Black Medium Classic Flap in Caviar Leather with SHW - Keep or Let Go?

Keep Or Let Go?

• Total voters

val

O.G.
May 8, 2006
Hello Friends , :wave:

I had another thread where I was debating between the black medium caviar flap and the medium beige flap and after a few agonizing days, I decided on the black. I had purchased the bag through my SA and did not see the bag IRL but the bag in the picture looked gorgeous. However, when I received the black today, I was/am underwhelmed. I think it has to do with the pebbles being "bigger" and the bag just didn't have the "sophisticated" look. I remember when I first saw my so black Boy Bag, it was love at first sight. It wasn't like that with this bag, unfortunately. The color also looks like a dark charcoal to me as opposed to black.

Maybe perhaps I was expecting too much from the bag but to me, the bag just didn't have that wow factor.

In any case, I've been trying the bag on with a few outfits, and interestingly, the bag is "growing" on me. The more I look at it, the more I'm "digging" it. The bag does have this cool and edgy vibe to it but at the same time it does look classy (IMO). My policy regarding chanel bags is to only keep the ones where my heart "sings" at the sight of it or where I am over the moon or if I'm so excited, I'm jumping out of my skin (obviously due to the bags being so expensive).

But this bag, for some reason, seems to be an exception. I didn't love it and first but am "learning" to love it, if you know what I mean?

For those who have this bag or had it but didn't keep, could you provide some insights on why you love it or why you do not?

Or if not this bag, do you have a bag that you didn't love at first but grew to love it? :whut:

I'm on the fence with this one since I don't want to keep it and regret later ( I also hate selling my bags as well)

Thank you everyone!
Val

If you dont like it better let it go. Some items I like but I have too many in the same category I would also sell because I only stay with what made me totally satisfied when I use them everyday.

If the bag doesn't sing to you, I would usually give it time (within the exchange/return period), see if works, & then only decide to return if I dont love her. Anyhow, the so blacks are actually grained lambskin, & though it looks like caviar, the material has a bit of a sheen/finish that the grained calfskin doesn't.

I noticed Chanel starts to use smaller grained caviars last year in 17C, and lots of debates sparks of how it doesnt look like the older caviar with bigger grain/more rigid finish. And every year the caviar finish differs, and some times different caviar on different colors too. I have seen some of the m/l flaps over the years, and I do agree some of the caviar finishes doesnt agree with me. My dislike would be those with the rubbery feel.

Think about it. And if it doesnt work for you, it is ok. M/l is a classic line & you can always find one that sings to you in future.

P/s: not if this would effect your decision, but I heard possible price increases in US & europe in near future. Hope its just a rumour.

Last edited:
Would reference starprism's comments. If you were comparing the caviar with the so black boy, that would definitely be different as the material on the so black boy is grained lambskin and as far as I know the first and only time that this material had been used so far by Chanel. The so black boy material is new - wont and shouldn't be expected to be the same as the classic caviar (which is calfskin). Absolutely it can be a personal preference that you may like that look better (many do!). Personally I love them both - for different reasons).

That said, I have both bags in my collection. I am a bit surprised by your comment of the bag not being as black/deep black as your so black boy material, etc. I am curious as to whether or not you had the chance in the past to see the classic caviar in person in the past perhaps in the stores? the reason I ask that is because as mentioned by Starprism, while "most" are of the classic quality that we all love and adore (it's like winning the jackpot IMO), sometimes, like all things, there are exceptions where a few somehow get past and you may have seen sometimes on the forum a few may talk about how their bag looks plastic like or not as black etc. Those are more exception than the rule though I think (but depends on the season too I think).

Anyway, for reference, when I look at my caviar M/L compared to my so black boy bag, it's actually much deeper black, and it's quite frankly one of my best caviar bag material wise (purely per my personal opinion and preference of course). I do just want to share that at least in my situation, the classic caviar bag has a deeper black color than my so black boy color (and I had more than 1 so black boys available for me to pick from on reserve so it wasn't that the so black boy was not the expected color). I think they all differ slightly and unless your classic bag is VERY different than the other ones you've seen in person, I would say it's no reason for alarm! Just thought i'd chime in that you should probably have a point of reference on what the color usually look like in order to better judge. Personally I really love the versatility and quality of the classic caviar M/L so if it's not a problem and you're loving it, then keep for sure! however, the only way to find out if it's in the expected range is probably by seeing a few of them in person/in store for comparison because photos are difficult to compare against given lighting, computer display variations, and various factors (maybe a fried has one too?)

Here's a pic of the m/l and my mini from cruise. To me, the mini looks more polished, if you will, whereas the m/l appears grainy and not as dark.

Having said that, does the m/l look "normal" in terms of color?

If this looks normal then I'm inclined to keep since it's the classic of classics as someone here said and I would love to add it to my collection.

Val

Attachments

• 20170509_120337.jpeg
    20170509_120337.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 271
Here's a pic of the m/l and my mini from cruise. To me, the mini looks more polished, if you will, whereas the m/l appears grainy and not as dark.

Having said that, does the m/l look "normal" in terms of color?

If this looks normal then I'm inclined to keep since it's the classic of classics as someone here said and I would love to add it to my collection.

Val

Wow for some reason the pebbles does look bigger. This is a toughie but me personally I would keep it because 1, its black (or it looks black to me) 2, its caviar (im a clumsy person) and 3, the sizing is perfect for the things I carry.

Its such a beautiful bag to add to a collection :smile:

I think the classic flap is an awesome bag. I bought it earlier this year and so wished I had started with this bag in collection as I love it to bits. I use it for day to night wear and from casual to formal wear. I feel it goes with everything and can carry all my essentials.