Choose one

• $2700 lambskin

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • $3900 caviar

Votes: 17 42.5%

• Total voters

graci3

Apr 4, 2019
Hi I’m buying a preloved black mini because they’re hard to find in the boutiques.

Which would you choose? Let’s say the condition is the same. I wouldn’t have it just sit in the closet but it won’t be an every single day bag either. And I do have two toddlers..

Lambskin $2700.
PROS: Better deal. Luxurious look and feel.
CON: Have to be more careful with it.

Caviar $3900.
PROS: Carefree. Might hold structure better and/or age better.
CON: Priced above retail.

Thanks! I’ve read the threads on lambskin vs. caviar but just wanted to get a vote on this particular situation with the big price difference.

I am team caviar so my vote goes to Caviar, and word has it that caviar minis are even rarer now that they're not in production for some time so i think the rarity justifies its price. I personally find the caviar more luxurious to look at because of its beautiful pebbled sheen (depending on the batch quality of course) haha. And if you plan to carry the mini around with your 2 toddlers then maybe it's the more carefree material for you.

I am team caviar so my vote goes to Caviar, and word has it that caviar minis are even rarer now that they're not in production for some time so i think the rarity justifies its price. I personally find the caviar more luxurious to look at because of its beautiful pebbled sheen (depending on the batch quality of course) haha. And if you plan to carry the mini around with your 2 toddlers then maybe it's the more carefree material for you.
Yes caviar would definitely be less worrisome with kids! I would love to find rich-looking black caviar. It is hard for me to tell batch quality through online pictures. I had previously purchased a M/L in caviar but upon receiving, the caviar looked grey and plastic which made me lean towards lambskin.

i think 2018 (specifically 18s, imo) batch is great, i have a caviar from this series (#25) and it's very lovely! beautiful sheen, beautiful grains which are not dull dry or matte. there's even a thread here dedicated to the caviar from this season i think:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/photos-of-mini-rectangle-18s-please-share.982359/

and another one here that discusses caviar from 2018 too:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/this-seasons-caviar.991977/

if you do pick caviar i think you will enjoy the caviar from that season :smile: good luck for your final decision and keep us updated!

Reactions: thefashionact
Lambskin. Sorry, but that is too much of a premium to pay for a caviar bag, preloved no less. You said you won't use it daily anyway so pick the more luxurious-feeling one for special times and get the huge savings. All that extra savings can go towards your kids.

i think 2018 (specifically 18s, imo) batch is great, i have a caviar from this series (#25) and it's very lovely! beautiful sheen, beautiful grains which are not dull dry or matte. there's even a thread here dedicated to the caviar from this season i think:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/photos-of-mini-rectangle-18s-please-share.982359/

and another one here that discusses caviar from 2018 too:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/this-seasons-caviar.991977/

if you do pick caviar i think you will enjoy the caviar from that season :smile: good luck for your final decision and keep us updated!

Thank you! This is extremely helpful! I was having a hard time distinguishing which series had the nicer caviar.

Lambskin. Sorry, but that is too much of a premium to pay for a caviar bag, preloved no less. You said you won't use it daily anyway so pick the more luxurious-feeling one for special times and get the huge savings. All that extra savings can go towards your kids.

Thanks! Honestly this is my feeling as well. The huge savings is a big factor for me. I just didn’t want to regret it if the lambskin didn’t last as long. Then I would feel like the savings didn’t end up being worth it

Reactions: beemeowmeow
I think it'd be better if you can decide which one you like the most and then look one within the price range you're comfortable to pay. If you buy the cheaper version just because of the cheaper price, there is a risk that you end up buying eventually both... unless you've planned to buy both. In my opinion, both of them are overpriced. I managed to get my mini after 2 years of waiting from store and it's worth of waiting.
If it's not a "must" for you to get the classic, you might like to consider a calf mini: https://www.chanel.com/de_DE/mode/p...e-kalbsleder-goldfarbenes-metall-schwarz.html

Reactions: llviolet
I think it'd be better if you can decide which one you like the most and then look one within the price range you're comfortable to pay. If you buy the cheaper version just because of the cheaper price, there is a risk that you end up buying eventually both... unless you've planned to buy both. In my opinion, both of them are overpriced. I managed to get my mini after 2 years of waiting from store and it's worth of waiting.
If it's not a "must" for you to get the classic, you might like to consider a calf mini: https://www.chanel.com/de_DE/mode/p...e-kalbsleder-goldfarbenes-metall-schwarz.html
That makes sense. So I like the look and feel of the lambskin better, but I'm worried about whether it will stay looking nice. It's hard to find the caviar mini in store and SAs kept telling me they might only be made in lambskin from now on.

My lambskin mini is about 4 or 5 years old now. I don't carry it on weekdays for work but was using it every weekend for months and I still do on most weekends, it looks pristine and I don't baby my bags. I condition with Apple Leather Care once a year and that helps keep my bag shiny. Don't be scare of lambskin, it's way hardier than people think.

My lambskin mini is about 4 or 5 years old now. I don't carry it on weekdays for work but was using it every weekend for months and I still do on most weekends, it looks pristine and I don't baby my bags. I condition with Apple Leather Care once a year and that helps keep my bag shiny. Don't be scare of lambskin, it's way hardier than people think.
Good to know! Does your mini have creasing on the side flaps like this? Or do you think this is excessive?

754BA608-6BA7-42D8-A691-785D5E94E207.jpeg

Wait for caviar to be released? Not sure when that will happen...loathed to pay extra for a caviar bag. You are clearly not 100% comfortable with lambskin. Not sure if either of these options you have at the moment will work for you long term.

Hi I’m buying a preloved black mini because they’re hard to find in the boutiques.

Which would you choose? Let’s say the condition is the same. I wouldn’t have it just sit in the closet but it won’t be an every single day bag either. And I do have two toddlers..

Lambskin $2700.
PROS: Better deal. Luxurious look and feel.
CON: Have to be more careful with it.

Caviar $3900.
PROS: Carefree. Might hold structure better and/or age better.
CON: Priced above retail.

Thanks! I’ve read the threads on lambskin vs. caviar but just wanted to get a vote on this particular situation with the big price difference.
I won't advise on the leather (both have pros/cons) but the caviar's seems to be overpriced. I recently sold excellent condition/full documentation mini rect dark navy 18 series (didn't really suit me) on Vestiaire (also tried in my home country) and nobody wanted to buy it for around $3k and I sold it eventually at a major loss vs what I paid to a reseller.