Black Hardware - What's your experience?

roxta

O.G.
Nov 3, 2007
A couple of the Saint Laurent bags on my wishlist have the black hardware and I wondered: If your bag has black hardware, how has it held up with use? I have heard stories about the black paint chipping and this is something that concerns me, especially in areas with constant friction between pieces of hardware, like shoulder strap clasps, etc.
45334351DM_14_f.jpg

Reactions: LAsun
I have the large collage bag black on black and I have no chipping on the YSL logo but if I lift the chain bits and look were they meet I can see one or two tiny places were it has started to chip. However that's between the chain links and I have to lift them apart to see anything. I have no chipping on YSL logo and I also have the credit card slip with black hardware and I definitely don't baby it and it has zero wear. However I know a friend of mine bought this bag New from Harrods and it already had chipping on the chain so she returned.

I have the large collage bag black on black and I have no chipping on the YSL logo but if I lift the chain bits and look were they meet I can see one or two tiny places were it has started to chip. However that's between the chain links and I have to lift them apart to see anything. I have no chipping on YSL logo and I also have the credit card slip with black hardware and I definitely don't baby it and it has zero wear. However I know a friend of mine bought this bag New from Harrods and it already had chipping on the chain so she returned.
Perhaps after being returned due to the chipping issue, the bag goes straight back onto the shelves, in hope that the next buyer may not notice...

Where you can see areas that have started to chip on your chain links, is the exposed metal still black/dark or silver-toned? Is it very obvious that it is a different color underneath?

Hmm it's hard to tell as it's under the links but I would say it's gold/silver coloured. This is a pic I took when I examined my bag:

View attachment 3606141
Thank you for the photo. I can see what you mean - it looks like it's a contrasting light metallic surface underneath the black coating. I guess this is something that I really need to consider if I do purchase a bag with the black hardware. It won't be noticeable in hidden areas but I think that with the Sac De Jour, for example, I would need to be prepared for visible chipping on the D-rings where the shoulder strap clips on and possibly on the zipper of the inner pouch as well.

A couple of the Saint Laurent bags on my wishlist have the black hardware and I wondered: If your bag has black hardware, how has it held up with use? I have heard stories about the black paint chipping and this is something that concerns me, especially in areas with constant friction between pieces of hardware, like shoulder strap clasps, etc.
View attachment 3605176

I've had this exact bag for about two months and thankfully there has been no chipping of the black hardware thus far.

View attachment 3605176
I had the same concern but I have a classic satchel with black hardware with no chipping so far.

I purchased the medium Kate flap bag with the black hardware almost a year ago and it has no noticeable chipping or wear. I don't carry the bag very often though. I do have some minor marks under some chain links like Swedengirl mentioned above, but overall it's doing fine.

Hi everyone'! I am thinking about getting these two pieces with black hardware:

IMG_1487504326.847669.jpgIMG_1487504346.170515.jpg

Does anyone have them? Have you hd any problems with the hardware chipping? Customer service it terrible at my local store so I am afraid that if I have problems with it they will not do anything about it

Or should i get these with the silver hardware?
Thanks dolls [emoji8]

Hi everyone'! I am thinking about getting these two pieces with black hardware:

View attachment 3610313View attachment 3610314

Does anyone have them? Have you hd any problems with the hardware chipping? Customer service it terrible at my local store so I am afraid that if I have problems with it they will not do anything about it

Or should i get these with the silver hardware?
Thanks dolls [emoji8]

I have both, Well the college bag is large that I have but both black hardware and on credit card slip which I use daily there isn't one mark it looks brand new and I bought mine oct (?) last year. The bag only has chipping between links as I have shown above.

Reactions: LAsun and Acctt
I have both, Well the college bag is large that I have but both black hardware and on credit card slip which I use daily there isn't one mark it looks brand new and I bought mine oct (?) last year. The bag only has chipping between links as I have shown above.

Thanks sweetie! May I ask you for pics? I am so worried about chipping [emoji85][emoji85]

I have a Saint Laurent Sac de Jour with black hardware and padlock. It is in great condition no chipping. Black hardware is so sleek and stylish, I love the understated rock vibe.

Do you use yours with the shoulder strap? if so, how are the strap claps and D-rings faring?

Hi, yes i use it mostly with the shoulder strap. I have been using it a lot regularly and it still looks new. No scratches or wear and tear. However, i do not chuck my bag around like a crazy person and i don't carry extremely heavy things. I think if you overload the bag it will pull at the D-rings and strap clasps. I think that will happen to any bag of any brand.

Reactions: Sanaa_77
Hi, yes i use it mostly with the shoulder strap. I have been using it a lot regularly and it still looks new. No scratches or wear and tear. However, i do not chuck my bag around like a crazy person and i don't carry extremely heavy things. I think if you overload the bag it will pull at the D-rings and strap clasps. I think that will happen to any bag of any brand.
That makes sense. Thank you for sharing your experience.