Black handles

MrGoyard

Obsessed with Goyard
Aug 4, 2011
The Netherlands
I have my little love (Speedy 40) for 5 months now and I'm still really careful when I use it.
A couple of days ago I discovered that one of my handles is like black, especially at the bottom of my handle. I'm heartbroken because I love my bag so much. I really have no idea what it might be, I'm sure that it is not from alcohol. But what could it be?

I also consider to treat it with a spray, since this is a protection. Has anyone here experience with leather sprays?

Oh and my last question. How can I get rid of stains on my canvas?

xoxo

AndyLVoe

Feb 9, 2010
Alberta, Canada
if its just spots on the canvas, you can wipe them off with a clean damp (not wet) cloth. as far as the black handles.. I dont know. There are threads, on how to clean the stains on the handles, but nobody ever really comes to a consensus on that.. so for vachetta on my LV bags, I dont treat them with anything, I'm super careful. and they're all spotless. Good luck.

needlv

O.G.
Jan 11, 2008
Australia
I cleaned my darkened handles with a microfibre cloth and water. After they had dried, I then re-treated them with a leather protect spray (I use kiwi spray - 3 coats) and it is fine.

baghorr

Nov 19, 2011
NY
I have a similar problem. I took my speedy out shopping and when I got in the car I noticed a couple small grey/black stains on my handles! I dunno what or how that happened! All I can think of is my silver ring left the marks? Would that be possible? I didn't touch anything, no lotion, sanitizer or anything! Just he bag in my hands!

ehy210

Apr 21, 2011
if the marks are greyish, and you suspect it came from some kind of metal, you can try using a CLEAN eraser and gently erase it away. If you're talking about black handles from moisture/sweat, I don't know how to help with that. Goodluck!

Serina

Handbags and Horses
Jul 4, 2009
In the saddle.
I have a similar problem. I took my speedy out shopping and when I got in the car I noticed a couple small grey/black stains on my handles! I dunno what or how that happened! All I can think of is my silver ring left the marks? Would that be possible? I didn't touch anything, no lotion, sanitizer or anything! Just he bag in my hands!
WOW! I didnt think of that! I wear silver rings all the time. My handles are grey on the underside... it used to bother me, but I just let it go eventually...

baghorr

Nov 19, 2011
NY
WOW! I didnt think of that! I wear silver rings all the time. My handles are grey on the underside... it used to bother me, but I just let it go eventually...
Oh my gosh! This is horrible! I wonder if it's our rings for sure??? Hmmm, maybe we outta take a poll or something? I'm kinda new here, so dunno how to do much, but there must be a way we could get alot of members to comment on this possibility?

Serina

Handbags and Horses
Jul 4, 2009
In the saddle.
Oh my gosh! This is horrible! I wonder if it's our rings for sure??? Hmmm, maybe we outta take a poll or something? I'm kinda new here, so dunno how to do much, but there must be a way we could get alot of members to comment on this possibility?
I think it might be the case... but also I suspect its just general dirt... from touching handles on staircases, doorknobs, and traffic dust... The world is a dirty place, and our vachetta pays the price.:shocked:

Shoebaglady

~Totes & Pockets~
Oct 5, 2011
~Canada~
From the photo, it looks like colour transfer to me. My handles had black on them but it was on the entire piece that I held with my hands.

I used magic eraser and lots of leather conditioner. It improved it but didn't get rid of it entirely.

On a side note, when I see vintage speedy's, the vachetta isn't black but a nice tan colour with a shiny coating. Has LV changed the vachetta b/c I see more black handles on newer speedy's.

AndyLVoe

Feb 9, 2010
Alberta, Canada
I posted a new thread, but here's a pic of my handle

View attachment 1543834
Its a slight dirt smudge.. maybe even from your rings.. who knows.. just simply use a WHITE paper eraser, rub the eraser over the smudge, it'll come right off, its what the SA's at Louis Vuitton recommend, and there is no water involved. I used a white paper eraser on my bag this morning actually. =) Good Luck..
BTW you can buy the white paper erasers at staples or office depot, anywhere they sell school/art supplies.