of the characters. This also causes him to point out flaws in their writing at times lol

Reactions: katran26
What a bummer, I didn't know that! Silver does a great job, as does Captain Flint. I haven't read Treasure Island, but my husband has, so he is familiar with the majority of the characters. This also causes him to point out flaws in their writing at times lol

I think the actor who plays Captain Flint had done a lot of Shakespeare, and it definitely shows in his acting...

I didn't see the finale last night, but I followed the cast on twitter, so sad to see them all say goodbye. Was a good series. They had to shut it down prematurely because their set burned down, would've liked maybe one more season.

Probably one of the most underrated shows.

I love this show. It's on my top five in recent years.
I tried watching it when the show first stared but I didn't like John Silver and the story didn't catch my interest right away so i gave up on it. But friends kept recommending it to me so I gave it another go and boy, am I glad I did.
The story is so good and the acting is brilliant. I find all the characters interesting. It's not like on Game of Thrones where I love a few of the characters and really couldn't care less about the rest. In Black Sails I'm invested in almost all of them. And there is great character development. I never did learn to like John Silver at first but he grew into someone I enjoyed watching.
I'm sad the show has come to an end but I'm so thankful that the writers got to tell the story they wanted to tell. I'm looking forward in seeing all of them in new projects.

Reactions: katran26
Overall I thought it was a pretty good ending. Probably a little too happy fairytale ending for a pirate's life, but I like how they actually wrapped everything up and didn't really leave you wondering. The only thing I had an issue with was Flint kissing his lover in public because you know that would have never happened back then!

Overall I thought it was a pretty good ending. Probably a little too happy fairytale ending for a pirate's life, but I like how they actually wrapped everything up and didn't really leave you wondering. The only thing I had an issue with was Flint kissing his lover in public because you know that would have never happened back then!
I love that that they got to tie up all loose ends and the show had a proper ending but I would not say the show didn't leave me wondering.
Was Captain Flint reunited with the love of his life or did John Silver kill him in the forest? When they cut away from Sliver holding a gun on Flint, you see birds fly up as if startled by a noise and you see Silvers men turn around as if they heard something. Did Silver shoot him in the forest and made up a story about Flint surviving to try and make Madi forgive him and to avoid making Flint a martyr? As you said, Flint's reunion with Hamilton did seen like a dream world or maybe one of Silvers many made up stories.
This theory does not hold up if you think of Black sails as a prequel to Treasure Island, where Flint dies in Savannah, alone and a drunk many years later.

I love that that they got to tie up all loose ends and the show had a proper ending but I would not say the show didn't leave me wondering.
Was Captain Flint reunited with the love of his life or did John Silver kill him in the forest? When they cut away from Sliver holding a gun on Flint, you see birds fly up as if startled by a noise and you see Silvers men turn around as if they heard something. Did Silver shoot him in the forest and made up a story about Flint surviving to try and make Madi forgive him and to avoid making Flint a martyr? As you said, Flint's reunion with Hamilton did seen like a dream world or maybe one of Silvers many made up stories.
This theory does not hold up if you think of Black sails as a prequel to Treasure Island, where Flint dies in Savannah, alone and a drunk many years later.

You make a good point!! I assumed since they played it all out, that's how it happened. My husband had also had issues with how it relates to real history and Treasure Island. Black Beard was executed in the States I think he said, not at sea. As someone who has not read the book and isn't a super pirate buff, it worked for me.

You make a good point!! I assumed since they played it all out, that's how it happened. My husband had also had issues with how it relates to real history and Treasure Island. Black Beard was executed in the States I think he said, not at sea. As someone who has not read the book and isn't a super pirate buff, it worked for me.
Black Sails is all about storytelling. As Jack Rackham said at the very end "A story is true, a story is untrue. As time extends it matters less and less. The stories we want to believe. Those are the ones that survive. Despite upheaval and transition and progress. Those are the stories that shape history"
Yes, I have watched the show more than once. I think it's brilliant.