Black or Ivory Classic Stam

• Black - Grainy Leather

• Black - Nappa Leather

• Ivory - Grainy Leather

Results are only viewable after voting.

Riahnna

O.G.
Oct 27, 2007
+1 for ivory. I have a white stam, it's gorgeous, elegant and it definitely stands out more than the black stam.:tup:

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
The Windy City
I voted for the Black, but in Nappa leather which means you'd have to watch ebay for one -- as far as I know, the only Nappa leather stams were the ones made during that first season (f/w 2005) with suede lining. I have 3 stams, one of which is a 1st season Petrol and of all 3, that bag is the lightest weight - even with the suede lining.

IMO, the leather on those stams is way better than the calf leather versions sold now. They're so soft and squishy and really look great. BUT, if you're looking to buy a brand new one from the MJ store, my vote is for black. Mainly because (1) Black is such a basic color that will go with EVERYTHING, (2) the Stam is a classic that should last a lifetime, and black will just be easier to maintain and retain its original look 10-20 years from now.

But if you're looking for something for immediate satisfaction and not longevity, then you should probably choose the Ivory since you already have 2 other designer black bags.

glamrock girl

Feb 17, 2007
thank you for you help iluvmybag. I totally agree with you. i want a classic bag that last for years. i want the nappa leather in black, that is the soft leather right? not the grainy one right. i think SF MJ is sending me the black in the grainy leather. I think I would like the soft leather more since i already have the grainy leahter in the chanel tote. I guess I will have to wait to see. the SA at MJ said i shoudl have the bags by Monday. I can't wait.

glamrock girl

Feb 17, 2007
Hi iluvmybags, do you think you can post your black soft nappa leather bag for me so i can compare the difference between the two leathers? I would really appreciate it. thanks!

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
The Windy City
I don't have a Black Stam with Nappa leather (altho I'd like to get one someday!!) -- mine is Petrol Blue, which is made from the same type of leather. They called "Icy" because it has a sheen or gloss to it, which makes it look like it's coated with Ice -- but the leather is Nappa leather which is VERY soft & lighter weight than calf leather.

Here's a few pics of my Petrol Stam -- while it's not black, it'll give you an idea of what the leather from those 1st season looked like -- there was actually a 1st Season Black Stam listed on ebay that apparently ended with a winner that backed out -- there was talk that she was going to relist it, but it doesn't look like that's happened (http://cgi.ebay.com/TRENDY-MARC-JAC...ryZ63852QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

This is how the bag looks when it's stuffed:

And this is with nothing inside (see how much it slouches? Calf leather versions don't usually slouch this much -- at least not for quite some time after lots & lots of use!)

And here's a closeup of the leather (as well as the one attached)

Attachments

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
The Windy City
this might not be the greatest, but here's a split screen of my Topaz Stam (which is quilted calf [grainy] leather) and my Petrol Stam (which is quilted icy nappa leather)

jun3machina

hopelessly addicted
O.G.
Apr 11, 2006
i think the black stam is so different from a black chanel, that you can have both and not feel like you have too many black bags.

from a logical standpoint as well:
*the black is seasonless
*it is more durable than the ivory
* the resale value is better
* it's more versatile over seasons and between an evening and day bag

jun3machina

hopelessly addicted
O.G.
Apr 11, 2006
actually, originally, there were 'nappa' leather bags and 'icey' leather bags with the 05 season. The nappa leather is a completely smooth, matte leather, similar to nubuck or thereabouts.:yes: i think it was only produced in the 05 year and then he used just regular grain leather...

a lot of MJ tags refer to the leather as 'nappa', but it was actually a leather style way back in 05 ;)

I don't have a Black Stam with Nappa leather (altho I'd like to get one someday!!) -- mine is Petrol Blue, which is made from the same type of leather. They called "Icy" because it has a sheen or gloss to it, which makes it look like it's coated with Ice -- but the leather is Nappa leather which is VERY soft & lighter weight than calf leather.

Here's a few pics of my Petrol Stam -- while it's not black, it'll give you an idea of what the leather from those 1st season looked like -- there was actually a 1st Season Black Stam listed on ebay that apparently ended with a winner that backed out -- there was talk that she was going to relist it, but it doesn't look like that's happened (http://cgi.ebay.com/TRENDY-MARC-JACOBS-QUILTED-STAM-BAG-BLACK-1350-00_W0QQitemZ160208518930QQihZ006QQcategoryZ63852QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

This is how the bag looks when it's stuffed:

And this is with nothing inside (see how much it slouches? Calf leather versions don't usually slouch this much -- at least not for quite some time after lots & lots of use!)

And here's a closeup of the leather (as well as the one attached)

Feb 21, 2006
UK
I initially thought the black, but saw your post about your black Chanel. I would second the suggestion to look at your current bag collection and see if one color would fill a void more than another. You can't go wrong with either!
Agreed. I was going to say black but since you just got a black Chanel maybe you should get an Ivory stam...

glamrock girl

Feb 17, 2007
this might not be the greatest, but here's a split screen of my Topaz Stam (which is quilted calf [grainy] leather) and my Petrol Stam (which is quilted icy nappa leather)

thank you so much for sharing pics of your Stam with me. Its beautiful. I received the Ivory and Black Stam todays and i have to say the leather is quite stiff. does the grainy calf leather get softer over time? I wish it wasn't so hard and stiff. For some reasons I was at bloomingdales and some of the MJ bags in calf leather were softer in general. i hope the leather gets softer when it's broken in. Looks like the ivory is winning the poll so i'm thinking of keeping the ivory and return the black. not sure yet. i do like both but then again i have too many black handbags. thanks for your help again.

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
The Windy City
the quilted leather will soften with age & use -- it may not get as soft as soft calf bags do, but Stams do soften over time -- If you really want a soft stam, but don't want to wait for it to become broken int, you might want to consider a Patchwork version. Those are much softer than the quilted versions and also weigh a little less